Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think it’s time for a few UFO dedicated podcasts from the second captains... with football off the TV I think a lot people’s thoughts are drifting towards extraterrestrial beings and inter dimensional travelers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Noddy86 wrote: »
    Decent listen but barely mentioned the book as Joe spun one yarn after another totally unrelated to eachother.

That was also my take from the interview. I learned next to nothing about the book which was supposed to be the whole reason for the interview.

A rare slip from the lads but they indulged Brolly too much. If they wanted to interview him about GAA then plough ahead but to present it as a book review was to do the listener an injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Aidric wrote: »
    That was also my take from the interview. I learned next to nothing about the book which was supposed to be the whole reason for the interview.

A rare slip from the lads but they indulged Brolly too much. If they wanted to interview him about GAA then plough ahead but to present it as a book review was to do the listener an injustice.

I thought it was an excellent listen. Can't please em all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

I agree to a certain extent but tbh, it sounded like Joe just didn't think the book was all that great.

Was there any reason they picked Joe Brolly to review that book? Other than to say Joe DeBrollio.

I also agree that Joe likes the sound of his own voice and he didn't let the lads finish questions. But also, I thoroughly enjoyed it, Joe seems like a very nice down to earth person and very interesting and knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Raoul wrote: »

I agree to a certain extent but tbh, it sounded like Joe just didn't think the book was all that great.

Was there any reason they picked Joe Brolly to review that book? Other than to say Joe DeBrollio.

I also agree that Joe likes the sound of his own voice and he didn't let the lads finish questions. But also, I thoroughly enjoyed it, Joe seems like a very nice down to earth person and very interesting and knowledgeable.

You like Joe, and you like his style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

I thought it was interesting that he seemed to cut off Murph at every chance but not so much McDevitt. Little bit of ranking going on there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

As likeable as Duignan is, there's surely a better hurling pundit to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

corwill wrote: »

He's always bringing up points he made before just to show that he was right about them, like yesterday going on about how "I said it last year that Galway need to blood more players"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

bamayang wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting that he seemed to cut off Murph at every chance but not so much McDevitt. Little bit of ranking going on there imo

Ken needs to get onto Joe to learn how to deal with Murph and his cutting across. Just ignore it and keep talking :cool:

He's always bringing up points he made before just to show that he was right about them, like yesterday going on about how "I said it last year that Galway need to blood more players"

Such a wondrous insight! He's right on the same basis that a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. If the Offaly board do call on him, then you know they're in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

bamayang wrote: »

I thought Eoin just held his ground a bit better and insisted politely on completing the point/question he was asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

Sure only last week people in this very thread were complaining about how they haven't had him on yet to discuss the Offaly's situation. Seems like there's no winning when it comes to GAA coverage...

Sure only last week people in this very thread were complaining about how they haven't had him on yet to discuss the Offaly's situation. Seems like there's no winning when it comes to GAA coverage...

Well, I wasn't. Had I been asked, I'd have said he had no insight to offer on that topic or anything else, as was borne out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Found the piece on data analytics boring, Murph's story at the end made up for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It’s amazing that Ken knows the least about GAA but has actually the most realistic view of the future of GAA.

Ken employing his tactic of being outraged and completely overegging a fairly run of the mill forgettable incident with the Phillip Neville press conference.

See also his reactions to when Palace sacked De Boer and Oscar moved to a Chinese club.

The way I see it anyway. Maybe not quite as obvious as his overreacting to those two events.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Ken employing his tactic of being outraged and completely overegging a fairly run of the mill forgettable incident with the Phillip Neville press conference.

See also his reactions to when Palace sacked De Boer and Oscar moved to a Chinese club.

The way I see it anyway. Maybe not quite as obvious as his overreacting to those two events.

Seemed to me that Ken was expressing part amusement, part astonishment at the overreaction of Pip Neville and the English press to Cameroon, by turns sanctimonious and patronising, underpinned by an unattractive paternalism towards both the women's game and perhaps towards 'less important' countries. Neville seems to only want to see happy dancing from Africans. You'd swear he had nothing to do with with a Man U side that elevated referee intimidation to the level of high art.

I'm not sure how anodyne we'd want the lads to cover stuff, they're aiming to be entertaining, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Zzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seemed to me that Ken was expressing part amusement, part astonishment at the overreaction of Pip Neville and the English press to Cameroon, by turns sanctimonious and patronising, underpinned by an unattractive paternalism towards both the women's game and perhaps towards 'less important' countries. Neville seems to only want to see happy dancing from Africans. You'd swear he had nothing to do with with a Man U side that elevated referee intimidation to the level of high art.

I'm not sure how anodyne we'd want the lads to cover stuff, they're aiming to be entertaining, after all.

