Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard

• 20-10-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Ive been working as a teacher for the last couple of years. The work is fine, I like it but theres no stability in it and it is precarious.

It's hard to save or plan for any kind of a future and its causing me allot of anxiety and stress.

In the years ive been subbing ive worked with great teachers who've been subbing for 5 - 15 years with no permanent contracts. Ive worked with permanent teachers who are on 6 - 12 hour contracts and rely on precarious casual subbing work to make up full time hours.
    I love teaching but dont want to bounce from one job to another for another 10+ years.
    Ive been trying to get any job outside of my degree area but to no avail and moving abroad isnt an option in my situation.

Ive wanted to upskill or retrain, as I cant afford to go back to college full time I decided to go the Springboard route.
    I saw 3 courses that directly relate to my undergrad but would also be suited to jobs outside of my original area of study and experience.
    The courses are predominantly online with distant learning evening classes and the odd Saturday on campus. It would suit me perfectly as I can continue to sub while I study.

I applied to them, sent my qualifications and my CV which I had created with the help of a career guidance counsellor, spent days fixing it up, going over it and making sure it was just right, I was sure I would atleast get an interview.
    I didn't get a reply from any of the colleges.

The interview dates have passed and I feel a knot in my stomach, I have another year spent in limbo going from job to job, sitting by the phone waiting for a school to call.

Im wondering if anyone else can relate or had difficulty getting onto a Springboard course and if anyone can suggest alternative ways to secure employment.
    I dont know what more I have to do to get a job or to be seen as employable? It feels like every route I try to take another door slams in my face and I can never seem to move forward or catch a break..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ive been working as a teacher for the last couple of years. The work is fine, I like it but theres no stability in it and it is precarious.

It's hard to save or plan for any kind of a future and its causing me allot of anxiety and stress.

In the years ive been subbing ive worked with great teachers who've been subbing for 5 - 15 years with no permanent contracts. Ive worked with permanent teachers who are on 6 - 12 hour contracts and rely on precarious casual subbing work to make up full time hours.
    I love teaching but dont want to bounce from one job to another for another 10+ years.
    Ive been trying to get any job outside of my degree area but to no avail and moving abroad isnt an option in my situation.

Ive wanted to upskill or retrain, as I cant afford to go back to college full time I decided to go the Springboard route.
    I saw 3 courses that directly relate to my undergrad but would also be suited to jobs outside of my original area of study and experience.
    The courses are predominantly online with distant learning evening classes and the odd Saturday on campus. It would suit me perfectly as I can continue to sub while I study.

I applied to them, sent my qualifications and my CV which I had created with the help of a career guidance counsellor, spent days fixing it up, going over it and making sure it was just right, I was sure I would atleast get an interview.

The interview dates have passed and I feel a knot in my stomach, I have another year spent in limbo going from job to job, sitting by the phone waiting for a school to call.

Im wondering if anyone else can relate or had difficulty getting onto a Springboard course and if anyone can suggest alternative ways to secure employment.
    I dont know what more I have to do to get a job or to be seen as employable? It feels like every route I try to take another door slams in my face and I can never seem to move forward or catch a break..

Big thread in bargain alerts on Springboard, many posters there applied for and started on courses in recent weeks.
    Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cardamom and mimosa

Esse85 wrote: »
    Big thread in bargain alerts on Springboard, many posters there applied for and started on courses in recent weeks.
    Worth checking out.

Thank you for passing that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Sometimes you won't get interviewed. You'll meet the criteria automatically and be enrolled. I'd touch base via telephone call and find out what's going on. Springboard windows are different so worse case you could get another window coming up, if something has gone wrong on the admin end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Moved to Distance, online and Part time learning.

Local Charter applies. Please read before replying.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is exceptionally unusual.

Did you apply via the Springboard site?

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This is exceptionally unusual.

Did you apply via the Springboard site?

Yes. I even got an email from Springboard confirming my application had been received.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes. I even got an email from Springboard confirming my application had been received.

Full disclosure - I have dealings with the Springboard process, so I am very surprised you heard nothing from the colleges themselves.

Did you contact the colleges directly? There is always a contact name on each of the courses.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Full disclosure - I have dealings with the Springboard process, so I am very surprised you heard nothing from the colleges themselves.

Did you contact the colleges directly? There is always a contact name on each of the courses.

I left it for another couple of days but as the course was meant to start this Monday I contacted the college directly via the email provided by Springboard. I asked if my application had been received by the college as I was very interested in the course but I got no response to my email.

Very bad form on the part of the college imo.

Advertisement