Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Marie Anointte there.

Seen it years ago in cinema.

Good film for those of you who like your Period Films/Drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Top Boy: Summerhouse (2011) Series2 - In this gritty, stylish drama series, two London drug dealers ply their lucrative trade at a public housing estate in North London

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's worth a watch but it did drag a lot far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If new season of top boy is out then that’s next for me. Excellent series better than peaky blinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Caquas

Don’t waste your time on “Hollywood” .

We thought it would be a fun bit of nostalgia for the heyday of the Big Studios. The first five minutes were promising - handsome guy, straight out of the Army, trying his luck as an extra. Takes a seedy turn when he starts “servicing” customers at a gas station. The next half hour is a jumble of plot holes, risible dialogue and non-sequiturs. I was even willing to suspend my disbelief about ordinary characters in the 1950s with Millennial values about race and sexuality.

How do they spends millions on glossy productions for a script full of holes? I just wanted light entertainment but who can enjoy this insult to normal intelligence.

• Advertisement

Top Boy new season not out till March 18th. Vikings next so. Original Vikings was great and fairly consistent throughout each season, maybe dropped a bit after Ragnar left but came back great again for final few seasons. Ended great unlike GOT. However this new Vikings on Netflix looks a bit too flashy and Hollywood to be anything close to original.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Have watched half of the new documentary about the Madrid train bombings and it struck me that although I remember it happening and the pictures of the train carriages blown up, which unlike 9/11, 7/7, or even the Paris terror attacks in 2015, it’s not one that sticks with me but it should given the scale of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

The beginning was pure class: really suspenseful, waiting to see if she can escape. But the rest of the film was not so good I’m afraid. Talking about the invisible man.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Don't Look Up tonight and I think it's one of those films that just lands completely differently now than it would have done pre Covid. I know it's not about Covid, but it takes any kind of sting out of the satire when we've just seen Americans do this exact thing for the last 2 years. I'm not saying it would have been 5 stars and Oscar worthy if it came out 2 years ago, but I do think it would have gotten a slightly different reaction. I did enjoy the one joke about the guy charging for snacks at the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

The Witcher is class, both series, I'm a huge fan. Halfway through Vikings and really enjoying it as well but not as much as the Witcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is the Witcher based off a computer game? Do you need to know anything about that if so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Technically, no they're not video games. It's a long running series of books originating from Poland. A video game rammed the series into mainstream consciousness - and the eventual Netflix show - but those have been fairly faithful to those novels AFAIK. The author was fairly 🤷 about some random Polish devs adapting his work... until sales of the novels abroad exploded lol.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finished S1 of Locke & Key, and the last 3 episodes reinforced my decision that I won't be watching any more of it. I don't mind a liberal adaptation of the comic, but there's a potent bang of CW-level drama to most of the characters which rankles - although Bode, the youngest child, is well-cast and the best stuff tends to be around his parts of the story.

2 episode into Vikings Valhalla and it’s what I was expecting. A big letdown compared to the HBO series, characters are unlikeable, it’s too slick to be anyway authentic, no real violence yet and what there has been has been soft. Am sure it will improve. Original series had so many legendary characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Threw on Starsky & Hutch the other night was was surprised to see Vince Vaughn's dorky henchman was none other than Marty Byrde. He even acts like Marty Byrde albeit a much stupider version of him. . Enjoyable comedy from Todd Philips. The coffee and coke scene is still gold!

Chappelle's Home Team - Earthquake: Legendary (2022) - Earthquake shakes up the stage with his takes on "health is wealth," prostate exams and one particularly lengthy celebrity funeral.

My Wonderful Life (2022) (Polish) - An unhappily married woman fights to keep her multigenerational family together as she tries to stop an anonymous blackmailer from exposing her secret..

The Humans (2021) - A fractured family's tense Thanksgiving gathering in a rundown and creepy Manhattan apartment leads to existential dread and haunting revelations.

Spider in the Web (2019) - A Mossad spy makes a last-ditch bid to redeem his career by uncovering a chemical weapons scheme as his boss sends a younger agent to accompany him.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 21 poppysee

One Of Us Is Lying - Based on Karen M. McManus' New York Times best-selling novel of the same name. Mystery surrounds Bayview High when five students walk into detention and only four walk out alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wouldn't bother with the highly rated 45 Years.

