Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 5 Horror Film Reccomendations

Comments

Some great pics here. Horror is one of my favourite genres so hard for me to pick 5.

In no particular order.
    The Omen
    *The Exorcist of Emily Rose
    El Orfanato
    The Conjuring
    *The Changeling.

*I watched that years ago so its possible it won't have the same impact on me now. I'm like that with certain films. At the time though it terrified the life out of me.

*Not the Angelina Jolie film of the same name.

Some recent popular ones don't do it for me as horror films. Don't Breathe, Get Out, It Follows etc. I think they are brilliant but aren't scary in the right way for me. Then you have films like Hereditary that disturbed me enough that I stopped watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Last night i watched Relic, very eerie, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Some great pics here. Horror is one of my favourite genres so hard for me to pick 5.

In no particular order.
    The Omen
    *The Exorcist of Emily Rose
    El Orfanato
    The Conjuring
    *The Changeling.

*I watched that years ago so its possible it won't have the same impact on me now. I'm like that with certain films. At the time though it terrified the life out of me.

*Not the Angelina Jolie film of the same name.

Some recent popular ones don't do it for me as horror films. Don't Breathe, Get Out, It Follows etc. I think they are brilliant but aren't scary in the right way for me. Then you have films like Hereditary that disturbed me enough that I stopped watching it.

I didnt like Get Out,it didnt live up to the hype,

Event Horizon is the same,didnt like that either

I liked the Borderlands but the ending was ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The reaping (2007)
    End of days (1999)
    Season of the witch (2011)
    Needful things (1993)
    The wicker man (1973).

And I've left out The devils backbone & pan's labyrinth, both of which I rate very highly

Kylta wrote: »
    The reaping (2007)
    End of days (1999)
    Season of the witch (2011)
    Needful things (1993)
    The wicker man (1973).

And I've left out The devils backbone & pan's labyrinth, both of which I rate very highly

Can i just say that The devils backbone & pan's labyrinth are vastly superior to those 5 movies?

• Advertisement

dubstarr wrote: »
    I didnt like Get Out,it didnt live up to the hype,

Same here, and Us was even worse

For me his films look like Twilight Zone episodes at best

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Same here, and Us was even worse

For me his films look like Twilight Zone episodes at best

I loved Get Out and thought Us was even better, I was reading up on theories and meanings afterwards for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

a few other indie horrors I loved;

Absentia (2011 - Mike flanagan, gone on to bigger things now like Gerald's game and Dr. Sleep which was pretty good too)
    the loved ones (2009 aussie flick, this was brillantly gory and shocking)
    Bone tomahawk (horror western with Kurt Russell!)
    the Devil's candy (I just discovered it's same director of the loved one's! - like a more modern day shining)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Ringu
    Let The Right One in (the Swedish original)
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Exorcist and Poltergeist scared the crap out of me. I saw them both when I was about 12 or 13, which was probably too young :D

The way I saw Poltergeist was when we were kids we'd stay in a caravan site in Wexford during the summer holidays. On Tuesday and Wednesday they'd show films in what seemed like a school hall with a screen. This particular week Tuesday's movie was Stripes (Bill Murray army comedy) and Wednesday was Poltergeist. So us kids went to see Stripes on the Tuesday. But they put on Poltergeist instead. Cue a room full of kids losing it terrified out of their minds :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I loved Get Out and thought Us was even better, I was reading up on theories and meanings afterwards for a couple of days.

Us is just one long slasher chase movie. Normal folk trying to get away from the bad folk. There is nothing else to it.
    It was well know that there is a bit of a twist at the end of it. With that in mind whilst watching the film, it was easy to know what that was from about half way in the film. I was thinking to myself – “please be something a little more clever”. But when that did arrive in the last scene, it was such a let down.
    I thought I was the only one who thought Get Out was vastly overrated. There are many movies that I’d rewatch. But that definitely isn’t one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Anyway, I came on to say my favourite one, which has had only one mention on the thread.
    Audition. If you like Japanese stuff like Ringu, this is unmissable imo. One of my favourite movies, horror or otherwise. I love how it starts off like some goofy rom com for half an hour or more, but then it turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Rosemarys Baby, truly disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

To me a proper horror has to have an element of supernatural as well as an underlying feeling of dread throughout as opposed to a straight up thriller. It's not always strictly true but some of the suggestions here to me are thrillers.

