Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best camera system?

• 27-09-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I've been searching the internet for the best camera systems for a long time. But I could not find the camera systems suitable for my home. While surfing the internet, I came across an interesting article. Named Xfinity vs Adt. Anyone who knows these camera systems well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Most of the commercial security cameras are either Hikvision or Dahua. There's a few others but these are highly regarded. There's also tonnes of cheap junk out there and plenty of newcomers like nest, arlo etc.
    The xfinity brand you mentioned is nothing to write home about and you have to pay a monthly subscription. Not something I'd recommend.
    ADT are marginally better but again, there's far better out there.
    Look up hikvision darkfighter or ColorVu ranges and see what suits your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

Most of the commercial security cameras are either Hikvision or Dahua. There's a few others but these are highly regarded. There's also tonnes of cheap junk out there and plenty of newcomers like nest, arlo etc.
    The xfinity brand you mentioned is nothing to write home about and you have to pay a monthly subscription. Not something I'd recommend.
    ADT are marginally better but again, there's far better out there.

Thank you for your comment, I will evaluate.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Do you know which of these two are best?
    I have only seen videos of their actual own made videos and not from people.
    A guy I know is getting the ColourVu installed on Thursday he hopes.

I just wonder, too, since my mother has 5MP HIKVision and they're great at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭altor

PeteK* wrote: »
    Do you know which of these two are best?
    I have only seen videos of their actual own made videos and not from people.
    A guy I know is getting the ColourVu installed on Thursday he hopes.

I just wonder, too, since my mother has 5MP HIKVision and they're great at night time.

The ColorVu are better at night IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Depends on the situation.
    If you want permanent colour, the ColorVu wins. If you want to just use streetlight or starlight, the colorvu wins. If you want to use natural white light to illuminate the field of view, the colorvu wins. However, if you want something to work in darkness with no visible light supplied on board or externally, then the darkfighter wins. Ditto if you want spiders.

• Advertisement

Depends on the situation.
    If you want permanent colour, the ColorVu wins. If you want to just use streetlight or starlight, the colorvu wins. If you want to use natural white light to illuminate the field of view, the colorvu wins. However, if you want something to work in darkness with no visible light supplied on board or externally, then the darkfighter wins. Ditto if you want spiders.

I have not heard of this system before, I will examine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got two ColorVu cameras recently. There's no working street lights on my road (new estate) but some lighting across the road from apartments and a street light on the main road 75m away. The road itself is almost pitch black, ColorVu sees clearly.

It didn't concern me as I knew there was some light nearby for the camera to pickup. My concern was the back garden, once people's garden lights are off it's pitch black. My garden is surrounded by a rectangle of houses so no street light coming through but the ColorVu still sees well there.

Savage piece of kit but has limitations in certain scenarios. My sister lives in the sticks, it wouldn't be useful there without any light whatsoever.

Two ColorVu cameras, an NVR with 2TB and cables were cheaper than two Nest IQ cameras and much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭altor

rlady wrote: »
    I have not heard of this system before, I will examine it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_DFZJCc7U

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I got two ColorVu cameras recently. There's no working street lights on my road (new estate) but some lighting across the road from apartments and a street light on the main road 75m away. The road itself is almost pitch black, ColorVu sees clearly.

It didn't concern me as I knew there was some light nearby for the camera to pickup. My concern was the back garden, once people's garden lights are off it's pitch black. My garden is surrounded by a rectangle of houses so no street light coming through but the ColorVu still sees well there.

Savage piece of kit but has limitations in certain scenarios. My sister lives in the sticks, it wouldn't be useful there without any light whatsoever.

Two ColorVu cameras, an NVR with 2TB and cables were cheaper than two Nest IQ cameras and much better quality.
    hi Davey
    mind me asking how much approx and where you picked them up ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

hi Davey
    mind me asking how much approx and where you picked them up ?
    thanks

It was €514 from RF Concepts. I didn't pay for express shipping but they arrived next day with DPD.

Genuinely impressed with them.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »

Thank you. The video was pretty interesting

Advertisement