Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miami Dolphins Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Sad to see Jake go, but clearly the Fins coaching staff didn't see him as being the dominant force he once was or that he could reach that level again.

A little stunned also, as this was a guy many 2/3 years ago were saying was a future HOFer. Was the only thing glossing over the fact Parcell's made a mistake in not selecting Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Future HOF or not.......I don't think any team should ever use the #1 overall pick on a lineman......especially a team that hasn't had a solid starting QB in over a decade........

Tannehill is the first QB the fins drafted in the 1st round since Marino........they also haven't had a consistent starting QB since Marino......it isn't tough to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 danthedolphin

Been meaning to join up here for some for time. I grew up during the Marino era and that's when I became a fan and started following the team. So I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Phins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Been meaning to join up here for some for time. I grew up during the Marino era and that's when I became a fan and started following the team. So I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Phins.

Welcome. I'm also a Phins fan due to the Marino influence!

Really looking forward to this season. With all the crap, new faces and injury problems the Pats are having right now. I think it's our best chance in years to grab a division title, providing all our parts click into gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Really looking forward to this season. With all the crap, new faces and injury problems the Pats are having right now. I think it's our best chance in years to grab a division title, providing all our parts click into gear.

You not very concerned about going into the season with possibly the worst left tackle situation ?

Also welcome to forum I'm a jets fan ! Look forward to banter !

You not very concerned about going into the season with possibly the worst left tackle situation ?

Of course I am and I'm not convinced Jonathan Martin can switch from RT to LT. I don't care who we use or how we do it, but protecting Tannehill and allowing him to improve is the goal.

Also welcome to forum I'm a jets fan ! Look forward to banter !

LT is certainly a concern going into the season, but the buzz from OTA's is that Martin looks good and has gained 12/13 lbs in an effort to increase his strength and power. Martin has decent feet, so this should help him deal with more physical rushers.

Also Martin IMO improved as the season wore on last year. Actually looked more comfortable playing LT than he did at RT. With the experience he gained last season and all off-season to work on playing LT, I'm hoping he will be fine. The Dolphins aren't expecting Martin to be elite, so long as he holds up then they will be happy.

Also, welcome to the board danthedolphin!!!

TaosHum wrote: »
    LT is certainly a concern going into the season, but the buzz from OTA's is that Martin looks good and has gained 12/13 lbs in an effort to increase his strength and power.

That's good to hear.

Good and bad points in the game last night.......we know we still have a good backup QB.

Though I'm not a fan of the new uniforms.....look like the Jaguars

• Advertisement

Happy to get out of Cleveland with the W. Some of the things I got from the game.

Positives:
    - Defense was awesome in all phases of the game. I know the pass rush will get particular praise and deservedly so, but the secondary were stout also. I know they weren't really tested considering Weeden was getting very little time to throw, but they still held up and made some big plays with the INT's.
    - Tannehill I though played well after a shaky start. Fin's O-Line is not great and he was forced to take some sacks, but he was getting the ball out quick and decisive. Team will be happy with his performance.
    - Hartline I though was very good and caught everything thrown at him. Gave Buster Skrine a very though time and had a very productive day.
    - Where did that performance from Charles Clay come from? Was all but invisible in pre-season, but turns up Sunday with some nice catches. Maybe there is hope at TE after all. He certainly has the size and speed to be effective there.

Negatives:
    - Running game was dreadulf, but TBF that Cleveland rush defense is very good and most teams will struggle going up against them. But was expecting much more from LaMar Miller, who will be doing well to hold onto his starting spot next week.
    - I know people are making a big deal out of the fact Miami's big money signing Mike Wallace only had one catch, but you have to take into consideration that having him on the field freed up Hartline and Gibson. Certainly, he will have to have a much bigger role going forward, I was surprised they didn't try some WR screens to get him the ball, but as I said, just having him on the field made a big difference.
    - Team needs to be more clinical on turnovers and get some TD's instead of FG's.

Where are the dolphin's fans at......3rd time I've been to one of their games.....first time I got a win

Where are the dolphin's fans at......3rd time I've been to one of their games.....first time I got a win

Sounds awesome dude. Couldn't have asked a better game to go to!!!!

Really happy with the way this team is progressing. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see last night's win, but two road wins in a row is very encouraging to see. Also was good to see Mike Wallace get more of the ball.

