Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bill Gates wants 1 Billion dead.

Options
  • 02-03-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

"The world today has 6.8 billion people. That's heading up to about nine billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent!" [About 1 Billion People!]
    Bill Gates.

Just fast forward to 2:30.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I think he means that better health care equals less stress on populations. Populations that are in danger often breed more. Better health care = living longer, which means people feel less pressured to reproduce early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Bill Gates wants 1 billion not born...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I think "Bill Gates wants to eat 1 billion babies" would have been as accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive argued this before, at some point in the future we are going to hit a critical mass in the human population, and thats when the **** will really hit the fan.

Ive argued this before, at some point in the future we are going to hit a critical mass in the human population, and thats when the **** will really hit the fan.

What was the name of the fella again, Malthusia or something like that. Basically he said populations grow exponentially but food production grow factorially.
    I don't get the idea of population control being bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

"Reducing the number of people in the world" =/= "killing loads of people."

You can control population size without just murdering vast amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm sure he's talking about contraception and family control broadly under health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Bill Gates wants 1 Billion dead.

Does he take requests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Angus Og wrote: »
    I think he means that better health care equals less stress on populations. Populations that are in danger often breed more. Better health care = living longer, which means people feel less pressured to reproduce early.

I don't understand how you can conclude that by better health care and people living longer will bring future population down by 10%-15%.
    studiorat wrote: »
    Bill Gates wants 1 billion not born...

Eugenics?
    800px-Galton_class_eugenics.svg.png
    fontanalis wrote: »
    I think "Bill Gates wants to eat 1 billion babies" would have been as accurate.

If you just want to add bullsh1t don't bother.

Well why don't you and Bill do the right thing and offer your life up to save the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

1 billion people less being born, is certainly better than alot more than that figure being alive miserable and starving to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Man, we got to post ten before someone brought up eugenics? That's a bit disappointing, I had expected it earlier.
    Well why don't you and Bill do the right thing and offer your life up to save the planet.

Uprising, that's not precisely the point. It's not about killing people, it's about preventing populations from growing further. And that's not eugenics. People having better healthcare will mean they have smaller families, that's the trend in pretty much every industrialized or post-industrial nation.

That said, an ageing population can be very hard to support, so Bill's plan has its own problems.

uprising2 wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can conclude that by better health care and people living longer will bring future population down by 10%-15%.

I didn't. I said, that is what he means. It's simple. It's a theory. Isn't everything on this forum? :)

What are you implying?

The human expansion at the speed its on at present isn't sustainable forever. There will come a point where we either colonize other planets on a massive scale or introduce laws on child birth.

Otherwise there will be Famine, disease and wars for land which can be farmed.

Eugenics?
    800px-Galton_class_eugenics.svg.png

If you just want to add bullsh1t don't bother.

Not adding just compounding. With Eugenics you just jumped the shark

jump_shark_proof.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I dont know if this "fact" is true or not.I read that at the moment you could take every person on the planet and give them a 1/4 acre each with a house and that would only fill up the space of either australia or one of the states in australia i cant remember exactly.

If this is true then the idea that there are too many humans on the planet is surely bordering on erm.. insane?

I myself dont understand these comments from people who say the world is overpopulated.
    I really think its just not managed properly.

Its a bit sad when governments worldwide are responsible for killing and starving people in poor countries and then turn around and say we need to kill a few more because we are too unorganised to fit anyone else in OUR planet.Like they own it...

Im not suggesting we start sending everyone to australia.But If the governments and superstates are running out of resources why not reorganise things to run better?
    Oh thats right we are ruled by the bankers and we must wait until they are ready for us to progress along their journey before anything can be allowed to happen.
    I would normally consider a world wide organised effort a good thing but not in this system we have at the moment.Any world wide effort i am sure would be headed by the very people putting us in these bad situations with food shortages, massive massive debts from bailouts and loans.

In my opinion the only ways this is going to get sorted is to either have a rebellion(violent or economical) against the bankers and co and attempt to get rid of the fiat money system.Replace it with a gold/silver backed currency.And take back our belongings,ie cars, houses, birth certs,appliances that are registered to the government who actually owns them.Read into it if it sounds ridiculous.

