Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabot/belgard solicitors NOTICE OF JUDGEMENT

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 joyboy1103

my3cents wrote: »
    I'm not going looking but there have been posts here before stating that they have phoned work numbers looking for payment and have even phoned relatives.

Yes I read that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The OP should have been served with a claim notice, which if not defended would result in a summary judgement against him.

IF the court judgement is real, surely the OP would have received the notice directly from the district court via post?

IMO the first task is to check with the District Court office to see if the judgement declared in the letter from Cabot did actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭knockoutned

I don't mean to derail the thread, but it was mentioned earlier that some debt collectors issue misleading documents in order for a debtor to initiate contact with them, which then may be interpreted as an acknowledgment of a debt being owed. These documents give the impression that a judgement has been awarded against a supposed debtor, when this does not appear to be the case as no supporting court documents are provided. I know in this case, the OP needs to clarify if an actual judgement was awarded.

Would this not be fraud, since this is wrongful deception which could result in financial gain for the debt collector. Or does this only apply to a person and not a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IF the court judgement is real, surely the OP would have received the notice directly from the district court via post?

IMO the first task is to check with the District Court office to see if the judgement declared in the letter from Cabot did actually happen.
    Cabot took the action, they send the judgement they obtained from the court to you. Courts don't send out notifications.

Similarly Cabot sent the initial summons. They would have to show it was signed for at the address. Unless they got court approval for ordinary post. It would all be on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I don't mean to derail the thread, but it was mentioned earlier that some debt collectors issue misleading documents in order for a debtor to initiate contact with them, which then may be interpreted as an acknowledgment of a debt being owed. These documents give the impression that a judgement has been awarded against a supposed debtor, when this does not appear to be the case as no supporting court documents are provided. I know in this case, the OP needs to clarify if an actual judgement was awarded.

Would this not be fraud, since this is wrongful deception which could result in financial gain for the debt collector. Or does this only apply to a person and not a company?

They word it in a way that if you don't read it carefully, you may form the impression that a judgement has already been made. A bit like a newspaper headline can be a little over the top.

But the op has said that it said that the judgement has been made on a specific date that has passed, so most likely true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Dav010 wrote: »

There are two substantive issues, the judgement or lack there of, and the op’s credit rating.

He has no credit rating. Nor should he, He doesn't pay his debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mind that first step when getting off your horse, can be tricky when it's so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Mind that first step when getting off your horse, can be tricky when it's so high.
    I don't advocate that the OP should pay his debts (especially to Cabot) but nor should he have a credit rating and despite his protestations he could have paid this debt.

But why should he be a sucker?
    Even if there is an enforcement order made he just makes sure to sign on before the statement of means and pay back a tenner a month for 500 months. Unfortunately there is no inflation at the moment to destroy the value of the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Ten Pin wrote: »

Correct, the claim notice is usually delivered by Registered post. It would have been stamped at the District court office and then sent back to the creditor's solicitor who would send it to the debtor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cabot/belgard engage in a lot of fakery with "court letters" and unenforced threats.
    Would not trust a thing they say/write unless it is on official court paper that you obtained independently of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't advocate that the OP should pay his debts
    Heaven forbid! :D

Always people on this forum doing their best to advise people on how to avoid paying money they owe... and "you're on a high horse" if you disagree with this. Yes, on a high horse for disagreeing that people should get stuff for free.

If the same people were self employed and customers didn't pay them, would they be "on a high horse" if they looked for their money back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Just like BOI, AIB and all the other banks that had to be bailed out, or is it another law for banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just like BOI, AIB and all the other banks that had to be bailed out, or is it another law for banks?

I thought they had to be bailed out because they paid their debts.

By the end of last year, the net cost stood at €41.7 billion, when disposals of equity and shares are taken into account, along with dividend payments, and a range of fees paid to the State.

The cost of servicing the debt amounts to between €1.1 billion and €1.3 billion a year. Even in this low interest rate environment. The C&AG puts it at €420 million for each percentage point that the State pays on its debt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/was-it-worth-paying-41-7bn-to-bail-out-irish-banks-1.4036792

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

By the end of last year, the net cost stood at €41.7 billion, when disposals of equity and shares are taken into account, along with dividend payments, and a range of fees paid to the State.