If the Fins can make it 3-0 on Sunday, then considering how weak the East is at the moment, this Fins side will never have a better chance to win it,

Just a pity the Fins don't play the Pats until week 6 or so.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Sounds awesome dude. Couldn't have asked a better game to go to!!!!

Really happy with the way this team is progressing. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see last night's win, but two road wins in a row is very encouraging to see. Also was good to see Mike Wallace get more of the ball.

If the Fins can make it 3-0 on Sunday, then considering how weak the East is at the moment, this Fins side will never have a better chance to win it,

Just a pity the Fins don't play the Pats until week 6 or so.

I was a little disgusted last year when the came up just short against the Colts......I live in Cincinnati, so I get to their games when they play the Colts or Bengals.

Brought back down to earth with a bang last night. For me, that was a game to show how real this team was and sadly the Fins got taught a few lessons.

Not going to take anything away from the Saints, they were the better team and exploited some of Miami's weakness' in defense. With so many weapons, Miami just don't have the strength in depth to cover them all, which is why Sproles ran riot in the first half.

The offense I think will be disappointed with some of their play, as poor playcalling, execution and moral killing turnovers were avoidable. With under two left in the first half, Miami were driving with an opportunity to take the lead into the half with a TD. On first and ten, Hartline throws a ball intended for Hartline on a short slant route, which was picked off by Greer and the Saints eventually went on to score a TD. Its things like that that change games.

What is really worrying is the performances of Mike Wallace. If he continues to perform as he has done, his expected stats after 16 games will be something like 60 receptions for 700 yards and 4 TD's. Considering Miami decided to vastly overpay for him, this simply not good enough for a supposed number 1 receiver. Serious work will have to be done in order to start making him produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

To be honest I wasn't entirely surprised with the defeat in the Superdome. There will be better team than the Dolphins beat there this year.

Sunday evening's game is much more important. We need to start making Sunlife a proper homefield again. If we can open the season beating the Ravens and Falcons in Miami then we've gone a long way to making it a place that teams don't want to come.

As far as the offense goes the most important thing regardless of receivers is the offensive line. The right side of the line at present has been poor. Tannehill's on pace to take 72 sacks this season I think I read recently! That really needs to be sorted out. If he can't get time in the pocket then Wallace isn't going to get the ball. If Wallace can have one big game then it will really open the offense up for Tannehill because teams will start to need to give him more respect.

The return of Wake will be a big boost while Patterson's been out from the opening game when he got two interceptions. If we can get him on the field the secondary might tighten up a little.

If you'd offered me 3-1 going into this weekend I'd have taken your hand off

Tough loss that. Game was there but just couldn't execute at the vital time. Some points from it:

- Not too many words bad enough to describe how awful the O-Line was today. An absolute mess all season and pretty much cost the Fins today. Worst Tackle tandem I have seen in quite a while. Going to be a long season for RT unless things drastically improve.
    - Speaking of RT, I thought he was immense today. Made some huge throws and continued to ball even though the O-Line was imploding, receivers were dropping balls and the run game non-existent. He has such a bright future if he can survive this season.
    - Run game again not there, even more so than usual. Philbin had given up on it during the second quarter which says alot. Blocking needs to improve also.
    - Although Mike Wallace had a better game statistically, I thought he was average enough again. Dropped far too many balls and not working hard enough to beat his man to the ball.
    - Was nice to see Charles Clay come up with some big catches, including the back shoulder TD, although he did have a bad drop. Think he could be worked more into the passing game.
    - Hard to but much blame on the defense on this one. Missing key players in Wake and Patterson. Ellerbe then went out in the 2nd quarter and Carroll in the 3rd. Even with this I still think they held up well. Great to see Dion Jordan make a big play on the pick 6.

All in all, 3-2 after 5 games, 4 of which against quality opposition is better than I was expecting. But think we will have to go at least 4-2 against AFC East opponents if we want to make the post season.

That was cruel.

With the amount of high draft picks we've used on the offensive line over the last couple of years that performance tonight was shocking. They can't pass block and they certainly can't run block. No matter about dropped catches and there were a few Tannehill shouldn't be asked to throw 40 times with only 11 runs.

In fairness to RT he did well under the pressure he was under but he'd next to no time in the pocket.

