Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jessica Jones [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm wondering if there was a subtle hint that Hogarth and her firm are representing Fisk. In episode 7 Jessica corners Hogarth outside the courts as she is heading in to defend a client in what is being called a precedent setting case. Jessica flippantly dismisses this as a guilty rich dude for fraud. But I'm wondering, although Fisk is facing far more than fraud charges perhaps that's just Jessica being flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I can't remember if we see Fisks lawyer in the the last episode of the season. Considering he was involved in the shooting of police officers and that it was caught on live TV i would think only the Purpleman could get Fisk found innocent.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am nearly finished Narcos, haven't watched Daredevil, so should one watch Daredevil before Jessica Jones? I didn't know they were linked until I read some of the above posts.

You can watch either one it makes no difference- their plots are pretty much self-contained. There is a character in JJ that refers to the existence of Daredevil but it has no effect on the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

"My parents were killed, I didn't start raping people."

Bravo Marvel, bravo.
    iguana wrote: »
    Even more confusing about when it's set is the fact that it's the same continuity as Agents of SHIELD where at present America is experiencing a massive boom in meta-humans appearing. So much so that the public is anxious about it, it's international news and the President has to take public steps to try contain the threat. In that world people would have believed in Kilgrave much more readily and once Trish used her highest rated radio show in the city to publicise his existence, SHIELD, the ACTU and maybe even Lash would have been combing Hell's Kitchen for him. So presumably the beginning of this series (at least) is set before the 3rd series of SHIELD.
    Both first seasons of DD and JJ are set after AoS season 1, but before season 2. So, way before season 3 of AoS.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm about to start a rewatch, I needed a bit to unwind after it, it's a tough watch. I've read critiques of it, so now I'm wondering how it'll settle with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Watched it all over the weekend. Really enjoyed it and thought David Tennant was great.
    Will be looking out for season 2 of this and Daredevil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Myself and the wife finished it this weekend...
    Not a huge fan, I got a bit happy when Rosario Dawson appeared...

Luke Cage didn´t seem too strong, for Power Man, or too charasmatic for his own series..
    As for Jessica, really didn´t take to her...
    anyway.. Can´t wait for Daredevil, series 2..!

Yeah Luke Cage seemed to written like he was had terminator strength: slow, slightly stronger than a human, but his main asset is he can take a lot of punishment. Jessica Jones was extremely weak compared to an avenger but has similar strength to the metahumans depicted in Agents of Shield. They could beat up Daredevil though, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeah Luke Cage seemed to written like he was had terminator strength: slow, slightly stronger than a human, but his main asset is he can take a lot of punishment. Jessica Jones was extremely weak compared to an avenger but has similar strength to the metahumans depicted in Agents of Shield. They could beat up Daredevil though, probably.

Well Daredevil has no super strength, so I don't think there's any question they could beat him up ... is there? Luckily they're all on the same side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Luke Cage was shown to be very strong I thought. Punched through some sturdy walls etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jessica Jones was extremely weak compared to an avenger but has similar strength to the metahumans depicted in Agents of Shield.

Weak compared to an Avenger? Compared to Thor, the Hulk and Stark in his Iron Man suit, sure. But compared to Hawkeye, Widow and Cap she's significantly stronger and she can fly. The point is that she's completely untrained and has no idea how to use her powers to anything even close to their full potential.

iguana wrote: »
    Weak compared to an Avenger? Compared to Thor, the Hulk and Stark in his Iron Man suit, sure. But compared to Hawkeye, Widow and Cap she's significantly stronger and she can fly. The point is that she's completely untrained and has no idea how to use her powers to anything even close to their full potential.

I guess because she's vulnerable to weapons she would lose to even those three. Also I think she can just jump high and guide herself rather than fly (probably different in the comics). I'm glad she and Luke cage are more like bar-brawlers rather than ninjas like daredevil.

