Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with hangovers? Christ I can't do it anymore

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wally1990 wrote: »
    I would of had 4 pints of beer (the house had a keg installed) and 8 cans of Guinness

equivalent of 11 pints - that's a lot of booze. I mean sure, drink water, dioralyte etc if it helps, but a better solution would be slow down, stay out of rounds, switch to water or tea towards the end of the night. Better for your liver and your guts.

I find the main issue, even after a fairly modest amount of beer, is I sleep really badly and then I'm wrecked the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Started drinking a serious amount of water and it helps enormously. Aim for 5 litres of water the day of drinking and day after. Like 1.5 litres before going to bed and when waking up. Also, going to sleep at the usual bed time helps heaps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

One cure is four pints the following morning and you would be grand.

For the tossing and turning the following night have two cans before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Started drinking a serious amount of water and it helps enormously. Aim for 5 litres of water the day of drinking and day after. Like 1.5 litres before going to bed and when waking up. Also, going to sleep at the usual bed time helps heaps too.

Would you not be up pissing like a racehorse ? 1.5 liters before bed ?:eek: after the pints ? Fukkkk.

Hangovers for me got worse with age... 5 pints and I’d have a slight seedy hangover, more... I’d be in ‘unwell’ territory.

Tried water before bed, before drinking, soakage when I got home, nada worked.

Caffeine Codeine Combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

One of the main reasons why I stopped drinking, hangovers were very depressing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's the dehydration that gets me.

Anyway, I have been drinking way too much this year (and other years). I now have been put on drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol, and I know that my liver function is not good too.

Time to give up the booze.

I'd like an alternative. Pity that it's hard to find the green :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's the dehydration that gets me.

Anyway, I have been drinking way too much this year (and other years). I now have been put on drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol, and I know that my liver function is not good too.

Time to give up the booze.

I'd like an alternative. Pity that it's hard to find the green :(

they found a bit in waterford

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0104/1187594-drugs-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Pcgamer wrote: »
    One cure is four pints the following morning and you would be grand.

For the tossing and turning the following night have two cans before bed.

I have tried them all, water, beer before bed, a cure etc. Nothing got rid of the fact that I'd be in bits after a session.
    Imagine Italian lads talking about the cure. Maybe they do. I'm not sure. :D
    Got to a stage where if I was drunk on a Friday night, Saturday would be writtern off, and parts of Sunday too.
    So I thought about it. If someone came up to me on the street and said "Give me €50 or €100 for this meal here, have a laugh while having it, but it will give you a headache, bad sleep, possibly puke etc" you'd tell them to eff off...
    I thought to myself why am I going out, and making a decision to spend money on stuff that's making me feel rotten.
    I jacked it in then, and went on non alcoholic beer. I'd have a beer with dinner, and that's about it, or 1 or 2 when I'm out with food, but that's it. No more getting drunk. Not worth the money, and I just can't hack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭facehugger99

All right, this is the plan. We get in there and get wrecked, then we'll eat a pork pie, then we'll drop a couple of Surmontil-50's each. That means we'll miss out Monday but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

All right, this is the plan. We get in there and get wrecked, then we'll eat a pork pie, then we'll drop a couple of Surmontil-50's each. That means we'll miss out Monday but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Wondering if anyone has experience of this. I’m mid 30s, drank a fair bit in my 20s, nothing major - typical Irish, a few nights out a month I guess. I always got a fairly bad hangover, I’d be getting sick, bad headaches etc, could last a few days after a big weekend. In the last few years though, even after as little as 1 bottle of beer, I’m sick as a dog the next day and often lasts 2 days. I don’t think it’s just age, although I’m sure that’s a factor. Anyone know of people developing intolerance to even very minor amounts of alcohol as you age?

My own guess is that I vomited quite a bit after nights out when I was younger and my stomach has just lost all tolerance for it.

Strumms wrote: »
    Would you not be up pissing like a racehorse ? 1.5 liters before bed ?:eek: after the pints ? Fukkkk.

Hangovers for me got worse with age... 5 pints and I’d have a slight seedy hangover, more... I’d be in ‘unwell’ territory.

Tried water before bed, before drinking, soakage when I got home, nada worked.

Yeah but it's a trade off between pissing like a racehorse and having a rotten hangover... I choose the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fuzzo

I find if I’m eating well, drinking enough water and doing the odd bit of excercise I can have 4-5 beers on a Friday or Saturday and not suffer, if I’ve been living on breakfast rolls and takeaways the same few beers could leave me with a two day hangover.
    An alka seltzer at bed time works wonders, settles the stomach and fixes the head.