Apart from some already mentioned some horrors worth checking out are:
    • The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
    • The Ruins
    • The Babadook
    • Cabin In the Woods (probably more comedy but a good send up of the horror genre)
    • Bone Tomahawk (every man who's seen it is wincing now)
    • Near Dark (a classic from Kathryn Bigelow)
    • 28 Weeks Later
    • Hellraiser (may not be to everyone's taste but scared the hell out of me)

Films I've heard good things about:
    • Hush
    • Haunting of Hill House (TV Series)
    • The Love Witch (homage to 60's 70's type horror which may not be for everyone)
    • Ready Or Not

I've also recently watched the Suspiria remake and although it has some moments I 'm not big on it. Also I can't stand Dakota Johnson and the Liv Tyler school of acting that she does.

Actually Cabin in the woods is a really good film.Its not what i expected at all.
    I thought Shrooms was quite good,even though it didnt get great reviews.

And i really liked the new Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

p to the e wrote: »
    I've also recently watched the Suspiria remake and although it has some moments I 'm not big on it. Also I can't stand Dakota Johnson and the Liv Tyler school of acting that she does.

What's that?

Rothko wrote: »
    What's that?

I'll take a guess - Is it the tensed up "look at sensitive me" type of characters. Trying to pretend that they are sultry, but actually comes across looking a bit dim-witted.

I'll take a guess - Is it the tensed up "look at sensitive me" type of characters. Trying to pretend that they are sultry, but actually comes across looking a bit dim-witted.

Yes those long stares with the glassed over eyeballs like they're ready to cry at any moment and barely audible speech to convey their fragility. No wonder Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis were fighting to stay on the spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

To me a proper horror has to have an element of supernatural as well as an underlying feeling of dread throughout as opposed to a straight up thriller. It's not always strictly true but some of the suggestions here to me are thrillers.

Apart from some already mentioned some horrors worth checking out are:
    • The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
    • The Ruins
    • The Babadook
    • Cabin In the Woods (probably more comedy but a good send up of the horror genre)
    • Bone Tomahawk (every man who's seen it is wincing now)
    • Near Dark (a classic from Kathryn Bigelow)
    • 28 Weeks Later
    • Hellraiser (may not be to everyone's taste but scared the hell out of me)

Films I've heard good things about:
    • Hush
    • Haunting of Hill House (TV Series)
    • The Love Witch (homage to 60's 70's type horror which may not be for everyone)
    • Ready Or Not

The haunting of Hill House is excellent - really enjoyed it and I am not a huge lover of horror content.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Heres another few

Deranged
    Ghosts of war
    Velvet Buzzsaw*
    In the tall grass
    Scary stories to tell in the dark*
    VHS (1 and 2)*

*Decent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Most of these probably already mentioned but sure I will have a go anyway:

My all-time favourites:

Halloween - Just one of the best films of all time, horror or otherwise. I consider it to be perfect

A Nightmare on Elm St - I feel like the many many sequels have sullied the rep of the original, I think a lot of people forget just how creepy and effective this film is with a relatively low body count. I hate that the series devolved into set piece kills and terrible puns

The Descent - Up there with the previous two as an all-time great. The oppressive atmosphere just keeps getting ratcheted up and up before the film explodes into life in the last 40 mins or so. Also one of the all-time great endings to any film (just do not watch the american edit - or the sequel).

Alien - The ultimate haunted house movie, also one of the ultimate sci-fi movies with the ultimate movie monster. Has an equally good sequel that happens to be in a different genre altogether

Near Dark - Ultra-violent western/vampire film, what's not to like?

Blair Witch Project - The deluge of found footage films that released in its wake will never come close to the original.