Or Rebel in violence and get the big red button pressed so we can hurtle forward to all out war so they can then get the depopulation they wanted.
    And make more money on the side of course.

The way it seems to be going now is everyone is waiting for someone to do something.The government speaks to its citizens, they rely on government for peace of mind because government tells them what they are allowed do with their lives.
    Since the majority are blissfully unaware of the eu war machine creeping up on them for recruitment and depopulation on this side of the world,it most likely will happen exactly the way the world rulers want it.Unless ofc 2012 end of the world type event happens.They just have a massive upperhand with resources then.

What i wrote sounds very drastic and enthusiastic indeed.I dont think these events happen over night.I believe they will for the most part if not all i said will happen over a few decades.
    The EU will be built up to rival Russia and America/Britain,Asia.
    Eventually those superstates will be in conflict or joined worldwide.Between there regular small wars for resource gathering there may be another world war to create work and make money and lower populations a little.

Its a little scary that China have been killing off alot of their females in favour of male children.I read over the last 25 years they have been doing this as well as forcably aborting babies who were not permited to live(i understand the situation is tough in china with population,It is only partly there fault they are killing there own people.imo).Doesnt that mean that China should now have a massive army compared to 25 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_troops

Ok i dont know if thats massive compared to 25 years ago but China seem to roughly have about the same amount of overall troops as Russia and America put together.

Torakx wrote: »
    I dont know if this "fact" is true or not.I read that at the moment you could take every person on the planet and give them a 1/4 acre each with a house and that would only fill up the space of either australia or one of the states in australia i cant remember exactly.

If this is true then the idea that there are too many humans on the planet is surely bordering on erm.. insane?

Its Texas.

Its a shame that in a week most of us would die from thirst.

And its not a simple matter of living space, its a matter of food and fresh water. There will be a point where u can feed no more people and fresh water isn't infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

fontanalis wrote: »
    What was the name of the fella again, Malthusia or something like that. Basically he said populations grow exponentially but food production grow factorially.
    Malthus. And he was wrong - he forgot about technological advances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

More water filtration? I always found it strange that with more than half the planet covered in water, people die of thirst. Although I am sure there is good reason why this is a problem. It just seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bill gates wants 1 billion dead

"The world today has 6.8 billion people. That's heading up to about nine billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent!" [About 1 Billion People!]
    Bill Gates.

Just fast forward to 2:30.

Did you even bother to watch the video or is it a copypasta from a CT website?? Talk about sensationalizing the whole thing. :rolleyes: He never said he wanted 1 billion people dead!! You conspiracy guys crack me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I myself dont understand these comments from people who say the world is overpopulated.
    I really think its just not managed properly.

Its a bit sad when governments worldwide are responsible for killing and starving people in poor countries and then turn around and say we need to kill a few more because we are too unorganised to fit anyone else in OUR planet.Like they own it...

Im not suggesting we start sending everyone to australia.But If the governments and superstates are running out of resources why not reorganise things to run better?
    Oh thats right we are ruled by the bankers and we must wait until they are ready for us to progress along their journey before anything can be allowed to happen.
    I would normally consider a world wide organised effort a good thing but not in this system we have at the moment.Any world wide effort i am sure would be headed by the very people putting us in these bad situations with food shortages, massive massive debts from bailouts and loans.

In my opinion the only ways this is going to get sorted is to either have a rebellion(violent or economical) against the bankers and co and attempt to get rid of the fiat money system.Replace it with a gold/silver backed currency.And take back our belongings,ie cars, houses, birth certs,appliances that are registered to the government who actually owns them.Read into it if it sounds ridiculous.

Or Rebel in violence and get the big red button pressed so we can hurtle forward to all out war so they can then get the depopulation they wanted.
    And make more money on the side of course.

The way it seems to be going now is everyone is waiting for someone to do something.The government speaks to its citizens, they rely on government for peace of mind because government tells them what they are allowed do with their lives.
    Since the majority are blissfully unaware of the eu war machine creeping up on them for recruitment and depopulation on this side of the world,it most likely will happen exactly the way the world rulers want it.Unless ofc 2012 end of the world type event happens.They just have a massive upperhand with resources then.

