Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R Kings and other car raffles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sc86 wrote: »
    Id say your best ring the raffle police and ask them if you so worried.

With the large number of posters on boards I'd say I have a better chance of finding someone who understands it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sc86

tuxy wrote: »
    With the large number of posters on boards I'd say I have a better chance of finding someone who understands it on here.

I would doubt that going by some of the replies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

sc86 wrote: »
    The country is in the grip of a pandemic and there is lads on here salty over a legit company making a few pound from a very simple idea.

I love ireland , and i love our culture etc , but the begrudgery in our nature is our worst aspect, reading the replies here is jaw dropping , and in some cases quiet sad.

They raffle a good standard of car , they wont buy rubbish and there is genuine winners , nobody is forced to enter.
    If a guy wins a 20k car for 20 quid , good for him , if the guy who raffles it makes a few quid , good for him also.

A lot of what I saw in this thread was skepticism. "If it's too good to be true..."

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

The guy who runs it lives just outside Bessbrook, he runs it as a sideline to his kitchen business which is understandably quiet at the moment so he's keeping himself ticking over with running competitions. Prizes, winners, etc are all genuine and not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lofidelity

Why? They don't do a thing to the cars except buy them?

Maybe so, they give the punters what they want. And thats tints and alloys.

Im not knocking them btw, i admire business people that think outside the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A lot of what I saw in this thread was skepticism. "If it's too good to be true..."

It's real. You can genuinely win a car for 20 euros, you'll be up against 799 other people but you can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Maybe so, they give the punters what they want. And thats tints and alloys.

Im not knocking them btw, i admire business people that think outside the box.

You're trying to portray it as below you though so in a way you are knocking it.

By in large I don't enter competitions or raffles but yet I still haven't developed such a superiority complex that I write off f10 M5's, c63 amg's, Tommi Makinen evo's etc. as "tints and alloys."

If you're above those sort of cars then I can only assume your name begins with Sheikh...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's real. You can genuinely win a car for 20 euros, you'll be up against 799 other people but you can win.

Yeah, but it's easy to see why people would be apprenhensive. I did the same as others when I saw it come up in facebook feeds. Followed the breadcrumbs of winners tagged, and can see there is indeed a genuine prize given. There's no harm in asking about it. Which I figured the thread covered for the most part. It's just a bit odd seeing the "begrudgery" comment, when everyone was just talking about the legitimacy of business setup itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lofidelity

You're trying to portray it as below you though so in a way you are knocking it.

By in large I don't enter competitions or raffles but yet I still haven't developed such a superiority complex that I write off f10 M5's, c63 amg's, Tommi Makinen evo's etc. as "tints and alloys."

If you're above those sort of cars then I can only assume your name begins with Sheikh...

Maybe they have proper performance cars sometimes but not today. Two cars available this morning, an E350 and an A3 1.6se, both of them....you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

The mechanics of this look the same to me as what BOTB do. I've seen them operate in Ireland and UK, so looks at first glance, like it's a legal way to run a business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very much legit. Buddy picked up his beemer the lucky sod!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

yop wrote: »
    Very much legit. Buddy picked up his beemer the lucky sod!

No one doubts that people are winning cars. The question is it a legal raffle and so far everything posted says it isn't, that means that there can be tax implications for the "winners".

Del2005 wrote: »
    No one doubts that people are winning cars. The question is it a legal raffle and so far everything posted says it isn't, that means that there can be tax implications for the "winners".

Exactly. It looks illegal if you read the legislation. But my understanding of it could be completely wrong.
    Normally things like this are easy to research but I honestly can't find a definite answer and it would seem I'm not the only one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They seem to be using the multiple choice question on the entry as a way around it. I read it some where that that question covers a loop hole.

yop wrote: »
    They seem to be using the multiple choice question on the entry as a way around it. I read it some where that that question covers a loop hole.
    The law changed a long time ago in Britain where they changed it by law from a game of skill to a game of substantial degree of skill. This did not cover NI but in 2013 the law was updated in NI and now it too requires a game of substantial degree of skill.