It's about an ageing couple that are about to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary but the husband gets news regarding his first love from a long time ago.

This was an absolute snore fest and I've no idea why I watched the whole bloody thing.

Just binge watched Bonfire of Destiny.

Based on fire that broke out in 1870s I think it was in big charity event in Paris with over 100 people dying and what happens to some of survivors.

Really good, I enjoyed it.

Netflix sending me all notifications now for period dramas which is great because I've watched all main ones but would never have found this one.

Worst roommate has the potential to be good . Looking forward to getting a glimpse tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I like good classical drama! Sounds intriguing. May try .

I watched this whenever it came out, last year? 5 years ago? Time is meaningless these days. Anyway.... I enjoyed it. Not sure why the Brits have such a reputation for period Dramas when the French and Spanish are just as good, if not better.

Worst Roommate Ever (2022) - Violent con artists. Stone-cold killers. These terrifying true stories unveil some of the worst cohabitation experiences one could ever imagine.

Spider-Man 2 (2004) – Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire reunite for this ambitious sequel that thinks bigger but has the smarts to keep things small.

The Master (2012) – Paul Thomas Anderson’s drama about a veteran taken in by a religious movement is a fascinating tale fuelled by intense performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Her (2013) – A deep and moving dissection of the machinery that makes humans tick.

The Guardians of Justice: Season 1 (2022) - When their seemingly fearless leader self-destructs, a team of troubled superheroes must confront festering evil in the world -- and in themselves....

Alive (1993) - After their plane crashes in the Andes mountains, the surviving members of a Uruguayan rugby team struggle to stay alive on a barren glacier.

United (2011) - After a plane crash claims the lives of eight young players, the Manchester United football squad and its grieving community struggle to move on

Cujo (1983) - Adapted from Stephen King's best-selling novel, this 1983 horror flick chronicles a chilling tale of man's best friend turned satanic killer.

Three Days of the Condor (1975)

Save the Last Dance (2001)

Hell on the Border (2019) - In the late 1800s, legendary marshal Bass Reeves sets out on the trail of notorious outlaw Bob Dozier.

Hitler’s Secret Sex Life: Season 1 (2021) - Experts discuss how Adolf Hitler's congenital defects, illnesses and addictions may have affected his behaviors both public and private....

Three Identical Strangers (2018) - When three teenagers meet by chance and discover they're identical triplets separated at birth, they're delighted -- until their true story emerges

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain (1995) - An English cartographer upsets an entire Welsh community when he measures the town's peak and declares it 16 feet shy of mountain status.

Patriots Day (2016)

Meet the Fockers (2004)

The Great Raid (2005)

The Expendables (2010)

The Expendables 2 (2012)

The Expendables 3 (2014)

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

Bridget Jones's Baby (2016)

Paul (2011)

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Three Identical Strangers (2018) - When three teenagers meet by chance and discover they're identical triplets separated at birth, they're delighted -- until their true story emerges

I watched this before and it took a couple of twists that I wasn't expecting. I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Restless (Sans respit) (2022) After going to extremes to cover up an accident, a corrupt cop's life spirals out of control when he starts receiving threats from a mysterious witness. In French with subtitles.

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is awful trash...

I have watched four of them...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

i finished it.....like its watchable but ive filed it alongside with a lot of other crap ive watched!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I finished it also - the first few eps were interesting and I thought it might be decent but it went downhill fast. Some of the decisions the main characters made were ridiculous

Addy finally gets her hands on the evidence from the killers house to crack the case and then decides to try and escape on her bicycle with the killer chasing in his sports car. It turns into a comedy in the last few episodes.

Is there any others you would recommend on Netflix?

Watching The Gilded Age on Now which I'm really enjoying aswell.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed La Révolution, although it's kind of a genre period piece than straight period piece. I'm not sure if it's still on Netflix but Grand Hotel was good too, kind of like a Spanish Downtown, but more fun. I know a lot of people enjoyed Velvet too.

Advertisement