What i wrote sounds very drastic and enthusiastic indeed.I dont think these events happen over night.I believe they will for the most part if not all i said will happen over a few decades.
    The EU will be built up to rival Russia and America/Britain,Asia.
    Eventually those superstates will be in conflict or joined worldwide.Between there regular small wars for resource gathering there may be another world war to create work and make money and lower populations a little.

Its a little scary that China have been killing off alot of their females in favour of male children.I read over the last 25 years they have been doing this as well as forcably aborting babies who were not permited to live(i understand the situation is tough in china with population,It is only partly there fault they are killing there own people.imo).Doesnt that mean that China should now have a massive army compared to 25 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_troops

Ok i dont know if thats massive compared to 25 years ago but China seem to roughly have about the same amount of overall troops as Russia and America put together.

Look we could fit everyone on the moon too does not mean we could survive on it.

Since the industrial revolution the population of the planet has spiked - The reason for this is mainly due to the fact that we can produce food on a massive scale.

The amount of food the planet produces has a direct impact on the population of the planet.

The planet is like huge battery - we are burning up all the oil as we speak so our ability to produce food in the same manner is likely to either to level out or reduce. The direct result of this is we will not longer be able to support what we once did.

This is pure mathamatics no getting away from it.

Governments are corrupt and greedy. Individuals are smart people are stupid - Nothing you can do about it!

• Advertisement

I agree.
    It isnt about living space its about resources aswell if not more.
    Those things can also be fixed if governments werent so busy shooting people and stealing resources.
    Instead of encouraging corperate takeovers and big chains that destroy countries economies they could have organised each country alot better to start with.
    What happened to all the farmers in ireland?
    Did we suddenly start importing food from other countries instead or feeding ourselves?
    The governments science department of health and food or whatever in ireland for example have still not educated people to grow there own food,created any incentives to grow your own food or build houses as standard with the ability to grow food indoors.
    The water issue may have to be addressed in a few hundred years if the human race eventually gets organised.

Im probably going to get burned bad for this now but cant a person take sea water and boil it evaporating and distilling the condensation to get drinkable water?

I know i am waffling a bit now lol
    I just get pissed off at how the world is so messed up and i watch it getting worse and worse not better and better.
    I still believe this all stems from the fiat currency we have.Without that greedy people could not have so easily enslaved nations and we might have been able to afford by now a house on every acre in ireland alone from the money extorted from this countries people.

I dont know what Bill Gates ment by saying vaccines may help reduce the population by about 10%.If we live longer and and everyone is peaceful does that mean we wont want to have sex as much in poor countries where there is no means of contraceptive.
    I think population control could be an issue in 50 years,but it certainly shouldnt be an issue if the place was run properly to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

wheres the full video, that is only selecting a portion of the whole video and is completely taken out of context as a whole..

More water filtration? I always found it strange that with more than half the planet covered in water, people die of thirst. Although I am sure there is good reason why this is a problem. It just seems a bit mad.

I have no idea about the science behind it, but im sure at some stage if the population kept expanding we would be taking out more than what was going in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_crisis

http://www.howstuffworks.com/run-out-of-water.htm

What your refering to is Desalination http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination which isnt econimical at the moment and its not very environmental friendly as your distroying ocean life forms to do it.

As new technological innovations continue to reduce the capital cost of desalination, more countries are building desalination plants as a small element in addressing their water crises.
    • Israel desalinizes water for a cost of 53 cents per cubic meter
    • Singapore desalinizes water for 49 cents per cubic meter and also treats sewage with reverse osmosis for industrial and potable use (NEWater).
    • China and India, the world's two most populous countries, are turning to desalination to provide a small part of their water needs [
    • In 2007 Pakistan announced plans to use desalination
    • Australia uses desalination
    • In 2007 Bermuda signed a contract to purchase a desalination plant
    • The largest desalination plant in the United States is the one at Tampa Bay, Florida, which began desalinizing 25 million gallons (95000 m³) of water per day in December 2007. In the United States, the cost of desalination is $3.06 for 1,000 gallons, or 81 cents per cubic meter. In the United States, California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida use desalination for a very small part of their water supply.
    • After being desalinized at Jubail, Saudi Arabia, water is pumped 200 miles (320 km) inland though a pipeline to the capital city of Riyadh.
    A January 17, 2008, article in the Wall Street Journel states, "World-wide, 13,080 desalination plants produce more than 12 billion gallons of water a day, according to the International Desalination Association."
    The world's largest desalination plant is the Jebel Ali Desalination Plant (Phase 2) in the United Arab Emirates. It is a dual-purpose facility that uses multi-stage flash distillation and is capable of producing 300 million cubic meters of water per year.
    A typical aircraft carrier in the U.S. military uses nuclear power to desalinize 400,000 gallons of water per day.
    While desalinizing 1,000 gallons of water can cost as much as $3, the same amount of bottled water costs $7,945.
    However, given the energy intensive nature of desalination, with associated economic and environmental costs, desalination is generally considered a last resort after water conservation. But this is changing as prices continue to fall.
    According to MSNBC, a report by Lux Research estimated that the worldwide desalinated water supply will triple between 2008 and 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Im probably going to get burned bad for this now but cant a person take sea water and boil it evaporating and distilling the condensation to get drinkable water?

