Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying cabin cruiser from uk/france advice and price comparisons

Options
  • 05-10-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, Im hoping you can help me.
    I'm hoping to purchase our first cabin criuser 6 to 8 berth for the 2021 season on Irelands inland waterways. There doesn't seem to be alot of choice in Ireland and the uk and mainland europe prices seem better compared to ireland.

1)Firstly am i looking in the right place for Ireland (donedeal & apollo duck)?

2) Does anyone have any idea of transportation costs from mainland europe/uk for a cabin cruiser of this size range (i'm guessing 30 ft plus)

3) Does anyone have any advice for someone buying a cruiser with 6/8 berths (size, price range expected, engine type, history, age, hull material etc)

4)What are the best buying sites for what I am looking for in france/netherlands/uk etc.

Even though this is my first boat purchase I have grown up on the lake and have knowledge of water safety, navigation, berthing rules/costs, maintenance etc. I come from a sailing family and we ourselves have small sailing vessels but this is a purchase for my family of six to enjoy leisure time on the inland waterways. (my husband has no interest in sailing hence the preference for a cruiser)

Any and all advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1)Firstly am i looking in the right place for Ireland (donedeal & apollo duck)?

Try also Yacht Market, and filter to what you want... and also search in various countries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stay away from donedeal, cowboys selling ****ters, there's a reason it's called a "donedeal special"...

Cost of transport is into the thousands and you will likely be buying blind as the chances of visiting the boat in the UK or continent will be slim. Engaging the services of a surveyor will be more important than ever and a full mechanical report will be absolutely required.

The Irish market is slim pickings, but put the word out on inland boating FB groups and you'd be surprised what is suddenly for sale.

When buying an old motorboat, it's the engine(s) you're paying for and the rest is just the icing. Knackered engines will cost more than the boat is worth and drain your finances quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭Tow

12 years ago (from memory) ~8K to ship a 35 foot yacht from Germany to Dublin on a low-loader.
    There is a post you have probably already seen on the IWAI site regarding shipping a narrow boat from the UK https://www.iwai.ie/bringing-you-boat-to-ireland/

If you want to go on the canals, cabin cruisers (gin palace style) can draw too much water, you will also need a weed hatch etc. On the other side of the coin, I am not sure how good (safe) a British narrow boat is on the lakes.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sarahstrikes

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Stay away from donedeal, cowboys selling ****ters, there's a reason it's called a "donedeal special"...

Cost of transport is into the thousands and you will likely be buying blind as the chances of visiting the boat in the UK or continent will be slim. Engaging the services of a surveyor will be more important than ever and a full mechanical report will be absolutely required.

The Irish market is slim pickings, but put the word out on inland boating FB groups and you'd be surprised what is suddenly for sale.

When buying an old motorboat, it's the engine(s) you're paying for and the rest is just the icing. Knackered engines will cost more than the boat is worth and drain your finances quickly.

What would you consider a good engine age/type that will give little trouble? I know nothing is guaranteed when buying a boat but as I'm totally new to this any info is helpful to help me make a decision. I've seen 30/40 year old Dutch steel type boats for sale which makes me wary of the engine condition but they are alot cheaper than the newer ones so maybe there is a reason.

Tow wrote: »
    12 years ago (from memory) ~8K to ship a 35 foot yacht from Germany to Dublin on a low-loader.
    There is a post you have probably already seen on the IWAI site regarding shipping a narrow boat from the UK https://www.iwai.ie/bringing-you-boat-to-ireland/

If you want to go on the canals, cabin cruisers (gin palace style) can draw too much water, you will also need a weed hatch etc. On the other side of the coin, I am not sure how good (safe) a British narrow boat is on the lakes.

I actually love the layouts of the narrow boats and would love if these were an option but it will mainly be the lakes we are on so it wouldnt be suitable. Any of the local barges I've seen are fab but as we're mainly going to be moving about at the weekends and the odd holiday week the speed would be a factor with these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Lots of Marina's have a for sale section and you may also get a bit of a warranty and history if you buy from them, the hire boat companies also sell off their boats and would be worth a look although with staycation they now seem to be holding on to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

we've just bought a boat here, and i know a few folk working around the marinas, according to them demand is very high, nothing is sitting long and boats that wouldn't sell the last couple of seasons moved no issue this year. much like the huge demand for the hire boats it seems staycation is driving up boat purchases majorly as well. hence why you are not find a lot i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

1) You probably are looking in the right places - you can do a europe wide search on Apolloduck. Add Gumtree.com and specify Northern Ireland also.