The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Bills up next. Must win game. If we go 3-3 we could well go 3-13 (I may be over reacting a little but that was a sickener)

Frustrating loss, but again this is on the offensive. Tannehill has so much potential, but his pocket awareness still needs development. That strip sack and other sacks are down to not getting the ball out quick enough and with a very ordinary Tackle combination, he simply can't afford to hold on too long. Again, the Tackle's are getting beat easier the game goes on. Clabo got owned in the 4th by Williams, when he was doing decent enough for the other three.

Simply put, we are 3-3 and that's probably Miami's level. Still alot of work to do especially on the offense, but there are positives. Credit to the Bills, they are playing well with a 3rd string QB, but these are the games Miami had to be winning if they wanted a playoff berth.

Still trying to get my head around last nights defeat. Firstly, Fins got absolutely robbed on a number of big calls and that's without even getting into the batted pass from Vernon, which could have easily been a no-call.

But even without the one sided officiating, Miami's mental weakness was evident for all to see. Once Sturgis missed that FG and the Pats scored a few moment later, the heads went down and the writing was on the wall. No leaders on offense and the inability of the coaches to respond to the changes made by the Pats at the half, meant their was little response.

The frustrating thing about the loss is Miami in the first half, played better than I have seen them this year. The running game was moving, the O-line looked more assured with McKinnie at LT, Tannehill was taking care of the ball and the defense was dominant. But, as stated, Miami got out-coached in the second and that was the beginning of Miami's downfall.

Next up the Bengals, who are coming off a dominating defeat of the Jets. I don't give Miami much hope, but if they can play like they did in the first for the full 60, then they will certainly put it up to the Bengals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Colohall

Hi lads. Another long suffering fan here, and another who was drawn in by the talents of Dan Marino (although I have to admit that my all-time favourite Dolphin is Zach Thomas)

Colohall wrote: »
    Hi lads. Another long suffering fan here, and another who was drawn in by the talents of Dan Marino (although I have to admit that my all-time favourite Dolphin is Zach Thomas)

Welcome to the forum!!!

Long suffering is right. And after a nice start to the season, things seem to be unraveling fast. Have now lost Martin to some form of mental breakdown and reports coming out that the locker room is a shambles.

Oh well, guess we will be suffering for another while!!!

The first Dolphin's game I watched was Marino's last.... Maybe I'm the problem.

We could well have been 6-1. The nature of those last three loses where gutting

Fantastic (although odd) victory in the end.....but have to be concerned about blowing 17-3 leads in back to back games.

It will make work a little more bearable tomorrow.....today was rough being a known Dolphins fan working in Cincinnati.

Delighted with that win. Wasn't the greatest performance ever, and still leaves a lot to work on, but they showed a mental toughness and belief that had been missing since the trip to New Orleans. Hopefully this will be a confidence builder and with a much more lenient schedule coming up we can put a good run of wins together

Defense won that game last night. Which is very commendable considering the Bengals had something like 100 offensive plays. The offense however is still a worry, even though the Fins ran the ball well.

Great to snap that 4 game losing streak and get to .500. I don't think the Fins are a playoff side, but at least last night's W still makes it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Colohall wrote: »

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting game last night. I didn't see it all(ashamed to admit I was dosing off for long portions!) but the bits that I saw I was impressed by the Dolphins defence. Dalton was coming in as arguably the hottest QB in the NFL and the phins did a good job of shutting down passing lanes and making sure that AJ Green was able to get the ball for mostly short and intermediate gains.

Miami aren't one of the top teams in the league and have serious flaws but if you get the midpoint of the season at .500 you're always going to be in with a shout of a wildcard

Half-way through the season and at 4-4 after playing the toughest part of the schedule.

Finishing with games against Tampa, San Diego, Carolina, Jets, Steelers, Patriots, Bills and Jets......they could concievably finish out the second half 5-3 or even 6-2

I think the real positive that came from the game is that we can rubbish all the rumours that Philbin has lost the locker room. Every single player gave absolutely everything they had. How some of the players on D finished that game is beyond me. they looked out on their feet at the end of 3. Seems as though Sherman listened to the calls to run the ball more too. And the O-line looked a lot more comfortable going forward run blocking than pass blocking. I hope thats the game that signals us turning the corner this season. Onwards and Upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So what's the story with Jonathan Martin quitting the team due to bullying. NFLPA investigating Richie Incognitos role in the pranks. Can hadly have been a one-off thing that led to him leaving??

Advertisement