Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex spotting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Grey market dealers for stainless steel professional Rolex models are charging an arm and a leg over the odds in Hong Kong

Absolutely true but a month or more of the current disturbances will significantly reduce mainland tourist spending in HK. Dealers will be more interested in dealing. The advantage in HK is that there is always stock on public sale. Remember to pay the VAT when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Anything nice?

Omega cabinet packed with every variation.

Rolex cabinet-two datejust, a yellow gold Daytona and......an airking if you are lucky.

That wasn’t in an AD!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I only read the title my bad, too busy trying on stuff to read it properly lol

What did you try?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

893bet wrote: »
    Anything nice?

Omega cabinet packed with every variation.

Rolex cabinet-two datejust, a yellow gold Daytona and......an airking if you are lucky.

Any Explorer 39mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Marcusm wrote: »
    Remember to pay the VAT when you get back.
    How does this work? Obviously I'd pay the vat :pac:, but if you went through the green channel accidently, would anything be said? Do you pay customs in the airport? If you forgot to pay, and tried to pay later, is there a penalty?

Cienciano wrote: »
    How does this work? Obviously I'd pay the vat :pac:, but if you went through the green channel accidently, would anything be said? Do you pay customs in the airport? If you forgot to pay, and tried to pay later, is there a penalty?

If you go through the green channel you're making a declaration that you are not importing chargeable items into the State. You can be stopped and searched and in the event that they find you in possession of something that attracts customs duty they will seize it there and then. You get a receipt obviously.

They will then issue you with a notice of assessment which you have to pay to claim the item. Because you didn't declare it you could be hit for whatever should have been paid with penalties (from recollection up to three times the duty paid value of the "uncustomed goods" on top of the assessment). You can appeal the assessment but you have to pay up front in order to lodge the appeal.

You could also challenge the seizure by showing proof that it was not liable to Irish customs (because duty is already paid in the EU) to but again you have to pay up to do that.

You would also be liable for prosecution for a number of criminal offences but they might not bother if satisfied that you were a one-off i.e. not commercial activity.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    If you go through the green channel you're making a declaration that you are not importing chargeable items into the State. You can be stopped and searched and in the event that they find you in possession of something that attracts customs duty they will seize it there and then. You get a receipt obviously.

They will then issue you with a notice of assessment which you have to pay to claim the item. Because you didn't declare it you could be hit for whatever should have been paid with penalties (from recollection up to three times the duty paid value of the "uncustomed goods" on top of the assessment). You can appeal the assessment but you have to pay up front in order to lodge the appeal.

You could also challenge the seizure by showing proof that it was not liable to Irish customs (because duty is already paid in the EU) to but again you have to pay up to do that.

You would also be liable for prosecution for a number of criminal offences but they might not bother if satisfied that you were a one-off i.e. not commercial activity.

Interesting. I assume if you have no proof it's not liable for customs you have to pay anyway? I mean if you had a nice shiny rolex and they looked for duty and you said you bought it in the EU and had it before your trip away, you'd have to be able to prove it? If you couldn't, you'd have to pay?

Interesting. I assume if you have no proof it's not liable for customs you have to pay anyway? I mean if you had a nice shiny rolex and they looked for duty and you said you bought it in the EU and had it before your trip away, you'd have to be able to prove it? If you couldn't, you'd have to pay?

Well, just wearing a nice watch in the absence of absolutely anything else would be hard to see as justifying a reasonable suspicion that the item was liable to Irish customs.

They're entitled to detain you and ask the questions in any event though, and they can weigh up your answers in coming to a decision. They're fairly savvy when it comes to this sort of thing.

In principle they can also record their findings (photographs, serial number etc), take your details and follow up with any investigation, which will take account of all of the information to which Revenue have access on you as a taxpayer.

My own gut feeling is that you'd be in the minority if you were caught but it would be pretty sticky once you were.

Wonder if they monitor flights and income levels? As in We have a flight coming into Dublin from Hong Kong, Wibbs was on that flight and we know he earns €700,000 a year so a good chance he's brought something expensive home for the wife. Or just purely random searches?

I'm sure they've heard all the basic excuses like "I owned this before I left" 100 times before and know exactly the line of questioning to go down and checks to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just as a side note, I was in Hour Passion in KV yesterday wearing my Steiny O1B and the sales person thought initially it was a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Just as a side note, I was in Hour Passion in KV yesterday wearing my Steiny O1B and the sales person thought initially it was a sub

Haha. But from a distance the look the same

Wonder if they monitor flights and income levels? As in We have a flight coming into Dublin from Hong Kong, Wibbs was on that flight and we know he earns €700,000 a year so a good chance he's brought something expensive home for the wife. Or just purely random searches?

I'm sure they've heard all the basic excuses like "I owned this before I left" 100 times before and know exactly the line of questioning to go down and checks to do.

Fair question. I think there is very little random about how Revenue operate these days, given the level of information they hold on taxpayers. Certainly in the area of audit/investigation.

Whether that feeds into the customs operations at ports I don't know but they have definitely 'heard it all before' and know exactly where they are going once they start a process.