2) 6k from the UK

3) 6/8 berth cruiser is 40ft+ and even then some - unusual to need to accommodate that many people - usually results in people sleeping on couches.
    Narrowboats will not accomodate that many people and are pointless in Ireland as all our inland waterways are relatively wide, wider barges might accommodate more but maintenance on barges is ridiculous - labour of love required.
    Some people like steel boats - i am not one of them unless relatively new, plenty of rot boxes around and I would only buy Dutch steel - not Irish.
    Fiberglass is preferable but also watch for Osmosis. Hull and engines need to be sound, in fact stay away from a fixer upper and buy the best condition boat you can afford. Get both a mechanical and hull survey if spending 20k+ (which you will be £££).
    Single engines preferrable for inland waterways as prop is more protected from hitting things
    Aft cabin designs will be better for more accomodation, see 'Broom' boats for examples, most dutch steel are similar.

We find that a 38ft aft cabin single engine broom is about the biggest boat that will go 'everywhere' on Shannon navigation. Probably wouldn't fit on Grand / Royal canal but good for Shannon Erne, Acres Lake / Lough Allen, Boyle, Camlin river (my favourite!).

I think youre spending 30-40k for a '70's boat needing considerable maintenance and upwards from there for nicer / newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭Tow

Rugby Boats in the UK have appear to some suitable boats from time to time.

Nice Dutch barge for ~£85k, unfortunately already sold.

https://youtu.be/V2V8fSBiF-s

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Ferris wrote: »
    1) You probably are looking in the right places - you can do a europe wide search on Apolloduck. Add Gumtree.com and specify Northern Ireland also.

2) 6k from the UK

3) 6/8 berth cruiser is 40ft+ and even then some - unusual to need to accommodate that many people - usually results in people sleeping on couches.
    Narrowboats will not accomodate that many people and are pointless in Ireland as all our inland waterways are relatively wide, wider barges might accommodate more but maintenance on barges is ridiculous - labour of love required.
    Some people like steel boats - i am not one of them unless relatively new, plenty of rot boxes around and I would only buy Dutch steel - not Irish.
    Fiberglass is preferable but also watch for Osmosis. Hull and engines need to be sound, in fact stay away from a fixer upper and buy the best condition boat you can afford. Get both a mechanical and hull survey if spending 20k+ (which you will be £££).
    Single engines preferrable for inland waterways as prop is more protected from hitting things
    Aft cabin designs will be better for more accomodation, see 'Broom' boats for examples, most dutch steel are similar.

We find that a 38ft aft cabin single engine broom is about the biggest boat that will go 'everywhere' on Shannon navigation. Probably wouldn't fit on Grand / Royal canal but good for Shannon Erne, Acres Lake / Lough Allen, Boyle, Camlin river (my favourite!).

I think youre spending 30-40k for a '70's boat needing considerable maintenance and upwards from there for nicer / newer.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive and informative reply. It will be a great help to me in figuring out what we want. Great to know the max size I can use on the whole shannon as would hate to be restricted. The only reason I wanted 8 berth is because that normally means 6 + couch conversion and if we can have separate cabins to the living area it would be better as we will be using it like a holiday home during the summer but it might tip us over what we could spend. 30/40k is alot of money for a boat that will need alot of maintenance so we may have to adjust our budget/expectations accordingly. Thank you so much again for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

Brought in a Bayliner 2855 from Florida, the truck driver who did the final leg of the boats journey asked how I felt about the boat.
    I said really pleased, he said I was very lucky getting the right boat as most people were not to pleased with boats from the Florida guy.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive and informative reply. It will be a great help to me in figuring out what we want. Great to know the max size I can use on the whole shannon as would hate to be restricted. The only reason I wanted 8 berth is because that normally means 6 + couch conversion and if we can have separate cabins to the living area it would be better as we will be using it like a holiday home during the summer but it might tip us over what we could spend. 30/40k is alot of money for a boat that will need alot of maintenance so we may have to adjust our budget/expectations accordingly. Thank you so much again for your reply.

God, I hope I haven’t put you off, apologies.

As an option this is a very nice boat, it’s berthed near us and always seemed well kept. Has 6 permanent berths, from a good builder, relatively low maintenance and good engine but it is expensive. It’s been for sale for a while however.

https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/haines-37/648727

Might help you decide what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

God, I hope I haven’t put you off, apologies.

As an option this is a very nice boat, it’s berthed near us and always seemed well kept. Has 6 permanent berths, from a good builder, relatively low maintenance and good engine but it is expensive. It’s been for sale for a while however.

https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/haines-37/648727

Might help you decide what you like.