The cost of servicing the debt amounts to between €1.1 billion and €1.3 billion a year. Even in this low interest rate environment. The C&AG puts it at €420 million for each percentage point that the State pays on its debt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/was-it-worth-paying-41-7bn-to-bail-out-irish-banks-1.4036792

and almost all of that is attributed to anglo & irish nationwide.

Bank of ireland have paid back in full including interest and fees. AIB still have a bit to go, but will have paid back in full including interest and fees possibly by end 2020, Irish permanent may take a little longer.

KBC did not get a bailout. Ulster bank got a bail out from UK taxpayer and parent company has mostly paid this back.

So if you exclude Irish nationwide & Anglo both of which have been closed down, it's difficult to agree with your post mentioning the two banks that have paid back every cent of the bailout / almost have paid back every cent.

And guess why they needed the bailout? Because the customer who borrowed money refused to / could not pay back. - a big vicious circle, yet some people only want to blame the banks.

Everyone has to accept their share of blame - lenient regulation, bankers, the borrowers AND the media who were the biggest cheerleader of them all

BOI shareholders lost 20 billion

€20.8 billion that AIB lost.

First, it’s important to note the €10.2 billion “repaid” to date includes about €3.5 billion of interest payments on bailout bonds, Government guarantee fees and a €250 million dividend (the bank’s first since 2008), paid to the exchequer this year. Try taking out a €200,000 mortgage and asking your bank manager to call it quits when you’ve just repaid that amount.

Second, there was the €1.4 billion of interest payments – or coupons – due on the bank’s initial 2009 bailout that were settled by issuing more shares to the rather than cash. (The bank’s financial situation was dire at the time and the extra shares barely moved the dial on the State’s then 99.8 per cent stake.)

Third, there was a little-remembered – and, it has to be said, entirely legitimate – accounting manoeuvre in early 2011 that allowed AIB to generate €1.5 billion of capital, as it bought Anglo Irish Bank’s state-backed Nama bonds under the direction of the High Court following a petition by the government. While Anglo Irish had been accounting for the bonds at a deep discount to their par value, reflecting the weak value of Irish long-term government debt at the time, AIB was able to unlock a gain immediately by revising the value of the notes upwards to where it was pricing its own senior Nama bonds.

"It is unlikely that the State will generate a surplus on its investment of €22.2bn in AIB," the report said.

It said the cost of the bailout for AIB was an estimated €9.5bn, after taking account of the €7.1bn value of the State's remaining shareholding in AIB, and said the costs of servicing the debt had so far amounted to €6.2bn.
    Overall, the rescue package for AIB, Bank of Ireland, Permanent TSB and Ibrc had cost taxpayers a net €41.7bn by the end of 2018.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are completely off-topic. Stop posting

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bizzieebee

joyboy1103 wrote: »
    HI guys..hoping someone can give me some advice on this..I got a car back in 2008 which was financed by GE MONEY finance..during the next few years my employment status changed from a permanent job (closed down)to a job now and again..im currently employed full time..anyways a few years ago I had missed a few payments to ge money and rang and told them to take the car i couldnt pay for it..they agreed eventually but i never heard anything back from them..then i found out they had ceased trading..the car has not been driven taxed ensured since then but i still have it..anyways 4 or 5 years passed and i get a letter from cabot sayin i owe them over 5000..i asked for the ge money agreement which they provided..I decided as i had no contract with them I would not be paying them as ge money agreed to take the car back..anyways 2 days ago i recieved a letter from belgard solicitors..It was a NOTICE OF JUDGEMENT from a district court and they had added 430 euros to it..they are threatening to take my goods and bring me to court..thing is im currently back with my parents as i was unemployed untill a few months ago and im afraid they will come and take my parents belongings..they want me to fill out a statement of means but they want my employers name address etc which i am afraid to give as they will ring my job..can anybody help ..im at my witts end..cheers

Do you mind me asking how you got on dealing with Cabot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

just reply this was settled in full with original company .. Full and final settlement. and they will back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Considering the debt has been passed to the collection company by the lender, it would be a bit naive to assume they would accept the reply "I paid that already", but you never know.

Advertisement