Which is great and to the good of us all! Obviously!!

ecoli3136 wrote: »

Which is great and to the good of us all! Obviously!!
    Definitely, I would never recommend or give advice on not paying vat on boards as that would be against boards rules! :pac:

TBH, I won't have to worry about importing a Rolex, just interested, literally everything I buy online in the last 15 years except for tiny things under €15 have been in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that customs at the airport are too busy trying to stop illegal goods like drugs etc coming in that they don't have time to bother with people not declaring stuff they have bought abroad when the come home.

I can't find it now but I think it was an Irish Times article about the number of people taking Christmas shopping trips to New York. It basically said that people should declare the items they have bought, but that customs wouldn't bother them if they don't. I don't know if that would change for very high value items, but I have had no problem bringing things like iPads back from the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Just looking for an opinion guys. I recieved a call from Weirs to say they have a No-Date Sub Ceramic in for me. I was on the list for the date but Im very tempted as I like the minimalist look of the piece.

Not sure if I should hold out for a date or bite the bullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Surely it just comes down to what you actually want?

If you like the minimalist look, why not go for it? What are your concerns about not getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Rootsblower

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Just looking for an opinion guys. I recieved a call from Weirs to say they have a No-Date Sub Ceramic in for me. I was on the list for the date but Im very tempted as I like the minimalist look of the piece.

How long are you on the waiting list for sub date and did you have to build a “relationship” with Weirs to even get on the list.

Personally if I was going for a no-date submariner type watch I’d go for the Tudor Black Bay 58, it’s a stunning watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I don't have a No-Date Sub but I have 2 Steinhart Ocean one's so I can give my experience on these. I don't like the date function on a watch as I don't use it so much. Maybe "don't like" is too strong a statement, as the amount of times I check my watch for the date is minimal. Its a useful function that I hardly use.
    Also I wear watches in rotation so setting the date and time every time I wear another watch is a little bit of a pain (first world problems, I know :)).

I don't find the cyclops for the date to be particularly attractive. It doesn't ruin the look of the watch nor does it add to them.

TLDR. If I was given a choice between the no date and date sub I would pick the no date.

This is just my opinion ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

oxocube wrote: »
    I don't have a No-Date Sub but I have 2 Steinhart Ocean one's so I can give my experience on these. I don't like the date function on a watch as I don't use it so much. Maybe "don't like" is too strong a statement, as the amount of times I check my watch for the date is minimal. Its a useful function that I hardly use.
    Also I wear watches in rotation so setting the date and time every time I wear another watch is a little bit of a pain (first world problems, I know :)).

I don't find the cyclops for the date to be particularly attractive. It doesn't ruin the look of the watch nor does it add to them.

TLDR. If I was given a choice between the no date and date sub I would pick the no date.

This is just my opinion ;)

I have the same take. I would rather a no date sub, the date function is not something I use, and I prefer the look of a sub without the date window.

BUT, if you always wanted a sub with a date then I think I would wait for the exact one you want. At this kind of money, perfection is the only ticket.

• Advertisement

Jesus thanks for the replies. I've been waiting since last September. I bought a few Omegas over the years and know the some of the staff quite well which is why I think they rang me so soon.

The no-date looks great however I reckon it will be my only Rolex so the general opinion of others is to get the date.

Best thing I can do is try it on this afternoon and decide then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i like the no date, id happily have one, i suppose the cyclops is a bit of a rolex calling card but the nd sub is very nice.

Well ended up buying it. They had a date on hold for another customer and allowed me to compare them and to be honest I loved the no date.

I just found the face less clutterred and it just suits me more. Felt abit apprehensive about spending 7k on a watch but you only live once so fcuk it. Thanks for the input guys, I will post a pic if you want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Well ended up buying it. They had a date on hold for another customer and allowed me to compare them and to be honest I loved the no date.

I just found the face less clutterred and it just suits me more. Felt abit apprehensive about spending 7k on a watch but you only live once so fcuk it. Thanks for the input guys, I will post a pic if you want to see it.

Can you reveal approx price? Weirs in my experience will do a bit of a deal. I was looking at an Aerospace Evo a couple of years back but the only one they had was a white face so backed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can you reveal approx price? Weirs in my experience will do a bit of a deal. I was looking at an Aerospace Evo a couple of years back but the only one they had was a white face so backed out.

He did give the approx price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

banie01 wrote: »
    He did give the approx price?

Duh! Sorry!:rolleyes:

Ain’t much deals to be had on SS Rolex. I assume a zero percent discount from RRP?

Zero enough risk!

Watchfinder will prob pay you 7k for it second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Layton Howling Mumps

Felt abit apprehensive about spending 7k on a watch but you only live once so fcuk it.

One day you will look back on this purchase and think you were being so restrained. Once that mental barrier is breached, the floodgates open and soon a Platinium Daytona will be on your wrist :) Well wear, the ND sub is a truely iconic watch, money in the bank, and a flight home or cost of a lawyer anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement

Yeah Ive been wearing it all evening and truth be told I love it. I own 2 Omegas, a Seamaster and Speedy and as beautiful as they are the Rolex just feels and wears better? Its kinda hard to explain, the oyster bracelet just feels so much more comfortable compared to the others? Plus the quality of the case, in house movement and all the little details that Rolex puts into the piece, Its amazing tbh. You really get your value for money.

Definitely happy with my purchase. Was surprised they gave me the cards as I heard AD's would hold onto them for a year and then post them out though? To stop people flipping.

Advertisement