Maybe one for a seperate thread but would someone have a ballpark annualised running cost for a boat like this? I'm thinking berthage, insurance, maintenance & upkeep, repairs, iwai registration etc. I'm thinking a tenner an hour would cover diesel easily and overnighting away from home marina generally free. Am I missing anything?

Berthing 1500 incl lifts for winter storage
    Insurance 600
    Maint. Do our own so cheap, oil, filters and antifreeze.
    Repairs, don’t ask, currently astronomical.
    Diesel 1-2gal p/h single engine 80hp
    Overnight is free on public moorings
    Another cost people forget is transport to and from boat

1500 for berth and lifts etc is very good, I was paying roughly that for a 30 foot near Portumna when I finished up in 2009 and moved to a cheaper one.
    All lift outs and Winter storage extra.

Its in Albert Lough Marina, we're very happy there.

Its in Albert Lough Marina, we're very happy there.

I gathered that from the boat you pointed out.
    Should I spread the word or keep it quiet?
    Can I ask is their a public slipway nearby.

Spread away, the place is massive. Don’t know if there is a public slipway but there is one in the boatyard.

Spread away, the place is massive. Don’t know if there is a public slipway but there is one in the boatyard.

Thanks for that, if we can ever get back to normal will launch at Dromod and have a look.

Berthing 1500 incl lifts for winter storage
    Insurance 600
    Maint. Do our own so cheap, oil, filters and antifreeze.
    Repairs, don’t ask, currently astronomical.
    Diesel 1-2gal p/h single engine 80hp
    Overnight is free on public moorings
    Another cost people forget is transport to and from boat

That's much more reasonable than I had thought.
    Why so much on repairs as of late? This wouldn't be typical I would assume? People throw around 10% of the cost of the boat each year on maintenance and repairs?

• Advertisement

We're refitting the interior, it was a hire boat for 30yrs so aspects of it are very tired. This is a anomoly really, most people wouldn't bother but we like the boat.

The thing is with boats is that you might not have a big hitter for years, just covering the basic maintenance, and then something big hits like engine trouble or hull repairs. Not sure if a blanket 10% applies as older cheaper boats usually need more work. Id say you need to be putting away a decent sum every year to cover eventualities.

Another thing to do is when bugeting repairs, double it!

We're refitting the interior, it was a hire boat for 30yrs so aspects of it are very tired. This is a anomoly really, most people wouldn't bother but we like the boat.

Sounds like you should start a thread!! :pac:

Probably. Its frustrating as we cant get down to the boat now with lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

If buying from UK youd wana get move on Brexit is looming and still issues around VAT paid on boats been brought in and out of EU countries & UK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

600 for insurance? Just insured a 37ft , staying in the water for the winter, with a demudifier running(which adds)and it was about half that. That seems very high

Just coming back to this thread again as there seems to be great knowledge here. I have looked at a 45 foot cruiser and the layout is perfect but my biggest worry is the size. I would definitely have to get the fixed fibreglass flybridge arch hinged to have any chance of navigating the inland waterways (could anyone give me an rough estimate cost for this).
    Aside from the height is there anything else I need to be on the look out for which would restrict navigation on ireland inland waterways?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You should look for something with a draft up to 4 foot 4 1/2 max anything over that could be asking for trouble, also having the propeller on a shaft protected by a keel is better than an outdrive where the propeller is just hanging on an expensive gearbox below the boat :eek: Hard to put a price on the arch as it would depend on what supports need to be put in (the weight of the arch) and what the access is like to put them in.

What make / model is the boat?

Re. Radar arch. They are usually very heavy structures so any hinge or mechanism needs to be well engineered. I’ve heard of it being done but at great expense. Are there radio aerials/ radar/ gps etc on the arch? Cables etc would need to be considered. This would not be easy unless you are willing to just cut it off and mosey on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I'm in the same boat (sorry for terrible pun).
    Looking to buy a little 5-6m fishing cruiser. France looks like a fantastic deal on apolloduck but absolutely no idea how to get it home. Are there any known brokers who provide a service to inspect and bring home boats?

• Advertisement

deegs wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat (sorry for terrible pun).
    Looking to buy a little 5-6m fishing cruiser. France looks like a fantastic deal on apolloduck but absolutely no idea how to get it home. Are there any known brokers who provide a service to inspect and bring home boats?

When we brought boats in from Florida they used to ship them to Southampton and a broker would deliver them to Ireland, oddly enough via Larne/Stranaer.
    If you searched brokers in Southampton they might handle the whole thing.

Advertisement