Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barrymore: The body in the pool

• 08-02-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this Thursday night on channel 4? It's up on the All4 app for anyone that missed it.

Michael Barrymore was a high profile comedian/presenter in England during the 80s/90s. Can't say I knew too much about him or this case.

Basically a late night party at his house involving drugs and alcohol and someone drowns in the swimming pool. Looks like a tragic accident but the investigation reveals that he may have been raped beforehand. No one has ever been charged to this day. There was 8 other people in the house at the time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I remember it killing his tv career instantly. I saw him on Dancing on Ice recently.
    Probably thinks that enough time has passed now to get back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Michael Barrymore was a high profile comedian/presenter in England during the 80s/90s. Can't say I knew too much about him or this case.

I'm really showing my age then. That scandal to me is like yesterday.

He was a massive household name, way bigger than Ant n Dec, Simon Cowell etc - Saturday night TV and massively popular. Married but gay and could not cope ( you 'd not come out then).

If you were to write a how guide to self destruct, then this is casebook.

All before Facebook, Social Media.

Very damaged character- but very compelling.

I feel for the Lubbock family, the Dad has been campaigning for justice for many years and I hope the truth will out before he passes on.

I'm not sure Barrymore is involved in the death, but definitely self preservation is evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

It looks like a huge cover up that probably involved the police.. that mans family will probably never get justice. Barrymore didn’t come across good at all.
    By all accounts that poor man had a terrible death.

As I said above, I remember it all playing out, but seeing it all put together shows it in a new light. Barrymore is pathetic.

Just watched the program there now on All4 and I was in tears at the ending with Terry Lubbock in his suit visiting the grave. What an amazing man he is.

The Lubbock family coming up against the power of Michael Barrymore's money and keeping the fight for justice shows their courage.

The Police at the scene fcked up (again probably blinded by Barrymore's star) and then probably tried to cover up their own fck ups till they couldn't anymore. They know exactly who did it. Stuart didn't drown either.

It came across as obvious who the two guilty people are. On the third, I am not sure of being guilty of the act, but guilty for so much more. I cant actually believe Barrymore tried to blame the hospItal. And how he used the meeting with the Dad for his own gains.

The News of The World Guy who knocked at Mrs. Lubbock's door was a disgusting individual. The program shows how manipulative the press / media are.

I don't think this is over yet. There are too many guilty consciences out there. I hope it comes in time for the Lubbock family.

A tough watch and so desperately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

The "They walk among us" true crime podcast has a very good 3 part podcast about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Wow, I hadn't heard of this one but definitely have the Channel 4 show on my watch list now!

From a quick google it looks like some new evidence has come to light this year. Very interesting above that it is noted that Barrymore was bigger than the likes of Ant & Dec, makes you wonder what would happen if this were to happen now and how the changing nature of celebrity and the impact of social media would play into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

50 year old charged with murder,hopefully the family will get the justice they have been seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

dublin49 wrote: »
    50 year old charged with murder,hopefully the family will get the justice they have been seeking

Arrested, Not charged I believe. Police being very careful, even releasing Age (50) of suspect, Barrymore (68)

Seems extraordinary that with only 8 in attendance at this event, DNA evidence has not yeilded anything, it was an horrific assault and death and I just hope some justice can be found for the victims family.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Saw this just now. Police said previously it would be too much guilt for to carry and one person would crack out of the group cover up. Hope this is the case.

It would be great for Stuart Lubbocks Dad to get the justice he has fought so long for before he passes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

I see Barrymore sued the police for wrongful arrest on this case.Revenge served cold comes to mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement