Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Continue to black belt

• 10-06-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I did Kenpo karate in the 90s and I got as far as Green belt.
    I was very young when I did it but I want to continue on to a black belt now if possible. Can I continue from my current green belt or do I have to start from scratch again? I achieved my green belt in 94'...... Yes many years ago.
    I have all my certification to prove I have a green belt.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most martial arts operate on the principle that a rank is for life. So you are probably technically still a green belt.
    However, if you have forgotten a lot over the last 20+ years then it's a bit disingenuous representing a green belt - as you aren't really ready for to work towards the next belt (Brown?).
    Could pass the green belt test tomorrow, techniques, katas etc?
    Ultimately it's up to your instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mellor wrote: »
    Ultimately it's up to your instructor

This ^^.

We've had guys (Judo) come to us who advanced to whatever belt twenty years or more back, and tbh they're usually very rusty and unless they were a black belt they're usually on a white again for awhile, but they advance very fast from white to their last recorded grade within the club.

I'd never ask or expect a black belt to go back to white in the same style/art but they'd have to be very honest with the club or risk injury from someone who doesn't know they're rusty.

So, go back but don't be surprised if you're asked to wear a white belt again esp if you graded to green as a junior.

Don't get too wrapped up in the belt color, they really are just holding your jacket closed!.

I coach a Judo/BJJ group in work and you wear whatever color belt you are in either style and we don't stand on ceremony.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

First of all are you going back to your original instructor? If not are you going back to an instructor in the organisation named on the grading certificate.

Secondly do you have the conpetance signified by the belt you wear. We operate on a if you come in wearing a belt you will be expected to perform at that level of conpetancy. If you cannot its your fault if you get hurt. Usually relevant at more senior ends of the line but still applies to you.

We would also have people wear a white belt and advance to their old belt level without a formal grading. Just a your training well wear your belt nod of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sputnik102

It is my understanding that depending on the class in Kenpo your belt represents different things as in there's a 16, 24 and 32 belt syllabus's so if you were training on a 16 belt syllabus before and got to green but then started back at a class where they train by 24 your green belt is only worth their blue tip! My advice would be go to whatever club and have them reassess your level and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I went back to ITF TKD after a break of 12 years.
    Spoke with my new instructor and he told me I kept my grade (Blue belt red tag)
    I just wore a white belt until everything came back to me and I felt comfortable wearing the belt again.
    Up to black tag now

• Advertisement
Advertisement