Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miami Dolphins Thread

• 23-03-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

I think at this stage a specific thread for the Dolphins is warranted.

The events of the last few weeks have turned the Fins from a team with a shot at the playoffs in 2012 (with the right moves), to looking like the most incompetent team in the league.

As a reminder, we have missed out on Fisher, Manning, Flynn, Smith and Winston, whilst trading our best WR to Chicago for a handful of beans. The only additions have been a backup safety and David Garrard. The way we cut Bell was also fairly classless.

Unless I’m missing something, Jeff Ireland is slowly running the team into the ground and has no obvious strategic plan in place. Our offense was poor last year and with no elite QB and WR we could be even worse in 2012. Help in the draft isn’t guaranteed as our draft record isn’t exactly stellar.

We always live in hope but does hope in this instance mean we stink so bad that Ireland is fired and we get the 1st pick next year?? Bar an excellent draft we are looking at a very long season…again!

As it’s the 1st post I thought I’d include some Twitter accounts that are worth following as a Dolphins fan:

@OmarKelly
    @JeffDarlington
    @SiClancy (Mainly Liverpool FC but he also writes columns for the Miami Herald)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Fair play for starting this.

Yeah things are pretty awful at the moment, but in fairness they have been like this for a while. Steven Ross isn't helping matters much either.

A good draft though and things could turn around pretty quickly. A QB is a must and the guy I like most is Weeden. Grabbing him in the 2nd round would be awesome. Would certainly have a shot at starting right away.

My confidence though that Ireland can provide a good draft is non existent however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Could ba a possibility that Miami fall to the bottom and pick up Barkley next year, which is actually a best case scenario given how poor an offseason you guys are having.

As a Colts fan I'm predicting another 1st round pick and then doing a St Louis and trading a buttload of picks for 1st. We havent even got a team.

davyjose wrote: »
    Could ba a possibility that Miami fall to the bottom and pick up Barkley next year, which is actually a best case scenario given how poor an offseason you guys are having.

As a Colts fan I'm predicting another 1st round pick and then doing a St Louis and trading a buttload of picks for 1st. We havent even got a team.

Depending on who declares, next years QB class could be stacked with Barkley, Bray, Jones, Wilson and Murray (but I doubt Murray & Bray do). I'd be surprised that if you do end up picking in the top 5, you wouldn't find a trade partner.

Have to say I do like the way your going about your business at the moment. Your off-season moves have been good and your stayed away from over-priced/over-rated guys. A couple of good drafts and you'll be contenders again in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Another long suffering Dolphins fan. There are definitely issues that need to be addressed within the organisation most notably the position of Jeff Ireland as GM.

In saying that you could argue this week shenanigans and the goings on from the beginning of the off season may be a blessing in the long term. Manning's contract was unaffordable for the Dolphins in the long run and he's one hit away from the end of his career. Flynn's completely unproven at this level. There's no guaruntee he's an upgrade on Matt Moore. Time will tell.

Jeff Fisher's record as a coach hasn't set the world alight. Solid coach yes, championships (what we're trying to compete for) well he hasn't yet. Plus we'd have Gregg Williams as a defensive co-ordinator at this stage.

In saying all this we need a strong draft in order to be competitive. The defence has a lot of young players and they really need to begin to step up, Smith and Davis at cornerback especially.

The offense needs alot of work. Quarterback is an issue we might address in the draft but I'm not sure there's a franchise type quarterback available. Tannehill seems to be a bit of a project. Personally I don't want him but it mightn't be the worst thing in the world.

Wide receiver would be the primary concern at the minute. As much as I like Brian Hartline and Davone Bess they aren't a 1 and 2 type receiver. Michael Floyd might be available at 8 and he'd be my pick.

Couple of others to follow on twitter

@BenVolinPBP - Palm Beach Post beat writer, less annoying than Omar
    @thephinsider - Decent Dolphins blog

Few fans with big gobs always add colour

@TheMattyI - blogger, has an opinion on everything
    @phinsspotlight - another Dolphins blogger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

rosskeen wrote: »
    The offense needs alot of work. Quarterback is an issue we might address in the draft but I'm not sure there's a franchise type quarterback available. Tannehill seems to be a bit of a project. Personally I don't want him but it mightn't be the worst thing in the world.

I'm not gone on any of the QBs that we have a shot at getting. Part of me believes we should just stick with Moore for this year and go all out to get an elite QB in 2013, be it through draft position or trade.

Like you, I think we need to go WR in the 1st round, and possibly take another in the lower rounds. It is a real area of weakness for us.

• Advertisement

So with little over two weeks remaining till the draft, is everyone sold on the idea of Tannehill becoming a Dolphin? Or does anyone thing Ireland may go in another direction?

