Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project bike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ah yeah, it's scrap. It has a future as drinks cans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was it the fault of my crank puller?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Weepsie wrote: »

I'd imagine it was a case of round peg square hole. You need an adaptor to go through the square hole and hit the spindle. I usually use a 6 mm nut and bolt with some grease to hold it in place as it's blind once you put the crank puller on.

If you don't have the adaptor your hit the cranks and it's pulling against itself which ends up stripping the threads out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    no, i'd say it was a badly adjusted wheel - there was already a spoke broken on it.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you don't have the adaptor your hit the cranks and it's pulling against itself which ends up stripping the threads out.

the push rod (for want of a better word) on both tools weepsie lent me fit through the hole in the crank. but the damn things are welded on. thankfully, i didn't strip the threads as completely as i expected, so i'll have another go in the morning. have squirted in some penetrating oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

i'd been hoping to keep the rear wheel intact - a weinmann rim on a pelissier (never heard of them) hub, but:

525708.jpg

i don't think drilling a hole at the end of the crack is the tactic that will work here.
    the front wheel is an unbranded (though i haven't taken off the tyre yet) rim with too much wear on the braking surface, on a maillard hub.

and i borrowed a crank puller (thanks Weepsie!) and promptly stripped the threads on the drive side.

I think the technical term for that is ''f****d''....!

I might have some usable wheels in the spare parts pile that will suit.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was a case of round peg square hole. You need an adaptor to go through the square hole and hit the spindle. I usually use a 6 mm nut and bolt with some grease to hold it in place as it's blind once you put the crank puller on.

An old school trick is to use a ball bearing small enough to fit into the square hole of the crank but big enough that it can't be driven into the threaded hole in the bb spindle by the force exerted by the crank puller. Less likely to crush as the head of a bolt might.

the push rod (for want of a better word) on both tools weepsie lent me fit through the hole in the crank. but the damn things are welded on. thankfully, i didn't strip the threads as completely as i expected, so i'll have another go in the morning. have squirted in some penetrating oil.

Use a heat gun on the crank arm before removal; the alloy will expand more than the hardened steel of the bb spindle.

Hairdryer at its highest setting can also work, provided you don't get caught!

Alternatively pour boilng water on the crank but avoid getting it on the steel spindle...or your leg (speaking from experience lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

If it's a steel spindle and aluminium crank, you've more than likely got galvanic corrosion.

I'd put money on heat being your best friend here

i was actually about to head back out to have a go of it with the heat gun, would you believe. i also have a bog standard gas torch should i need it.
    cletus wrote: »
    If it's a steel spindle and aluminium crank, you've more than likely got galvanic corrosion.
    certainly looks like it.

regarding the hubs, cos i want to reuse as much of the bike as possible (bar the horrible chainwheel); is it a stupid idea to buy 36 spoke rims and try to lace them onto the old hub(s) myself? i guess everyone had to start at some time...

• Advertisement

8valve wrote: »
    I might have some usable wheels in the spare parts pile that will suit.
    just spotted this now - that's very generous!

well, brute force and ignorance won in the end; though i reckon i discovered i'd been making a rookie mistake on my first attempt. i was not bracing the crank puller against itself, i was bracing it against the crank.

525736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

i was actually about to head back out to have a go of it with the heat gun, would you believe. i also have a bog standard gas torch should i need it.

certainly looks like it.

regarding the hubs, cos i want to reuse as much of the bike as possible (bar the horrible chainwheel); is it a stupid idea to buy 36 spoke rims and try to lace them onto the old hub(s) myself? i guess everyone had to start at some time...

Absolutely no way I'd recommend this, been there and ended up in a mess of spokes, nipples, hub, rim and tears!! I felt like Gubnet O Lunacy... I brought the whole sorry mess to Terry in Wexford, yes he did laugh at the Scalder trying to be a wheel builder...

I'd be of the opposite opinion of CoBo55 above. Give it a shot. The very worst that could happen is you wont succeed, but you'll almost definitely learn something from it

well, brute force and ignorance won in the end; though i reckon i discovered i'd been making a rookie mistake on my first attempt. i was not bracing the crank puller against itself, i was bracing it against the crank.

525736.jpg

A good penetrating oil is a must for a project like this. One in a can is much better than any spray. We had 3in1 penetrating and easing oil it was fantastic we never could get it again, Plus gas is very good too.

I'd be of the opposite opinion of CoBo55 above. Give it a shot. The very worst that could happen is you wont succeed, but you'll almost definitely learn something from it

I was the same until I gave it a shot. :D

It looks a hell of a lot easier when looking at videos but what a ball ache. I'd happily pay a wheel builder, I had whip lash going back and forth to videos. I'd say if you did it regularly it would a piece of piss but for a one off wheelset I'd happily pass. :)

you mean looking backwards and forwards to get the lacing pattern right, before tightening everything up?

you mean looking backwards and forwards to get the lacing pattern right, before tightening everything up?

Yup just following the video I can't recall which one, I always seemed to need a third fourth and fifth hand and then when you have a kind of circular looking thing is when the real fun begins. It's not difficult just really tedious.

