Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've got the 3 Witcher games on my PC. I'm guessing that these are games I really need to start playing at some point.

Apparently the first two have aged alot, the original apparently being borderline unplayable in that sense nowadays. Just what I've read.

I've only played the third and it's the best game I've ever put my hands on, before that you'd have to go all the way back to Mario 64 for what was top of my list for about 20 years.

• Jaysus the protagonists voice is awful

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

First Witcher has aged a fair bit alright but I still enjoyed it when I played through it (that was 4 years ago though). I'd still recommend the second game to anyone though, hasn't aged badly at all and is a great precursor to the third game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2nd is worth playing for sure. The 1st is very rough around the edges, plus the Hellhound boss around an hour in is an absolute bastard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jaysus the protagonists voice is awful

They said you'll be able to create your own character. So there might be a choice of genders or with it being the future and all, you might have voice implants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Decent article here from Eurogamer, regarding William Gibson's (and many others') comments about the GTA-ness of the trailer, and how that's a) likely intentional, and b) not a bad thing.

• Being compared to the biggest selling game of all time surely isn't a bad thing

Depends on the context obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Billy86 wrote: »
    Apparently the first two have aged alot, the original apparently being borderline unplayable in that sense nowadays. Just what I've read.

I've only played the third and it's the best game I've ever put my hands on, before that you'd have to go all the way back to Mario 64 for what was top of my list for about 20 years.

First one doesn't support the Xbox 360 controller apparently. Will give it a go anyway.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it was built specifically for K&M and even the 2nd game they had to bodge it to work with a controller when they released it for XBox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The first two have 'aged badly' because they were not an AAA developer, the first was a budget game and Witcher 2 was expanded but still done within pretty heavy restrictions....Witcher 3 was the first game they had the resources to really realise their vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

1st witcher is still the best in atmosphere and writing tbh. Combat isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be and the RPG aspects are on point, comparing it to 3 where combat is essentially a dance. 2 is the weakest link but that doesn't mean it's bad.

The series paints a positive picture for what we might get in Cyberpunk. I just hope it's not as simplified as W3 to appeal to a huge audience or dull any skill-based combat like precision aiming because of gamepad focus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure i'd agree with that. The combat in the first game was not good, and was improved upon in the following games. The writing in the sequels is far better as well. They are all very good games, just the first has aged very badly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

CDPR love paying hommage to other games and movies. I hope we get a Ciri easter egg, if not meeting her then some evidence that she was in NightCity

This has dampened my enthusiasm, but only by about 0.5%...

Spoilered, just in case...
    - CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
    - Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
    - You play a character named V (as in the letter).
    - V can be a man or a woman.
    - The stats you pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool.
    - These stats are all pulled from the original tabletop RPG.
    - There are no classes at the start. Instead, you evolve the class you want to be as you play instead of picking a role.
    - You can drive cars in the game, and seemingly toggle between first and third person during this.
    - While driving in first-person, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
    - CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
    -Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
    - It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
    - Completing a quest levels up your street cred.
    - The UI in the demo is extremely minimal at -- just a light compass and a small quest log.
    - UI expands during combat -- enemies have names, health bars, and what appear to be levels.
    - Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they're much higher level than you.
    - Damage numbers pop up during combat.
    - There's a bullet-time-like ability that allows you to slow down time.
    - CD Projekt keeps emphasizing that choices have consequences, in the moment and to the world at large.
    - Obstacles have several solutions depending on your skills. For example, V got to a door, but his hacking skill was too low. However, his engineering skill was high enough, so he could open a panel and bypass the door.
    - There's an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.
    - You use an inhaler to heal.
    - Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4

http://ie.ign.com//articles/2018/06/12/e3-2018-first-cyberpunk-2077-details-game-is-a-first-person-rpg-more
    Was hoping they'd stick with the third-person view. With the setting and hearing you can create your character, I was looking forward to all the cool cyberpunk outfits and gear but if it's first person, you won't see it. Well, 95% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^
    - CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
    I'm ok with this.
    - You play a character named V (as in the letter).
    I hope we can still heavily customise.
    - V can be a man or a woman.
    Don't think anyone doubted this.
    - The stats you pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool.
    Most of that sounds standard.
    - There are no classes at the start. Instead, you evolve the class you want to be as you play instead of picking a role.
    I actually really like this. Pre-selected class systems don't belong in most games tbh.
    - While driving in first-person, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
    Loving the sound of that.
    - CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
    Would expect nothing less.
    - It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
    Hopefully it won't become too gimicky.
    - The UI in the demo is extremely minimal at -- just a light compass and a small quest log.
    Just the way I like it. I modded Witcher 3 to have no HUD except in combat.
    - Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they're much higher level than you.
    I don't like this about a lot of RPGs. I think every combat situation should be winnable with skill. The higher the level the more skill needed but still possible.
    - Damage numbers pop up during combat.
    I like it. This supports the idea that it won't be too casualised. Hope there's a hotkey binding to turn on/off for when you know what kind of damage you do to certain enemies or in case it's not that complex, to clean the HUD.
    - There's a bullet-time-like ability that allows you to slow down time.
    Expected such things from augments.
    - CD Projekt keeps emphasizing that choices have consequences, in the moment and to the world at large.
    Have heard that before but if Witcher series is anything to go by then it's not Todd Howard-tier promises.
    - There's an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.
    Sweet. Zoom limits are often too low these days. Love me super closeups.
    - You use an inhaler to heal.
    Hmm, odd.
    - Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4
    Doom 1995 or Doom 2016? Because the difference there is like the speed of sound vs a pram.
    Was hoping they'd stick with the third-person view. With the setting and hearing you can create your character, I was looking forward to all the cool cyberpunk outfits and gear but if it's first person, you won't see it. Well, 95% of the time.
    Would be nice if 1st person view had player model. So you can see your body as you look down. Nice way to assess damage to your body or just admire your boots, boobs and matrix coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All that has actually increased my enthusiasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I've seen a few people freak out over this that it's gonna be an FPS shooter but I always pictured it like Deus Ex (which can be a shooter, but never the way I played). Don't worry lads, CDPR got this!...... Only thing I'm cautious about is the driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I've seen a few people freak out over this that it's gonna be an FPS shooter but I always pictured it like Deus Ex (which can be a shooter, but never the way I played). Don't worry lads, CDPR got this!...... Only thing I'm cautious about is the driving.

Well hey at least there's a reason now why your car is on the roof.

Nothing there has dampened my enthusiasm. In fact, it may have risen a little (from the trailer reveal).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All of that sounds brilliant IMO. Have to agree with Zero, I’m only more hyped now. Hoping to see gameplay footage next year if not a tiny bit sooner.

Looks like Maul Cosplay is already getting into the spirit of things.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1006627117919100928?s=19

A lot of that trailer reminded me of the brilliant Shadowrun on the. Want to play me some Cyberpunk style games now, went to have a look at Deus Ex HR since I got it free with ps+. Turns out I never added it to my library, the only time I haven't even though I was fully sure I did.

I have Dex, that indie game on psn as well that I only played a bit of.

Anyone recommend anything similar on PlayStation?

Jayd0g wrote: »

Guessing it'll be like Jensen in DE then. You'll see the character during takedowns, when talking to NPCs and possibly in cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Love this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

hyped for this for sure.

what i'm hoping for is a huge immersive open world city like GTA V but with much more depth; all sorts of factions, gangs, cops etc doing their own thing around the city. a bit of a sandbox but with a decent story and lore that you can dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

also not bothered at all about the first person side of it. we've had enough third person RPGs, i'm ready for something different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement