Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

18-year-old winger Louis Rees-Zammit is one of five uncapped players in Wayne Pivac’s Wales Squad
    & Rhys Webb is back
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/01/15/rees-zammit-called-up-by-pivac-as-wales-plot-title-defence/

Stuart Hogg new Scot captain
    There are six uncapped players included - four in the forwards and two in the backs
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/01/15/hogg-captains-scotland-squad-including-six-uncapped-players/

Hogg is still only 27!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Out of the 5 uncapped players for Wales, 4 are playing in England. I'd imagine they'll be prime targets for the regions the next time their contract's are up

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

18-year-old winger Louis Rees-Zammit is one of five uncapped players in Wayne Pivac’s Wales Squad
    & Rhys Webb is back
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/01/15/rees-zammit-called-up-by-pivac-as-wales-plot-title-defence/
    !

no Taine Basham ????

hes been ripping up trees in the pro14 and one of the stars of dragons resurgence this year.
    probably suffers from the "not big enough for test rugby" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no Taine Basham ????

hes been ripping up trees in the pro14 and one of the stars of dragons resurgence this year.
    probably suffers from the "not big enough for test rugby" mentality.

Ludicrous, has been playing at a very high level for 2 years now... He's 20!!!

& i believe Eddie Jones was sniffing around Rees-Zammit!

Will he be the next George North or Tom Prydie?

North reached 50 caps at 22!!

• Advertisement

Franco Smith names three uncapped players in Italy’s 35-man squad
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/01/13/recalls-and-new-faces-in-italy-squad/

No Mention of new captain.
    And Parisse is still planning a retirement party
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51107836

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can't say I'd be wild about Parisse's plans if I was the Italy coach. "I'm not available ... except for the one game I want to play".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Stuart Hogg has been appointed as Scotland's new captain. Takes over from Stuart McInally.

That Parisse situation is mental. Not included in the squad, but is expecting to swan in for the second last or last game.

The Scotland game is probably the only game they'll be close to winning, if I was the Italian coach I'd be trying to keep him as far away from the squad as possible in the lead up for it.

The England game may be a complete blow away depending on how the two go so fair enough if he wants to get a token cap for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd have a certain amount of sympathy for Parisse, given the way he was robbed of his farewell vs NZ at the RWC due to Hagibis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A big farewell isn't exactly a neccesity, especially if you plan it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Shouldn't be any room for that sort of sentimentality in professional sport.

Great player but couldn't shake the feeling the last couple of years he was in the way of the younger players establishing their own voice within the group.

Billy Vunipola broken forearm again. Broken both over the last couple of years. Massive blow for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Billy Vunipola broken forearm again. Broken both over the last couple of years. Massive blow for England.

England are a very different team without him, it’s a very big blow to their grand slam chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Be interesting to see who they go with at 8. Both Hughes and Simmonds are in good form but out of favour. Dombrandt is a wild card choice for me, still very raw but hugely talented.

None of them are near the threat of Vunipola though. A backrow of Curry, Simmonds, and A.N. Other seems similarly unbalanced to the Ireland backrow of Stander, VDF, and POM that struggled during the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Eddie Jones has named his Six Nations squad. Dan Cole has been cut and Jack Nowell joins Billy Vunipola on the injured list.

Forwards
    Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 21 caps)
    Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 19 caps)
    Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
    Ben Earl (Saracens, uncapped)
    Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
    Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 14 caps)
    Jamie George (Saracens, 45 caps)
    Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
    Maro Itoje (Saracens, 34 caps)
    George Kruis (Saracens, 41 caps)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 62 caps)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 81 caps)
    Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
    Joe Marler (Harlequins, 68 caps)
    Alex Moon (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
    Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 31 caps)
    Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
    Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 58 caps)
    Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)

Backs
    Elliot Daly (Saracens, 39 caps)
    Ollie Devoto (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap)
    Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens, 79 caps)
    George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 65 caps)
    George Furbank (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
    Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 9 caps)
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 47 caps)
    Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
    Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
    Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 40 caps)
    Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 42 caps)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 95 caps)

Apprentice players
    Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
    Josh Hodge (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

No Hughes, Simmonds OR Dombrandt who I thought would be the 3 possible replacements for Billy V

Umaga?
    Any relation?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bazzo wrote: »
    No Hughes, Simmonds OR Dombrandt who I thought would be the 3 possible replacements for Billy V

Hughes is no good. Way too soft.

Borthwick on the move at the end of 6N

After Proudfoot appointment no surprise.

https://www.the42.ie/steve-borthwick-england-leicester-4972246-Jan2020/

• Advertisement

Youngs and Heinz as their two scrumhalves, Umaga over the likes of Smith or Sheedy, Dombrant and Simmons left out too with no real 8 (assuming Earls is going to play there).

Some really questionable stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

In fairness the Vunipola injury has knocked them for 6, given it has happened on the eve of the squad selection

Youngs had a very good world cup semi and is experienced, so until someone else comes along he'll be picked

I still think they'll have too much nous for an inexperienced France first up, but I think it could be their toughest game. They then have a re-building wales and Ireland with new coaches to come at home as their only real barriers to the Grand Slam

Still think they'll get it done, but if France do upset them in Paris I could very well see a French slam

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Umaga?
    Any relation?

yes, nephew

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Umaga?
    Any relation?

Yep, nephew.

awec wrote: »

He's had a bit of a resurgence since moving to Bristol, quite a few outstanding performances for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

awec wrote: »

this has been Hughes best ever season, and he was phenomenal before his international debut.

no natural 8 in that entire squad. would they risk going without a natural ball carrier in the backrow and leave that to Mako V, Itoje, and Lawes? seems risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is it a coincidence that his best ever season is when hes only playing in the Premiership? Has always looked below par at European and International level

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whenever I hear Nathan Hughes my first thought is always when Faf de Klerk drove him back about 10 metres in a tackle.

He's not up to it at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I say it every year, but it would be nice if France could be competitive for a change. An annual tri-nations between England, Ireland and Wales, with the rest making up the numbers is just not quite as interesting. A win in Paris vs the English would be a good start.

• Advertisement

Advertisement