If you had a proper wheel stand,dishing and spoke tensioning gauge it would probably be easier. I jerry rigged the whole lot. :D

Always work within your abilities...

CoBo55 wrote: »

Jesus, if I did that I'd never give anything a go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If you don't test your abilities you'll never know what you can do.

certainly looks like it.

One method is to tape the new rim beside the old one and transfer the spokes one by one. Tension them all evenly to dish the wheel then, when all are attached to the new rim.

Worth a shot if you want to give it a go.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    If you don't test your abilities you'll never know what you can do.

It was a joke, I should have put 10 smiley faces after it.... Your reply got you a thanks so that should make you happy:rolleyes:

8valve wrote: »
    One method is to tape the new rim beside the old one and transfer the spokes one by one. Tension them all evenly to dish the wheel then, when all are attached to the new rim.

Worth a shot if you want to give it a go.

Good luck with trying to open 30 year old spoke nipples, seriously Op, take up the kind offer from an earlier poster and get a pair of wheels from him. You'll have enough other problems without taking on a specialized area that will kill off your enthusiasm for the project.

Good luck with trying to open 30 year old spoke nipples, seriously Op, take up the kind offer from an earlier poster and get a pair of wheels from him. You'll have enough other problems without taking on a specialized area that will kill off your enthusiasm for the project.

I've gotten 50 year old nipples to move freely (oooooh matron!) with patience, perseverance, penetrating fluid and copious amounts of swearing :D

MB, I've a pair of wheels that should do the job; please confirm rear axle spacing, number of rear sprockets and whether she's 700c or 27 & 1/4.

FOC as you kindly collected and stored more hardship for me!

i had completely forgotten that the dawes i found also had wheels!
    a pair of mismatched rigidas. not sure if they'd be any use to you? i have to check the exact specs on the wheels.

and when you say getting the nipples to move, you mean they will be bonded to the rim?

i had completely forgotten that the dawes i found also had wheels!
    a pair of mismatched rigidas. not sure if they'd be any use to you? i have to check the exact specs on the wheels.

and when you say getting the nipples to move, you mean they will be bonded to the rim?

I'd imagine more likely bones to the spoke, but don't know for sure

are nipples not easy to get hold of?
    (this is the sort of thing i can get away with asking on the cycling forum)

i'd be cutting the spokes anyway, the rim is shot and i'd have no intention of reusing spokes which were old enough to consider nirvana as being 'for the young folk'.
    if there was one thing i'd hope so salvage, it'd be the hub and the hub alone. and i've yet to inspect them.

i'd be cutting the spokes anyway, the rim is shot and i'd have no intention of reusing spokes which were old enough to consider nirvana as being 'for the young folk'.
    if there was one thing i'd hope so salvage, it'd be the hub and the hub alone. and i've yet to inspect them.

I've never rebuilt a wheel (or built one for that matter), so this is all conjecture on my behalf, but the nipples bonding to the spokes might be an issue for removal, rather than reuse. I'm not sure that you can cut spokes under tension, the you'd need to back off all thin nipples first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Before you dismantle the wheel I'd do the following
    *check lacing pattern on both sides; probably 3 cross but check.
    *measure a ds and a nds spoke
    *figure out how to service that hub, that being serviceable is essential to your wheel project!
    *measure rim erd

If you don't do the above you'll need very precise hub measurements and have to find a spoke calculator which allows you to determine the exact spoke you need for the rim you choose. All doable but you'll need to be accurate. Maybe check with website linked below

If you have all the above you can get identical replacement parts, spokes will be easy to get but searching for rim by erd will take a bit of time I would think.

Once you have all that and are happy you have right components you could giving building a go. Try and borrow the wheel stand, decent spoke key, tensiometer etc, you'll have enough to be doing without messing with bike frame, homemade jigs or whatever. You'll have a much better chance with good tools. The only DIY tool I have is a dishing tool my carpenter BIL made for me.

Before you do anything read Roger Musson's ebook, it's a brilliant book which take the mystery away from wheels and breaks down what you need to do. Brandt's book is great to, especially at explaining what a bike wheel actually is.

Take you time, walk away when you get frustrated and enjoy doing it.

The is a huge tread on bike radar forum I think where Malcolm Borg and an Italian wheelbuilder have made a lot of contributions over the years which might be worth checking out
    Link to Italian man's website here
    https://whosatthewheel.com/2017/11/12/the-bicycle-wheel-basic-dynamics/
    Bikeradar thread here
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13020726/handbuilt-wheels-the-big-thread

If you don't get answers there yacf.co.uk also has at least two regular wheelbuilders who contribute a lot. @Brucey knows a lot about wheels and seems to answers a lot of technical questions (or used to its been a while since I was on there). He claims to have wheels with 80,000 miles and never broken a spoke or needed truing. He places a huge emphasis on stress relieving as do most builders I've read.

Nice high bar for ya:)

EDIT I just checked @Brucey is still posting. Count how many times he says stress relieve!
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=116714.0

Advertisement