I thought Ken overdid it but it wasn't a passionate rant so he was half taking the píss. He pretty much ignored or excused all the stuff Cameroon players did on the pitch, the racism accusations they apparently made and the correct VAR decisions, the accusations of match fixing to focus how Phil Neville phrased some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cienciano wrote: »
    I thought Ken overdid it but it wasn't a passionate rant so he was half taking the píss. He pretty much ignored or excused all the stuff Cameroon players did on the pitch, the racism accusations they apparently made and the correct VAR decisions, the accusations of match fixing to focus how Phil Neville phrased some stuff.

He did enlighten me to a phrase I'd never heard of before, 'misogynoir'.

I would have liked if he expanded on why it's not automatically racist and misogynistic to say that African women losing their heads and acting irrationally are actually losing their heads and acting irrationally.

Then again, maybe it's a place they didn't want to go down especially when Eoin said that Neville was on potentially ropey ground by saying he associates African nations with happiness and dancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Nokotan wrote: »
    He did enlighten me to a phrase I'd never heard of before, 'misogynoir'.

I would have liked if he expanded on why it's not automatically racist and misogynistic to say that African women losing their heads and acting irrationally are actually losing their heads and acting irrationally.

Then again, maybe it's a place they didn't want to go down especially when Eoin said that Neville was on potentially ropey ground by saying he associates African nations with happiness and dancing.

The part of Neville's preaching that made me cringe most was when after being asked about Cameroon being potentially banned by FIFA, he answered by referencing Cameroon and Nigeria. Have Nigeria had any discipline issues in the competition?

Focusing on what a hypocritical, sanctimonious flute Neville made of himself is much lower hanging fruit, though, and I'm not particularly exercised by their failure to clamber any further up the bull**** tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

elefant wrote: »
    The part of Neville's preaching that made me cringe most was when after being asked about Cameroon being potentially banned by FIFA, he answered by referencing Cameroon and Nigeria. Have Nigeria had any discipline issues in the competition?

That was the funny thing, Neville talking about how classy England were in handling it. Neville was the exact opposite of class. He should have said nothing, the Cameroon players actions spoke for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah yer not serious are you?

Neville went full David Brent..

Sanctimonious, patronising and arrogant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

elefant wrote: »

Yeah but they are also black

That was the funny thing, Neville talking about how classy England were in handling it. Neville was the exact opposite of class. He should have said nothing, the Cameroon players actions spoke for themselves.

Pip isn't terribly well acquainted with either dignity or consistency. He spoke long and loudly on the topic of diving in the lead up to one Merseyside derby, only to pick up a yellow for a fairly buffoonish fosbury flop in the game.

lawred2 wrote: »

Neville went full David Brent..

Sanctimonious, patronising and arrogant

And no one will remember past Wednesday. If you wanted to defend Neville you could use what Jose Mourinho said about press conferences, 1 - I am talking to the players 2- I am to talking to the players 3 - I am to talking to the players

England’s players had been elbowed, spat on and hacked down. Maybe Phil thought it would be a good for camp morale if he praised his players and attacked Cameroon’s. Maybe not.

As I say no one will remember it past Wednesday.

Ken talked about Phil Neville and pressers for 50 minutes and summarized the FAI governance report by saying it says there should be more governance. Funny and all but Dan Mcdonnell on OTB talked in depth on Saturday about the governance report with Nathan Murphy. I know what I care more about as an Irish football supporter.

And no one will remember past Wednesday. If you wanted to defend Neville you could use what Jose Mourinho said about press conferences, 1 - I am talking to the players 2- I am to talking to the players 3 - I am to talking to the players

England’s players had been elbowed, spat on and hacked down. Maybe Phil thought it would be a good for camp morale if he praised his players and attacked Cameroon’s. Maybe not.

Ken talked about Phil Neville and pressers for 50 minutes and summarized the FAI governance report by saying it says there should be more governance. Funny and all but Dan Mcdonnell on OTB talked in depth on Saturday about the governance report with Nathan Murphy. I know what I care more about as an Irish football supporter.

Good of you to let us all know what each of is to remember and to forget.

Looks like OTB has your preferences covered. Not every outlet is going cover every topic in the exact same way at the exact same time. I'd hope SC will get to FAI governance again. In depth soon, to spare going anywhere near OTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Do you ONLY care about irish football ? as a supporter of course, cause one seems to be a mundane administrating issue and the other a talking point in a world cup where there were issues in the game and post game.

People will remember it as the issue with VAR continues and behavior and arrogance of managers and some press.

But i must listen to OTB to have the tits bored off me about how the FAI haven't done something yet again and get excited about PDF file.

• Advertisement

I'd hope SC will get to FAI governance again. In depth soon, to spare going anywhere near OTB.

Richie Sadlier and Dion Fanning are on standby with their finger on the pulse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement