Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent breadknife

Options
  • 09-10-2020 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for a breadknife?
    Must have discarded my old one in the bin and I am lost without it!
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If you are looking for a decent one Newbridge Cutlery seem to have what you need, it can be ordered online even have it engraved with your name and get 10% discount on your first order

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Thanks a lot Red Ace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Go get a professional chefs brand like serrated carving knife by Wurstof or Victornox. My mother swore by Prestige. Sabatier have outsource manufacturing from France to China in recent years and arent the brand they used to be. Never buy a knife that is either unbranded or "looks like" or is "as good as" the brand you want. Buy a proper set of knives when you are young and make them last you a life time.

Good advice Scooter. The one I had was used for everything and I had it for years. Went in the bin with the cooking apple peels!!
    I will try for one of the brands you recommended and thank you.

Good advice Scooter. The one I had was used for everything and I had it for years. Went in the bin with the cooking apple peels!!
    I will try for one of the brands you recommended and thank you.

I used to be a chef (*throws eyes up to heaven*), never buy from a man in a van or the brief case with "all the knives you will ever need", Soligern and inox mean nothing. Buy from reputable dealers even if they are more expensive. Better buying over priced knives that will last rather than great bargains that are fakes. My wife and I got a lovely present of these "swiss knives" that came in a lovely box that were all the colours of the rainbow. They werent worth anything, I gave them to a charity shop. Anyone buying knives for a wedding gift? You are better off buying one high cost Victornox rather than a set of the above.

If you have money to blow global knives are a great investment. They are Japanese, suited to chefs with smaller hands and will last you a lifetime if you take care of them. Watchout for knockoffs. If it looks like Global and doesnt have Global on the side its a knockoff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd go for Victorinox, might cost up to €30 but will last, bread crusts are actually quite hard blades, you wouldn't think it.

Seamai wrote: »
    I'd go for Victorinox, might cost up to €30 but will last, bread crusts are actually quite hard blades, you wouldn't think it.

Over a life time that is very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Over a life time that is very reasonable.

It is and they will last, I worked as a purchasing manager for a company that sold Victorinox products for many years, they're a good balance of price and quality.

Having a look at the Victorinox knives. I have a drawer full of useless knives which I need to dispose of and that is another problem.

Having a look at the Victorinox knives. I have a drawer full of useless knives which I need to dispose of and that is another problem.

If that is the case, it might be cheaper to buy a set and start again.
    It should contain:
    A Chefs knife
    A boning knife
    A small straight edged utility
    A small serrated edge utility
    A serrated bread
    A sharpening steel

A fish filleting knife and straight carving knife are optional.

• Advertisement

If that is the case, it might be cheaper to buy a set and start again.
    It should contain:
    A Chefs knife
    A boning knife
    A small straight edged utility
    A small serrated edge utility
    A serrated bread
    A sharpening steel

A fish filleting knife and straight carving knife are optional.

Many thanks Skooterblue for your advice. Purchased some of the Victornox knives you recommended and I am more than happy with them.:)

Advertisement