TaosHum wrote: »
    So with little over two weeks remaining till the draft, is everyone sold on the idea of Tannehill becoming a Dolphin? Or does anyone thing Ireland may go in another direction?

I think Ireland wants Tannehill. I'm not sure about him, he seems to be one of these players who have jumped up in the draft since the college season ended, so taking him at 8 might be a reach.

Also, hes only played 17 games at QB in college, so is still a 'project'. My gut says wait till next season to draft a QB.

This is Ireland though so there is no way of knowing what he's capable of doing!!

I'm certainly not sold on Tannehill and definitely not at 8. His performances against the better college defences left a lot to be desired. (Too many turnovers- if we'd wanted that we should have stuck with Henne)

Ireland has refused to overpay for quarterbacks up to this point so I'm not convinced he will draft him. No one has any idea what Ireland, Ross and Philbin are thinking. Everyone seemed convinced they'd take Flynn and they passed.

Moore and Garrard offer two solid if unspectacular starters for the next year. We can get the pieces in place now and find a quarterback next year who's the equal of Tannehill if not better.

Top priority in my mind is getting a number one wide receiver. I know Philbin likes to use his WRs in different ways but with Hartline and Bess as the 1 and 2 receivers we'd certainly struggle. And if one of them was to pick up an injury we'd struggle.

I'm certainly not sold on Tannehill and definitely not at 8. His performances against the better college defences left a lot to be desired. (Too many turnovers- if we'd wanted that we should have stuck with Henne)

Ireland has refused to overpay for quarterbacks up to this point so I'm not convinced he will draft him. No one has any idea what Ireland, Ross and Philbin are thinking. Everyone seemed convinced they'd take Flynn and they passed.

Moore and Garrard offer two solid if unspectacular starters for the next year. We can get the pieces in place now and find a quarterback next year who's the equal of Tannehill if not better.

Top priority in my mind is getting a number one wide receiver. I know Philbin likes to use his WRs in different ways but with Hartline and Bess as the 1 and 2 receivers we'd certainly struggle. And if one of them was to pick up an injury we'd struggle.

I'd agree on Tannehill, no-way is he a top 10 pick in my book and I wasn't overally impressed with what I saw of him either. I guess though it will come down to what Mike Sherman thinks and whether he feels he can be a franchise QB. If they are sold on him and think he can be a top QB at the next level, then fair enough I can go along with it.

With news circulating that Wake may hold out unless he is given a new contract, it couldl alter the way they go in the draft. Considering we were already in need of a rusher alongside Wake, him holding out could be a disaster. Thus they might well go after Coples or Ingram at 8.

I'm not sure we have enough cap space to pay Wake what he will be asking for.

I'm not sure if the Wake situation will alter the way we look at the draft because he need another DE anyway. To let Wake get away would be suicidal. He's one of the most productive ends in the league when you include QB hits and pressures. One of our few remaining Probowl calibre players.

As I understand it there are negotiations ongoing to restructure a number of contracts including Jake Long's which would save us cap space which we need to sign draft picks and resign Wake. Wake's currently earning a ridiculously low amount and given his contribution over the last couple of years it's only right that he's rewarded.

I think drafting a DE at 8 would be a very real possibility especially the two mentioned. Once again, I'd prefer them to Tannehill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

There are at least 7/8 better QB prospects eligible for next years draft that are superior to Tannehill. Dolphins would be mad to draft him imo. Stock up on other needs this year to add to what is already a pretty talented team, pull the trigger on a first round QB next year and you've instantly got one hell of a situation for whoever it is to step into.

There are at least 7/8 better QB prospects eligible for next years draft that are superior to Tannehill. Dolphins would be mad to draft him imo. Stock up on other needs this year to add to what is already a pretty talented team, pull the trigger on a first round QB next year and you've instantly got one hell of a situation for whoever it is to step into.

Even though I totally agree that there are at least 4/5 other prospects that could declare next year that are better than Tannehill, I dont think that should influence this years draft TBH.

Reason being is that Ireland is under pressure, so another poor season (and no QB in place) could spell the end of him in Miami, thus next years draft will have no interest to him. At least if he drafts Tannehill, it may convince Ross to give him another 2/3 years as to allow for Tannehill's development and to give Ireland a chance to build around him.
    I'm not sure if the Wake situation will alter the way we look at the draft because he need another DE anyway. To let Wake get away would be suicidal. He's one of the most productive ends in the league when you include QB hits and pressures. One of our few remaining Probowl calibre players.

As I understand it there are negotiations ongoing to restructure a number of contracts including Jake Long's which would save us cap space which we need to sign draft picks and resign Wake. Wake's currently earning a ridiculously low amount and given his contribution over the last couple of years it's only right that he's rewarded.