Some of my more recent favourites:

It Follows - Comes closer to the atmosphere and dread of the original Halloween that any other film I have ever seen, including Halloween's own sequels

The VVitch - Maybe slightly uneventful but an amazing atmosphere and extremely pretty to look at, especially in UHD

VHS - I thought it was a better anthology than Trick r Treat

The Last Exorcism - Probably my favourite of the the found footage movies after Blair Witch

Annihilation - Not sure if this counts, I consider it a horror movie, essential sci-fi anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The Old Classics
    • Poltergeist
    • Alien
    • The Shining
    • Rosemarys Baby - only saw this in the past few years and was surprised by how shockingly effective it was :eek:
    • Omen
    • The Exorcist
    • Candyman
    • Silence of the Lambs
    • The Thing
    • The Fly
    • Nightmare on Elm Street
    • Bram Stokers Dracula - high camp, but gotta love those incredible practical effects and Oldmans iconic turn as the Count ;)

Recent Classics
    • The Conjuring
    • The Descent
    • 28 Days Later
    • Train to Busan
    • From Dusk Till Dawn - in my mind their first Grindhouse movie, first half is pure Tarantino and the back half is classic Rodriguez :P
    • The Mist

Recent and Decent
    • The Thing (Prequel) - I think this gets an unfair rap because of its comparison to the Carpenter classic. It plays as a prequel, but if watched in that order it unfortunately takes some of the surprise out of the 1982 version.
    • It Follows - this one just freaked me the hell out. Everything from the music, the camera moves, even the premise was creepy as hell.
    • A Quiet Place

Remake Heaven
    • The Ring
    • The Crazies
    • Dawn of the Dead
    • The Hills Have Eyes

Comedy Horror
    • Scream
    • Ready or Not
    • Tremors
    • Zombieland
    • Cabin in the Woods
    • Fright Night
    • The Host

Bonus "Is it Horror?" mention
    • The Invitation

I didnt like The Haunting of Hill House,but teh 1963 film The Haunting is so much better.Tense,suspenceful.Great film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_(1963_film)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The Old Classics
    • Poltergeist
    • Alien
    • The Shining
    • Rosemarys Baby - only saw this in the past few years and was surprised by how shockingly effective it was :eek:
    • Omen
    • The Exorcist
    • Candyman
    • Silence of the Lambs
    • The Thing
    • The Fly
    • Bram Stokers Dracula - high camp, but gotta love those incredible practical effects and Oldmans iconic turn as the Count ;)

Recent Classics
    • The Conjuring
    • The Descent
    • 28 Days Later
    • Train to Busan
    • From Dusk Till Dawn - in my mind their first Grindhouse movie, first half is pure Tarantino and the back half is classic Rodriguez :P
    • The Mist

Recent and Decent
    • The Thing (Prequel) - I think this gets an unfair rap because of its comparison to the Carpenter classic. It plays as a prequel, but if watched in that order it unfortunately takes some of the surprise out of the 1982 version.
    • It Follows - this one just freaked me the hell out. Everything from the music, the camera moves, even the premise was creepy as hell.
    • A Quiet Place

Remake Heaven
    • The Ring
    • The Crazies
    • Dawn of the Dead
    • The Hills Have Eyes

Comedy Horror
    • Scream
    • Ready or Not
    • Tremors
    • Zombieland
    • Cabin in the Woods
    • Fright Night
    • The Host

• The Invitation

None of the evil deads in the comedy section

The Old Classics
    • Poltergeist
    • Alien
    • The Shining
    • Omen
    • The Exorcist
    • Candyman
    • Silence of the Lambs
    • The Thing
    • The Fly

Recent Classics
    • The Conjuring
    • The Descent
    • 28 Days Later
    • Train to Busan
    • The Mist

Recent and Decent
    • A Quiet Place

Remake Heaven
    • The Ring
    • The Crazies
    • Dawn of the Dead
    • The Hills Have Eyes

Comedy Horror
    • Scream
    • Ready or Not
    • Tremors
    • Zombieland
    • Cabin in the Woods
    • Fright Night
    • The Host

• The Invitation

Never heard of "The Invitation". That's added to the list. I agree with the "The Thing" prequel but a last minute decision to change from practical effects to banal looking CGI really didn't help it. This video shows the amount of effort that went into the effects that were then dropped and I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Never heard of "The Invitation". That's added to the list. I agree with the "The Thing" prequel but a last minute decision to change from practical effects to banal looking CGI really didn't help it. This video shows the amount of effort that went into the effects that were then dropped and I don't know why.

The Invitation is very good. More of a thriller than a horror but the mounting sense of dread is handled extraordinarily well. It's one I always recommend on Netflix.

The Invitation is very good. More of a thriller than a horror but the mounting sense of dread is handled extraordinarily well. It's one I always recommend on Netflix.

