Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project bike

• 20-06-2020 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd put up a thread to track the progress of my project and hopefully get some suggestions for parts.

517113.jpg

It's not much to look at now but I'm hoping to have it back on the road in a few weeks.

The frame is a Dawes, I believe it's from the 80s. I bought it from a charity shop around 10 years ago and used it through college.

The frame and wheels are about all I'll keep, everything else will be replaced.

I'm hoping to keep this cheap enough so most parts will be second hand or from Amazon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Thought I'd put up a thread to track the progress of my project and hopefully get some suggestions for parts.

517113.jpg

It's not much to look at now but I'm hoping to have it back on the road in a few weeks.

The frame is a Dawes, I believe it's from the 80s. I bought it from a charity shop around 10 years ago and used it through college.

The frame and wheels are about all I'll keep, everything else will be replaced.

I'm hoping to keep this cheap enough so most parts will be second hand or from Amazon.

Rose bikes are good value for wheels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Love it. Another steel classic saved! Chapeau!

Boxes of spare parts here; let me know if you are stuck for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

8valve wrote: »
    Love it. Another steel classic saved! Chapeau!

Boxes of spare parts here; let me know if you are stuck for anything.

Thanks for that! I'm sure I'll be stuck for something haha

I need to figure out what parts I need to get, I want the bike to feel new (ish) I definitely need new handlebars and I'd like integrated brake and shift leavers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hoping to make a start on my own soon - did you hand sand it down or what did you use?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Hoping to make a start on my own soon - did you hand sand it down or what did you use?

I stripped most of it using a wire brush attachment for a drill and I hand sanded some other areas. One tip if your hand sanding put some duct tape on the back of the sand paper, it'll stop it tearing.

I had initially planned to clear coat over the bare steel frame but after another thread on here I discovered that wont keep the rust out... had I realised that I would have just scuffed the paint and put the new colour over it. I'm tempted not to bother going down to bare metal in the hard to reach places that are left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can also get fabric backed sandpaper which is much more robust. i buy it in 3m rolls.

Any advice for getting this bottom bracket off?

Brute force and ignorance isn't working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What tool are you using to remove it?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What tool are you using to remove it?

A bench vice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Any advice for getting this bottom bracket off?

Brute force and ignorance isn't working for me

Will neither side move? Is the drive side left hand threaded?

If it won't move with the right tool (or a bench vice) you may need to apply heat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

You’ll need something like the CRC tool or a spanner that won’t slip.

Then get a long pipe or length of box iron and slip it over the end of the spanner. I have a 20 ft length. You’ll be surprised how easily it will move with a long enough lever.

If you can, soak it in penetrating oil (not WD40) overnight beforehand.

Thanks I'll look into getting the right tool.

I soaked it in wd40 last night, I'll try get some proper penetrating oil.

The bottom bracket is pretty stiff so I think it'll need to be replaced anyway. Are these a standard enough size or will I have difficulty replacing it?

Thanks I'll look into getting the right tool.

I soaked it in wd40 last night, I'll try get some proper penetrating oil.

The bottom bracket is pretty stiff so I think it'll need to be replaced anyway. Are these a standard enough size or will I have difficulty replacing it?

If your handy with a drill and a hacksaw, and have a bit of steel bar lying around, you could make/bodge something similar to the tool i linked to earlier. (save a few quid)

A good adjustable spanner should be able to grip too, but if you're clamping the flats in a bench vice, and you can't rotate the frame around the BB, then I think you need heat.

I've no steel bar, I'll see can I get one cheap on amazon or even borrow one.

There's a small crack under the bottom bracket so I don't really want to heat it. I'll probably use something like jb weld to "fix" it

How were you using the bench vice to loosen it?

cletus wrote: »
    How were you using the bench vice to loosen it?

I held the frame on its side and tightened the flat spots into the vice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any progress on this?

any progress on this?

Nothing yet, I ended up ordering a bike on the cycle to work scheme so I'll continue this project but try to reuse as many of the original parts as possible rather than spend money upgrading.

I'm not sure what to do about the crack in the frame under the bottom bracket, I think its been there for years but I cant be sure

• Advertisement

just picked this up. paid 50 quid for it; a falcon, almost certainly a westminster. 531 frame; handlebars would have originally been drop bars, so a bit of a shame to not have the original brake levers and bars. drivetrain has been replaced too, but it'll keep me busy over the winter. frame needs to be stripped and repainted.

525228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^.

When I was going to school, There was a lad had a bike quite similar to that.
    We used to call the bike Ardnacrusha, because there were so many wires and cables on it.

Nothing yet, I ended up ordering a bike on the cycle to work scheme so I'll continue this project but try to reuse as many of the original parts as possible rather than spend money upgrading.

I'm not sure what to do about the crack in the frame under the bottom bracket, I think its been there for years but I cant be sure

Do you know anyone that's handy at Tig welding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Post a photo of it.

Many old steel frames had slots in them so the bb shell doesn’t need to be leak tight.

You can stop cracks from getting worse by drilling holes at each end.

anyone who's stripped a bike - what sort of grit sandpaper did you start at, and what did you finish at? i need to order some anyway for other purposes so will buy extra for the bike.

anyone who's stripped a bike - what sort of grit sandpaper did you start at, and what did you finish at? i need to order some anyway for other purposes so will buy extra for the bike.

If you can't get it sandblasted (by far the easiest option), then start with 60/80 grit, up to 220 grit, and depending on the finish you want and the condition of the frame, you could go as far as 320

Paint stripper for the small detail areas

yeah, there's a panelbeater i've thrown some business at before, who'd have the gear for both the sandblasting and spraying, so may see what he quotes.

Curious to know if the lights work on it still mb?

You could probable sell the rack on handy enough for a few quid if you had no use for it too.

looks like there was a dynamo on the back wheel but the cables running back to it end at the seat tube. it's got a good chunky bell on it though.
    the rack is a lidl or aldi job by the looks of it.
    not pictured were the old pannier bags on it - made of leather, a satchel type design. my wife is going to try to restore the leather on them. they can be seen on the original ad:

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/antique-mens-bike/21376370

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Very nice. Picked up winter project myself. Raleigh, think its a superb from the 50's or 60's. Haven't dived into it fully yet. Tyres and tubes still hold air after 30 years of non use. Not sure how far I'll go with it, a good service anyway and enjoy it a bit as is. Maybe move it on for someone to do a full resto once I've had my fun.

525257.jpg

Advertisement