I think drafting a DE at 8 would be a very real possibility especially the two mentioned. Once again, I'd prefer them to Tannehill.

Hopefully Wake and the Fins can get a deal done and with it only being April time should not be a problem. But like you said, some re-working of some other contracts is necessary, as I think the Fins only have around $6.2m left in cap space, with the draft still to come.

Even with a deal getting done with Wake, I would love to see the Fins going DE at 8. I would prefer Ingram but I think if Ireland was to go DE, it would be Coples IMO. Also think Weeden or Osweiller (who has just visited the Fins) in the 2nd would be better value than Tannehill at 8. But Osweiller would be a huge risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Are all Dolphins fans completly against Matt Moore QB'ing this year. I havent seen too many Dolphins games but anytime I have seen Moore ( even in his panthers days) he has always seemed like a very capable QB.

Is Tannehill really that big of an upgrade over Moore?

If the Dolphins take Tannehill (or even have to trade up to get him) who is he going to throw the ball to. I think if a rookie QB was starting for the Phins he could struggle badly ala Gabbert for the Jags this year.

Would sticking with Moore and loading up talent on the roster not be a better suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Are all Dolphins fans completly against Matt Moore QB'ing this year. I havent seen too many Dolphins games but anytime I have seen Moore ( even in his panthers days) he has always seemed like a very capable QB.

Is Tannehill really that big of an upgrade over Moore?

If the Dolphins take Tannehill (or even have to trade up to get him) who is he going to throw the ball to. I think if a rookie QB was starting for the Phins he could struggle badly ala Gabbert for the Jags this year.

Would sticking with Moore and loading up talent on the roster not be a better suggestion?

That's what I would've thought. Only seen him in a few games last year (including one against the Jets where he was poor enough - Revis had Marshall in his pocket all game) and he seemed decent enough.

Not brilliant but just decent enough and with Garrard now on the books, I'd imagine the biggest area of need would be WR given Marshall went for pretty much peanuts given he was their No. 1 receiver.

Surely picking up Michael Floyd would be a better option even though Philbin indicated he's unlikely to go WR first.

Edit: Also meant to say, another reason they'd be mad to go for Tannehill so early is the fact he's not all that much ahead of the rest of the pack. RGIII and Luck are top quality prospects, then there's about a draft round of difference before another QB is decent enough. Tannehill vs. very good defenses (as has been mentioned on here) has been questionable.

Fairly pissed off we drafted Tannehill. It's got Tedd Ginn written all over it again. Tannehill's performances against good teams throw up too many red flags. A number 8 pick should be able to contribute this year. From all reports Tannehill will sit a season. Our draft really starts in round 2

Not happy with Tannehill at all. We all knew it was coming, but it does stink of a reach ok.

Really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this ending well.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tannehill, but I've always said that if Ireland and Sherman were convinced he could be a franchise QB, then its an excellent pick. If they picked him because Ross or the fanbase is unhappy, or that they simply had to get a QB at 8, then this will be a disaster.

But at least Ireland will leave this franchise knowing he took his gamble on a QB. Whether it was the right choice and is he coached up right will be the questions.

Picks to date

Round 1: QB Ryan Tannehill
    Round 2: OT Jonathan Martin
    Round 3: DE Olivier Vernon
    Round 3: TE Michael Egnew
    Round 4: RB Lamar Miller

Not sure what to make of it so far. I wouldn't be too optimistic of winning any more than 5 or 6 games this year. Obviously Tannehill is a massive gamble. Ireland has put all his games in the Tannehill basket and he'll live or die by the selection. I've been a Dolphin's fan long enough not to get too excited by any quarterback we take.

Martin should slot in well to Right Tackle. With Long and Pouncey already on the O-Line hopefully we'll be able to open up a few holes. Martin's a clear upgrade on the now retired Colombo.

Vernon fills a clear need and he went to college in the Miami area so from that respect he should settle in relatively quickly. He definitely need to sign Wake up to a proper contract over the coming weeks. If we sort that out Vernon can thrive. We're going to need a lot more out of Misi and Odrick this year. They've been very disappointing.

Egnew has a lot of upside as a tight end provided he's used right. There are some similarities to Charles Clay who was drafted last year and played well when given the chance. I like the pick.

Miller was a great value pick. I think he can come in and contribute provided he's healthy.

The big concern is at wide receiver. We've traded easily our best wide receiver in Brandon Marshall and haven't replaced him in any shape or form. I don't care who we bring in, in the later rounds they're not going to get ahead of Bess or Hartline in the depth chart.

A cynic might say that with 3 high value picks on the offensive line are going to give Moore a lot of time to throw the ball away. He's got nothing of any great quality to throw to.