Ya, decent film. Definately wouldn't call it horrow in the traditional sense anyway. No real scares and gore in respectable supply.

Sometimes I read too much about movies before watching them. Read about the "mindblowing surprise ending". Bit of a letdown.
    I'd love to watch a movie that has that magic twist at the end - like The Sixth Sense or Usual Suspects. But don't seem to happen very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Ya, decent film. Definately wouldn't call it horrow in the traditional sense anyway. No real scares and gore in respectable supply.

Sometimes I read too much about movies before watching them. Read about the "mindblowing surprise ending". Bit of a letdown.
    I'd love to watch a movie that has that magic twist at the end - like The Sixth Sense or Usual Suspects. But don't seem to happen very often.

I hadn't read anything about so that probably helped. I'd hardly call it a mindblowing surprise ending though...

The Mist had a twist at the end that was just plain horrible and the end of The Others was very well handled but some twists just make the film unbelievably goofy and stupid. Switchblade Romance is one that stands out for me. When the twist happened at the end, I thought the movie fell completely apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Kylta wrote: »
    None of the evil deads in the comedy section

I'm actually not that big of a fan of any of the Evil Deads, none of the ones I watched really worked for me (think I've seen 1, 2, Army of Darkness and the remake........actually, that might be all of them?!). I did really enjoy the TV show, but haven't finished it yet. Could be the inclusion of Xena Warrior Princess though. Everything is immediately better when you add Lucy Lawless to the mix :D

Yep, I saw that before actually, a fierce amount of incredible work for it to simply be cut! :mad: I didn't want to bring that up in my comment, as its one of the big negatives in the movie. Its not that the CGI is awful by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to the practical efforts, its night and day. And think of how much more amazing they'd have looked in camera after lighting and post-production!! :(

I think studios generally balk at using practical effects now, because of the extra time and effort and thinking people only want flashy CGI.
    I feel like it all kicked off with Jurassic Park really. I remember seeing the making-of years ago and Phil Tippett demonstrating his stop-motion dinos, only to be supplanted by ILMs CG dinos. In the end they still used Phils work to reference the movements of the dinos in CG, but feel like that breakthrough was the writing on the wall sadly.

Its such a pity too, as practical effects work (include make-up effects) can date a lot slower than CGI. Some CGI can look incredible at the time of release, but in a few short years can become laughable. The best practical effects work still stands up even now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I hadn't read anything about so that probably helped. I'd hardly call it a mindblowing surprise ending though...

The Mist had a twist at the end that was just plain horrible and the end of The Others was very well handled but some twists just make the film unbelievably goofy and stupid. Switchblade Romance is one that stands out for me. When the twist happened at the end, I thought the movie fell completely apart.

I thought the ending of the Mist was brilliant....albeit incredibly grim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'm actually not that big of a fan of any of the Evil Deads, none of the ones I watched really worked for me (think I've seen 1, 2, Army of Darkness and the remake........actually, that might be all of them?!). I did really enjoy the TV show, but haven't finished it yet. Could be the inclusion of Xena Warrior Princess though. Everything is immediately better when you add Lucy Lawless to the mix :D

Yep, I saw that before actually, a fierce amount of incredible work for it to simply be cut! :mad: I didn't want to bring that up in my comment, as its one of the big negatives in the movie. Its not that the CGI is awful by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to the practical efforts, its night and day. And think of how much more amazing they'd have looked in camera after lighting and post-production!! :(

I think studios generally balk at using practical effects now, because of the extra time and effort and thinking people only want flashy CGI.
    I feel like it all kicked off with Jurassic Park really. I remember seeing the making-of years ago and Phil Tippett demonstrating his stop-motion dinos, only to be supplanted by ILMs CG dinos. In the end they still used Phils work to reference the movements of the dinos in CG, but feel like that breakthrough was the writing on the wall sadly.

Its such a pity too, as practical effects work (include make-up effects) can date a lot slower than CGI. Some CGI can look incredible at the time of release, but in a few short years can become laughable. The best practical effects work still stands up even now!

I actually quite liked the recent Thing remake, apart from that annoying CGI. Such a shame the practical effects weren't left in it. Maybe a future Blu Ray release?

Advertisement