I guess because she's vulnerable to weapons she would lose to even those three. Also I think she can just jump high and guide herself rather than fly (probably different in the comics). I'm glad she and Luke cage are more like bar-brawlers rather than ninjas like daredevil.

But those three are even more vulnerable to weapons that she is. She is stronger and heals faster than any of them, even Cap. And she can fly, it's just that like any skill flying takes practice and the skills atrophy if you don't use them. In the comics Jewel was an accomplished enough flier but in the Alias comics (ie the post Kilgrave enslavement PI years) she was more of a jump and fall flier because she hadn't flown in years.

It's just like how years ago I could dance for hours without losing my breath and now a long song leaves me panting for air. Either way I can still dance, it would just take a lot of dancing to be able to do so properly again. That's the point of Jessica. She's very powerful and has amazing abilities but without practice and training she is less effective than an unpowered/less powered person who is dedicated to honing the skills they do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I finished this last night. I really enjoyed. Not as good as DareDevil but still a consistently entertaining show. I can't pick a dud episode out of the season. It keeps up the same brutal reality of DD, not shying away from a bit of horror and openly describing Kilgraves actions as rape. Kilgrave is possibly the best villain Marvel have had so far, brilliant actor and a brilliant character that resulted in some really unique and horrific scenarios. The challenge for season 2 is filling his shoes. They set up a few nice threads though that will keep the show interesting for next season.

My one minor gripe is the shoehorned
    link to DareDevil in the final episode. I caught a glimpse of the nurse in the hospital and I though that was a neat wink to DareDevil but then they went and made her a big part of the episode. I guess they needed to link the characters somehow but this was a bit jarring.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I finished this last night. I really enjoyed. Not as good as DareDevil but still a consistently entertaining show. I can't pick a dud episode out of the season. It keeps up the same brutal reality of DD, not shying away from a bit of horror and openly describing Kilgraves actions as rape. Kilgrave is possibly the best villain Marvel have had so far, brilliant actor and a brilliant character that resulted in some really unique and horrific scenarios. The challenge for season 2 is filling his shoes. They set up a few nice threads though that will keep the show interesting for next season.

My one minor gripe is the shoehorned
    link to DareDevil in the final episode. I caught a glimpse of the nurse in the hospital and I though that was a neat wink to DareDevil but then they went and made her a big part of the episode. I guess they needed to link the characters somehow but this was a bit jarring.

Claire Temple will appear in each of the Marvel Netflix shows so you may need to get over the jarring sensation sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Claire Temple will appear in each of the Marvel Netflix shows so you may need to get over the jarring sensation sooner rather than later!

I didn't actually mind the initial brief cameo, I thought that was neat. It is a shared universe after all. But then it became this wedged in extended cameo with a few too many winks and nods to her "friend". I guess it will become more natural as the series continue but JJ was fairly self contained and it was all about her doing it on her own. Having her suddenly trust a random nurse who obviously doesn't give a hoot about patients at the hospital just seemed out of place, particularly in the finale. As I said though, a minor complaint and it was necessary to start the link between JJ and DD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought it was really great all round. I tried Daredevil but only watched one episode - it didn't grip enough to learn anyone's name or try a second episode.

I'm really surprised at the hate (not here) I've seen on the internet though. It seems to be all directed at the fact that it's a female driven show, which is one of its major strengths.

I am wondering where a second season would go though.
    The story is finished

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I am wondering where a second season would go though.
    The story is finished
    Theres massive scope to have a second season as they have plenty of threads in the air
    The evil IGH organisation seems ready made to be the vilian for another season. The development of Trish and luke as either side kicks or hero's in their own right. plus there's the detective agency which had some interesting plots. If it's renewed there's plenty of scope for new stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