Funnily enough the one pick I dont like is the Miller one. He runs soft as it is and apparently his shoulder still isn't 100%. He has home run speed and can take it to the house with one cut, but he has alot of work to do in the passing game (protection, catching) and I'm not convinced he will be durable enough in the NFL.

Would have preferred Joe Adams with that pick.

The proviso with Miller I suppose is, 'if fit'. He'll not be asked to be an every down back. Reggie and Daniel Thomas will take the vast bulk of the carries anyway.

Round 5: LB Josh Kaddu
    Round 6: WR BJ Cunningham

• Advertisement

The proviso with Miller I suppose is, 'if fit'. He'll not be asked to be an every down back. Reggie and Daniel Thomas will take the vast bulk of the carries anyway.

Round 5: LB Josh Kaddu
    Round 6: WR BJ Cunningham

Like the Cunningham pick. Nice to finally get a receiver also. Has a good shot of making an immediate impact considering the depth at receiver.

I didn't take him with the eighth pick in the draft for him to be a backup quarterback
    Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland.

From the sound of that Tannehill's the number 1 already and Moore and Garrard will be fighting it out to back him up. :confused:

Really not looking forward to this season. I've been positive going into other years but if Tannehill's going to start this year then it's a write off before we start. Such negativity I know- but I really can't get excited about him.

Apart from the Tannehill pick I think the draft went OK. Could have done with a better quality defensive end and wide receiver but I think we picked up some value in the latter rounds.

Nobody said being a Dolphins fan was easy :pac:

I didn't take him with the eighth pick in the draft for him to be a backup quarterback
    Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland.

From the sound of that Tannehill's the number 1 already and Moore and Garrard will be fighting it out to back him up. :confused:

Really not looking forward to this season. I've been positive going into other years but if Tannehill's going to start this year then it's a write off before we start. Such negativity I know- but I really can't get excited about him.

Apart from the Tannehill pick I think the draft went OK. Could have done with a better quality defensive end and wide receiver but I think we picked up some value in the latter rounds.

Nobody said being a Dolphins fan was easy :pac:

If he starts day 1 then he will do no better than Gabbert last year. I dont expect Philbin to be in such a rush to start him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I guess Ireland is hoping for Newton magic rather than Gabbert disaster because it's about the only thing that'll save his own job. It wouldn't be good for Tannehill or the team to be thrown out there half-cocked.

Absolutely insane that the Dolphins have raised questions about Jake Long's long-term future, he'll cost alot of money, but that's because he's one of the very best players in the league at the most essential position on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Syferus wrote: »
    Absolutely insane that the Dolphins have raised questions about Jake Long's long-term future, he'll cost alot of money, but that's because he's one of the very best players in the league at the most essential position on the field.

They haven't. They've told Long he is their LT for years to come, and have told Martin that he was drafted for RT.

Long's salary is the problem, I think he is earning 12m this coming season in comparison to Martin, who I think earns something like 2-3m. That's what some people are looking at and think is the reasoning why Martin was selected. However if Miami wanted to trade Long, then they would have tried to before the draft and plus RT is still an issue, which Martin should plug nicely.

With Wake also looking for a new contract (and rightfully so) Miami's cap is an issue and money needs to be saved somewhere in order to re-sign Wake and a few other starters who are out of contract next season. The Fins could actually franchise Long next season and save money.

I dont think Long will be allowed leave, but he certainly cant be given that type of money again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1197957/1/index.htm

Good article on the Dolphins and the decision to draft Ryan Tannehill.

I think it's fair to say that the pre-season isn't going to plan so far.

- Garrard is out for 2 to 4 weeks, which means no pre season games for our likely starter.

- The cutting of Chad. I have to say I'm conflicted on this. If he is guilty of the charges then by all means cut him, but what happened to innocent until proven guilty? It's not like he's a 'serial offender' and this is just the latest brush with the law. I reckon Philbin was just looking for an excuse, which is all fine and well, IF our other receivers weren't useless!

- Karlos Dansby was fairly strong in his criticism of the coaches decision yesterday. If this reflects the mood of the players then Philbin is in trouble already.

I can see this being a very long season. Knowing us we will get the No 1 pick and won't use it on Barkley as we drafted Tannehill this season.

Not looking forward to September 9th at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Benimar wrote: »
    The cutting of Chad. I have to say I'm conflicted on this. If he is guilty of the charges then by all means cut him, but what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I was listening to NFL Rants and Raves podcast a few weeks ago and they had this discussion of teams cutting players even before any charges are made against them. I understand that teams and the NFL are strict on law breakers but cutting players swiftly despite no official charges brought against them is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Poor performance last night by all accounts. Tannehill was average at best, the D was very poor and God help the QB if we have to use any of those back up linemen!

A lot of work to do, if we aren't going to be cellar dwellers this season.

Advertisement