Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Glebee wrote: »
    US office is without doubt the best tv comedy series ever made.. Fact.. Must check out the getflix, it has a two week trial.

Personal preference but I much prefer Parks and Rec.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

h3000 wrote: »
    Personal preference but I much prefer Parks and Rec.

Same. Also, the good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Glebee wrote: »
    US office is without doubt the best tv comedy series ever made.. Fact.. Must check out the getflix, it has a two week trial.

Thanks for your expert advice.

I shall waste no time in watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What's the story with the Sound of Metal? Is it on the Irish version of Prime?

I thought it was out today but i had a look earlier and no sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

It’s there and playable when I checked just now (Irish account)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Prime video is shocking for locating stuff. Make sure you search with exact spelling, or search for an actor instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's beyond bizarre - on the home page, it's recommending films like 'Aquaman' and has 'The War With Grandpa' in the recently-added section but nope, not a single mention of the film that's got multiple Oscar nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Amazon has the worst interface

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

PsychoPete wrote: »

After a recommendation further back in the thread I now use justwatch.com as a starting point example https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video/new .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

on laptop that goes to now.tv, has to open up a separate application to stream, can't just use the browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

After a recommendation further back in the thread I now use justwatch.com as a starting point example https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video/new .

Thats very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats very handy!

I check it daily so I can watch anything new.

Its not 100% accurate but still very good. Sometime you will find the odd film that they say is available isn't and I've noticed some films have been made available multiple times. Its also worth checking back a few days for new stuff as sometimes they update previous days and films turn up that weren't there before.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Has anyone watched the comedy Loudermilk? I saw the first episode and it had one or two funny moments. Didn't blow me away though. Wondering is it worth sticking with?
    Very good series 1. Lookiing forward to season 2 & 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been giving The Office US a look for the first time. Loved the British version and that's probably what put me off trying this show up to now. I'm about halfway through the second season and finding it funnier than the first season.

One thing that is annoying me though is the character of Jim. I don't think I'm supposed to find this guy an insufferable twat but he really comes off like one to me. And Pam is really starting to grate as well. In the last few episodes I've seen them make fun of Dwight while he was upset in his car after a falling out with Michael, use his personal info to apply for a job without his consent, and stir up a fight between him and Michael. They come across like mean school bullies. Jim comes off like a creep to me and I find myself feeling sympathy for Roy. It's a big contrast to the British version where I liked Tim and Dawn and was hoping they'd end up together. Tim seemed a decent chap but Jim feels like a smug sod. Maybe he becomes more endearing from here, I dunno. I figured I'd hate Dwight but I've warmed to him. I like Michael too, although I've been a fan of Carell since the Daily Show days so that doesn't surprise me.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Think I made it to the 3rd or 4th season of US Office and I got bored of it. The characters don't really change so it felt like it was repeating itself, even though it wasn't.

The US office is well known for getting better after the end of series 1. Its very good, probably ran a little too long though.

Try Parks & Rec if you haven't watched that. Similar vibes, was originally planned to be a spin off of the office but became a stand alone thing. Mose from the office is one of the creators (Mike Schur).

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

It beggars belief. If one of the most profitable companies in the world cannot invest in their interface what hope do we have for someone like rte investing in their interface for the player. By the way I’m not for one second defending rte here.

Like how much would it cost? I’d say a couple of million would drastically improve it. It must be working off some very old legacy infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

It beggars belief. If one of the most profitable companies in the world cannot invest in their interface what hope do we have for someone like rte investing in their interface for the player. By the way I’m not for one second defending rte here.

Like how much would it cost? I’d say a couple of million would drastically improve it. It must be working off some very old legacy infrastructure

Amazon provide most of the internet infrastructure to the world so no chance of that

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

Has anyone managed to get the free prime video from EIR set up recently. I got connected and contracted 6 days ago.

I get stuck in a loop on MyEir website whereby it says "Checking Amazon Prime Video Eligibility" and it just doesn't come back with a response.

Im using chrome as a browser.

Cheers.

Amazon provide most of the internet infrastructure to the world so no chance of that

But their prime video must be. That can be the only reason they aren’t spending money on their UI

• Advertisement

But their prime video must be. That can be the only reason they aren’t spending money on their UI

I wonder do Netflix have some sort of patent or similar on their layout? Maybe that's a prohibitor for innovation?

dulpit wrote: »
    I wonder do Netflix have some sort of patent or similar on their layout? Maybe that's a prohibitor for innovation?

Could be, but I doubt it. No.1 you would hear something about the Netflix patent, though you can be pretty sure they have their own algorithm to target the Content to the user and no.2 the Disney UI is pretty good so it’s not like Netflix’s standards can’t be replicated to a certain level at least. Though that said I have heard HBO Max’s UI is muck so maybe Disney threw a shed load of money at the UI

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get the free prime video from EIR set up recently. I got connected and contracted 6 days ago.

I get stuck in a loop on MyEir website whereby it says "Checking Amazon Prime Video Eligibility" and it just doesn't come back with a response.

Im using chrome as a browser.

Cheers.

are you using the correct prime, it's amzon.com rather than amazon.uk we need to use for prime video for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

are you using the correct prime, it's amzon.com rather than amazon.uk we need to use for prime video for some reason

Hi yes I'm using that one. Eir confirmed this evening there is a problem with MyEir so the issue lies there unfortunately. Thanks for the response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

dulpit wrote: »

Netflix is hosted on Amazon infrastructure, UI has noting to do with infrastructure.

Stop spoofing unless you know what you are talking about because boardies will find you out very quick.

But I do agree the "front end" of Amazon is terrible but that has nothing to do with the "back end".

Google the terms in quotes if you are not sure, that'll help ye out

@plastic glass also

Netflix is hosted on Amazon infrastructure, UI has noting to do with infrastructure.

Stop spoofing unless you know what you are talking about because boardies will find you out very quick.

But I do agree the "front end" of Amazon is terrible but that has nothing to do with the "back end".

@plastic glass also

Dude, I work in IT. Thanks for the utterly patronising post. I never said there was an issue with the underlying infrastructure, we use aws at work, I'm aware of its capabilities.

What I was referring to was the UI/UX of Prime video, and whether there was any restrictions in how you can design a video streaming platform based on patents or similar that competitors already hold.

The layout and approach Netflix uses just works, Prime's doesn't. If they could essentially copy Netflix, they really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

@plastic glass also

Spoofing? he asked a question for feck sake, get back in your box

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: park the hostility everyone, there's no need for any of it.

@plastic glass also[/quote

Jesus Christ-that escalated quickly. I’m sure I’m using some wrong terms here and there so apologies if I offended anyone. but the fact of the matter is that the Amazon prime video site is very user unfriendly and it is quite a surprise because they are such a profitable company. You would think they could afford to or want to invest in it.
    Is that ok to say or does anyone else want to bite my head off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think the UI of most of these platforms is terrible.

Rather than letting the user choose content they push what it thinks you want to watch at you. Mostly gets it wrong. So you have to go search for stuff all the time. Prime pushes content you have to pay for at you all the time. As does their Kindle UI.

But the reality it rare to find a UI that's very good in any field. Most are compromised by the engineers and project managers who build them. There's a long list of major software with bad interfaces. The office ribbon. Windows 10 metro interface.

Disney's probably the least annoying. Netflix has had bizarre profiles and child profiles forever. Though in general I prefer it's playback controls. Never used AppleTV. But iTunes was bad.

Advertisement