X Box prank call in 1.06 reminded me of this. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wasn't a huge fan of this, I'll admit. At least not the first half. Around 6-8 is where it seemed to develop a bit of a kick, imo. Found the Kilgrave situation got a little repetitive. Generally liked the characters, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My grandad started watching it, watched it in two days and loved it. Got told "LoonyLovegood, if a guy ever does something like that, I'll make sure he isn't breathing"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wonder if this is a first. ETA, apparently not.

https://twitter.com/moryan/status/789880678556971008

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

If they can come up with a bad guy as terrifying as Killgrave for season 2, it'll be worthwhile. I just hope it's not fuc*ed up like season 2 of Daredevil was. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

DubTony wrote:
    If they can come up with a bad guy as terrifying as Killgrave for season 2, it'll be worthwhile. I just hope it's not fuc*ed up like season 2 of Daredevil was.

I really don't know where they're going to go with the character, Kilgrave was a huge part of Jessica's emotional arc I feel like season 2 is alrway going to be a let down given that it won't have that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I really don't know where they're going to go with the character, Kilgrave was a huge part of Jessica's emotional arc I feel like season 2 is alrway going to be a let down given that it won't have that aspect.

It all depends on what role Jessica plays in The Defenders and what impact it has on her. A lot of the Marvel Stage 2 movies concentrated on how the Avengers were affected by the incident (Iron Man especially)

FunLover18 wrote: »

True. There is still plenty of source material to mine from though, between the original Alias series, The Pulse and the New Avengers stuff the character was a part of. Also, there's a new series being done by the original team that they can probably get ideas from. The Killgrave stuff was probably the most powerful of the original run though so I agree it'll be a hard part to top in S2...

flazio wrote: »
    It all depends on what role Jessica plays in The Defenders and what impact it has on her. A lot of the Marvel Stage 2 movies concentrated on how the Avengers were affected by the incident (Iron Man especially)

Only Iron Man Three and Age of Ultron, really. Thor 2 and Winter Soldier were fairly standalone. It was really only Tony who was so emotionally affected by the whole thing. It's a good shout though; out of the three Netflix character shows so far, JJ has had the biggest emotional arc and, although that ended positively, it'll be good to see how much that throws her off balance and affects her arc in Defenders and beyond...

There's also that PTSD doesn't go away after defeating your trigger. It still happens. I'll be interested to see how she deals with that.

• Advertisement

True. There is still plenty of source material to mine from though, between the original Alias series, The Pulse and the New Avengers stuff the character was a part of. Also, there's a new series being done by the original team that they can probably get ideas from. The Killgrave stuff was probably the most powerful of the original run though so I agree it'll be a hard part to top in S2...

Do you think? Most Alias stories tied strongly into the main Marvel universe and they culminated in the Kilgrave arc. Not a huge amount happened in The Pulse
    other than an arc about how Jessica reacted to what was happening to Luke and Danielle's birth
    and in the New Avengers Jessica is more of a bit player. Outside of Kilgrave, her main storyline is probably the
    Skrulls stealing Danielle
    and that's obviously not a goer for season 2.

Jessica is a fantastic character and Alias is one of my favourite books but Bendis uses her very, very sparingly and rarely lets other writers include her. It's probably because she's a hard character to write in a team as she's more interesting on the side-lines, while as an Avenger she's just another cape. Most of her greatness is in how she lives in the Marvel universe as she crosses the threshold between damaged, ordinary person and amazing super-powered being. Her relationship with JJ Jameson is a treat, her unique angle on the world gives brilliant insight into Carol, her friendship with Steve makes them both better characters. The Netflix series can't do any of that as the MCU doesn't have decades of history for Jessica to give a new view of.

My guess is that season 2 will focus on Trish as she and Jessica investigate IGH (the MCU Weapon Plus/Project Homegrown stand in). It's been hinted that company are somehow involved in Jessica's origins and responsible for Simpson's enhanced abilities which Trish utilised in season 1. Jessica will be drawn in to find out more about her background while Trish will supposedly want to know what happened to Simpson while really being on a mission to become permanently powered herself.

Advertisement