An example of one of the questions is "What do you use to eat soup? Knife,Fork or Spoon.

Would answering that require a substantial degree of skill?
    And I don't mean that sarcastically because they could be covered if legally that was something that required a substantial degree of skill.

An example of one of the questions is "What do you use to eat soup? Knife,Fork or Spoon.

Would answering that require a substantial degree of skill?
    And I don't mean that sarcastically because they could be covered if legally that was something that required a substantial degree of skill.

Or what if you just prefer your soup with a fork? Do you get disqualified for that?

Or what if you just prefer your soup with a fork? Do you get disqualified for that?

I think it may have been worded as , what do most people normally eat soup with.
    So that angle is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

There's a beautiful M4 on it right now.

I think it may have been worded as , what do most people normally eat soup with.
    So that angle is covered.

I dont know man. Would you consider it eating? I always hear it as more so, having soup, becuase no one knows if you can say you're eating it or drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I dont know man. Would you consider it eating? I always hear it as more so, having soup, becuase no one knows if you can say you're eating it or drinking it.
    I heard your people took the soup. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Warriors4

Wasn’t the question

Warriors4 wrote: »
    Wasn’t the question

As soon as it was was established that people do in fact win cars(first page) then that became the next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can someone tell me that if I did win one of the cars up north, would I be able to insure a NI car under my name in Ireland under a RoI insurer, so that I could drive it into Ireland to be VRT'ed?
    Exactly. It looks illegal if you read the legislation.
    Could you link to said legislation? Someone linked to something that applied to england earlier in the thread. Didn't see anything about NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scubasteve182

Exactly. It looks illegal if you read the legislation. But my understanding of it could be completely wrong.
    Normally things like this are easy to research but I honestly can't find a definite answer and it would seem I'm not the only one.

How would someone have to pay tax if they paid to take part? Surely this is no different than a win on the Irish lotto which isn't taxable

the_syco wrote: »
    Can someone tell me that if I did win one of the cars up north, would I be able to insure a NI car under my name in Ireland under a RoI insurer, so that I could drive it into Ireland to be VRT'ed?

Could you link to said legislation? Someone linked to something that applied to england earlier in the thread. Didn't see anything about NI.

If you search you can find this law quoted in many different places

https://marketinglaw.osborneclarke.com/marketing-techniques/northern-ireland-finally-allows-purchase-to-enter-prize-draws/
    Prize draws in Northern Ireland

Under the Order, it is unlawful to conduct in Northern Ireland any competition which offers prizes, where success does not depend to a
    substantial degree on the exercise of skill. The effect of the Order is also that pure chance prize draws (as opposed to competitions where some effort or skill is needed to win) will only be legal if they are free to enter or provide a genuine alternative free entry route.

Current question is

What would you most commonly drink tea from?

Cup, bottle or glass.

I personally wouldn't consider answering that to be a substantial degree on the exercise of skill

Open to a different take on this, I fully accept that I am misunderstanding it.
    It's just I can't find anyone that has a clear answer.

How would someone have to pay tax if they paid to take part? Surely this is no different than a win on the Irish lotto which isn't taxable

It would seem(again open to correction) this is not a legal lottery or raffle.
    So all prises are actually gifts that people would have to pay 33% tax on.

The Irish lotto has a licence to operate. It's not easy to get a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Legit, also fair play to the guy who started it I'd say he's making a pretty penny

the_syco wrote: »

Some insurers will insure a uk or Ni registered car for 30Days (the time revenue gives to Vrt it)
    I quoted a piece of NI legislation I found on google earlier in the thread

As soon as it was was established that people do in fact win cars(first page) then that became the next question.

The question asked was, is this page real or a scam?
    He quoted a Poster who answered the OP’s question to basically tell him that wether it was real or not wasn’t the question asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s to stop an employer charging and employee a 5er to entering a competition to win his salary. And he then wins his salary. Do you think he could avoid paying tax on his salary.

This is effectively the same thing

Advertisement