Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2020 | Stage 8 | Logroño - Alto de Moncalvillo (164km)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Great stuff from the top 3 there.

That bloody Mas' jersey kept giving me a heart attack it looks way to much like Dan's and he kept getting dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So in GC McCarthy drops behind Dan and Roglic jumps ahead of Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big statement from Roglic, any murmurs of him being tired blown out of the water.
    Dan did well to hang in there.

Inquitus wrote: »
    , Roglic looks like he will be hard to beat, best TTer of the main candidates too!

Where have I heard that before.

One thing is for sure though Dan needs to gain more time to make up for his TT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nice of Movistar to do all the hard work and then fade away at the end. Not sure what their gameplan was today. They were never going to burn off the GC boys.

• Advertisement

Doc07 wrote: »
    That’s a good call, Roglic will pick up some comfort seconds in the TT and hopefully Dan can hang on for 3rd which would be a fantastic result.

I think Roglic will pick up some minutes in the TT

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nice of Movistar to do all the hard work and then fade away at the end. Not sure what their gameplan was today. They were never going to burn off the GC boys.
    Yeah, I couldn't understand what they were at. The lads in the breakaway will be really pissed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where have I heard that before.

One thing is for sure though Dan needs to gain more time to make up for his TT

Carapaz is pretty poor in the TT too.

Thankfully it's pretty short and seems to have a fair bit of a climb in it too

Roglic could win the TT and put minutes into the others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

eagle eye wrote: »
    Big statement from Roglic, any murmurs of him being tired blown out of the water.
    Dan did well to hang in there.

We would expect to see him tire in the final hard stages at the start of week 3, but he is showing no signs of it, I agree. The Angliru this weekend will likely show us how this will unfold, no hiding places on that nasty piece of mountain!

Inquitus wrote: »
    We would expect to see him tire in the final hard stages at the start of week 3, but he is showing no signs of it, I agree. The Angliru this weekend will likely show us how this will unfold, no hiding places on that nasty piece of mountain!

My biggest worry that day for Dan is his awful habit of being too far back when things kick off. He's gonna have to be very alert that day and as usual it's a real pity he never has anyone to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

How would Dan's TT compare to Carapaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Paddigol

breezy1985 wrote: »
    My biggest worry that day for Dan is his awful habit of being too far back when things kick off. He's gonna have to be very alert that day and as usual it's a real pity he never has anyone to help

In fairness to him this year he seems to have been on the ball every day so far and picked good wheels to follow. Hopefully he can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Had to go on a video call with 9km to go, balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Dodge wrote: »
    Carapaz is pretty poor in the TT too.

Thankfully it's pretty short and seems to have a fair bit of a climb in it too

Roglic could win the TT and put minutes into the others

33km is long enough. I'd expect Roglic to put 2 mins at least into Dan. It's pan flat till the last 1.5 km. Hopefully, dan has a bit of a gap and can stay on the podium. There are two or three very tough stages before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The top 3 were also in the TdF although Carapaz and Dan probably didn't go all out like Roglic.

I don't see Roglic tiring, the guy just loves the mountain stages. He probably hates the flat stages :)

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    How would Dan's TT compare to Carapaz?

Dans TT is about as good as yours or mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

To me it seems like a 2 horse race for the title

then the podium is between Dan,Carthy & Mas

Cant see anyone else at present .....Poels has a good TT ,Chaves hasn't

Vlasov may make a top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

MPFGLB wrote: »
    To me it seems like a 2 horse race for the title

then the podium is between Dan,Carthy & Mas

Cant see anyone else at present .....Poels has a good TT ,Chaves hasn't

Vlasov may make a top 10

Mas would do well on the TT. He was top 10 on the Belle Filles TT in the TdF and put about about 2:45 into Dan.
    Notwithstanding their balls -up today, Movistar should be able to do a job on EF and ISN to put Mas on the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

was there not a TT like this (steep hill at the end) somewhere a few years ago that Dan did well on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

When was the last time Dan actually had to go all out in a TT?

Shoco83 wrote: »
    When was the last time Dan actually had to go all out in a TT?

One recent example where he went all out would be Stage 13 of the 2019 TdF. He finished 33rd that day. He was 9th in GC before the ITT and dropped down to 11th after it.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2019/stage-13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

There's something so refreshing about watching the contenders go toe to toe like they did yesterday and taking lumps out of each other in the process.

Seeing Dan on the ground and Carapaz also wobbling pretty badly when he got off his bike felt different to what you normally see, particularly in the Tour.

I suspect they'll pay for it later in the race but for now it's brilliant to watch!

There's something so refreshing about watching the contenders go toe to toe like they did yesterday and taking lumps out of each other in the process.

Seeing Dan on the ground and Carapaz also wobbling pretty badly when he got off his bike felt different to what you normally see, particularly in the Tour.

I suspect they'll pay for it later in the race but for now it's brilliant to watch!

Was great to see everyone on the limit giving there all.

Much more fun then watching Rohan Dennis power up a climb without breaking a sweat

Roglic didnt look at all fazed at the end

Up until PdBF I had never seen him look anything other than blank faced so it's hard to know what Rog is feeling most of the time tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Have to say that I disagree. About 150 meters from the end, if you pulled his helmet well back on his head, he nearly looked like he did going up La Planche des Belles Filles.

Not sure how to well to rate Carapaz. I know that he didn't train for the Tour, but he didn't perform that well (for a grand tour winner). On that last time trial up LPdBF he took it easy on the flat and well full throttle up it, to try and hold onto the Polka Dot Jersey. But he didn't even make the top 10 for that climb.

For me a tired Roglic is better than Carapaz this year.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Have to say that I disagree. About 150 meters from the end, if you pulled his helmet well back on his head, he nearly looked like he did going up La Planche des Belles Filles.

Not sure how to well to rate Carapaz. I know that he didn't train for the Tour, but he didn't perform that well (for a grand tour winner). On that last time trial up LPdBF he took it easy on the flat and well full throttle up it, to try and hold onto the Polka Dot Jersey. But he didn't even make the top 10 for that climb.

For me a tired Roglic is better than Carapaz this year.

Normally I would say Carapaz will be nothing more than a guy who took his chance and won a Giro and that will end up being the high point of his career. But Ineos have had more surprising GC winners so youde never know

Advertisement