Save the 12 pint sessions for once or twice a year when the occasion sees fit and use the following day or two to catch up with the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I have the same problem now myself. I was drinking 12 cans of heineken every day for a long time and just could not handle the hangovers anymore, then I got type 2 diabetes from all the sugar intake for so long and i had no choice but to stop drinking. Back on the wagon again for the last while but it is definitely time now to give it up for good, it's just not worth it at all, spending all that money just to feel like death the following day.

I might just drink non alcoholic beer if i feel the need for one. I found it really hard to give it up last time, and then two deaths in my family recently got me back on the drink, I'll be trying a lot harder this time to get off the stuff or I'll be next. Not easy though.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

I have the same problem now myself. I was drinking 12 cans of heineken every day for a long time and just could not handle the hangovers anymore, then I got type 2 diabetes from all the sugar intake for so long and i had no choice but to stop drinking. Back on the wagon again for the last while but it is definitely time now to give it up for good, it's just not worth it at all, spending all that money just to feel like death the following day.

I might just drink non alcoholic beer if i feel the need for one. I found it really hard to give it up last time, and then two deaths in my family recently got me back on the drink, I'll be trying a lot harder this time to get off the stuff or I'll be next. Not easy though.

Jaysus 12 cans a day is a serious problem. Stop now and do everything you can to get help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Fuzzo wrote: »
    I find if I’m eating well, drinking enough water and doing the odd bit of excercise I can have 4-5 beers on a Friday or Saturday and not suffer, if I’ve been living on breakfast rolls and takeaways the same few beers could leave me with a two day hangover.
    An alka seltzer at bed time works wonders, settles the stomach and fixes the head.

Save the 12 pint sessions for once or twice a year when the occasion sees fit and use the following day or two to catch up with the telly.

Four to five beers? I wouldn't even expect a hangover with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

have bottle of lucozade sport mid way through the night and then more before you go to sleep. This will prevent major dehydration and loss of salts.

Dont go to sleep while still flootered. Sober up a bit before you hit the scratcher.

Alcohol fúcks your sleep quality so you'll always have some tiredness the next day but the nausea should not be there if you hydrate well.

I'd also recommend sticking to pints of low alcohol beer like Rockshore Light. It's a a bit bland but difficult to do much damage on it. Darker drinks like Guinness give me worse hangovers, and I dont go near spirits any more.

Sleep is the only thing that will cure all your symptoms. So get as much sleep as you can and then get out and about, then an extra 30 minute power nap at some point.

I'd definitely concur with starting early and finishing early too. I've started doing that and do be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

Actually heard about the lucozade trick and have tried it. Def works. But I prefer the dissolving some dioralyte in a glass of water before heading to bed.

I'll have to have a load of pints now on Friday so I can test the Dioalyte's effectiveness. For research.

Will report back. 😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Drink some water during the night (very easy to forget but worth doing)
    • When home- Dioralyte & water, Nytol & water
    • Next morning- scrambled eggs or a smoothie.
    • Get some air, walk

Nothing can help the tiredness though, spend the day waiting to go to bed. And then there's a chance you don't sleep right the night after.

I don't sleep well the night of a hangover if I don't get out during the day and build up some normal physical tiredness.

If I spend the whole day hungover in bed, I end up restless that night. What works for me is to get up and go out for a couple of hours, then back for a 25-30 min power nap about 2pm and up again. This helps to relieve the hangover tiredness during the day without messing the body clock up too much.

Cant beat waking up the day after a hangover and feeling 100% again 🤩

I'm 40 and think that I have had 2 hangovers, ever. Came in handy when I worked in Guinness, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I often find after a big session, even if I get little sleep, I can barely sleep the following night either, just lie there in bed completely restless and unable to drift off. I have actually found that if I force myself to get active during the day, and then have 2 drinks with a decent dinner, I sleep a lot better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm not far off agewise and no. of hangovers. Maybe 10 ever. It's the tiredness that gets to me now. Waking up during the week at 6:30 for work, having a late night Fri and waking up at noon. Not that well rested, then getting going again at 6 or 7pm Sat and waking at 1 or 2 on Sunday.

Brutal trying to get enough sleep Sunday night for Monday morning.

OK I had zero hangovers at that point.

I fully understood what a hangover was, last month. Christ

Advertisement