No you're right, you can do this. But take it from me, it is not a very fast process. Also, distilled water lacks nutrients and minerals and as such is not as healthy for you as other water sources are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I agree.
    It isnt about living space its about resources aswell if not more.
    Those things can also be fixed if governments werent so busy shooting people and stealing resources.
    Instead of encouraging corperate takeovers and big chains that destroy countries economies they could have organised each country alot better to start with.
    What happened to all the farmers in ireland?
    Did we suddenly start importing food from other countries instead or feeding ourselves?
    The governments science department of health and food or whatever in ireland for example have still not educated people to grow there own food,created any incentives to grow your own food or build houses as standard with the ability to grow food indoors.
    The water issue may have to be addressed in a few hundred years if the human race eventually gets organised.

I just get pissed off at how the world is so messed up and i watch it getting worse and worse not better and better.
    I still believe this all stems from the fiat currency we have.Without that greedy people could not have so easily enslaved nations and we might have been able to afford by now a house on every acre in ireland alone from the money extorted from this countries people.

I dont know what Bill Gates ment by saying vaccines may help reduce the population by about 10%.If we live longer and and everyone is peaceful does that mean we wont want to have sex as much in poor countries where there is no means of contraceptive.
    I think population control could be an issue in 50 years,but it certainly shouldnt be an issue if the place was run properly to start with.

I think you are being a little simplistic in how you are looking at this.
    Ireland has a small enough population which is fair enough - How much food do you think we would need to produce to support everyone as we do now? How much oil would we need to produce to keep factorys, machinary, cars etc... running (Seeing we produce no oil).

Being self sufficient is something if we tried to do, I think would throw us back into a depression like we had during the famine. Or everyones life style would need to change radically

Population control is already an issue - When you have peopel starving it is an issue.

For the rich to be rich the poor need to be poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

robtri wrote: »
    wheres the full video, that is only selecting a portion of the whole video and is completely taken out of context as a whole..

Here's the original: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/bill_gates.html

ye we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    It is easy to place the blame but harder to find a proper solution.
    We can continue killing and sterilizing people or start making our way back to the dark ages in an orderly fashion.
    After all when we run out of oil nobody is going to be able to make nearly all the technology we have nowadays anyway.
    So i honestly believe we should ease our way back into a "greener" way of life.
    When the oil runs out its probably going to be the end of technology as WE know it.
    Co2 taxes are not going to do a single thing imo to solve this problem and its hair brained ideas like it that have things piling up on the next generation.
    I dont know if that was Bill Gates solution im guessing not as it does sound ridiculous.But here is a funny comment from a person on youtube i thought was worth posting :)

"We had to put up with Al Gore, now it's this guy. They are really grasping at straws because of the climategate! What's also ****ed up he's preaching and he's one of the biggest producers of Co2 emitters. Just think of all the energy his business burnt up. What a jackass fraud! I guess us evil Co2 peasant need to be dealt with."

ye we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    It is easy to place the blame but harder to find a proper solution.
    We can continue killing and sterilizing people or start making our way back to the dark ages in an orderly fashion.
    After all when we run out of oil nobody is going to be able to make nearly all the technology we have nowadays anyway.
    When the oil runs out its probably going to be the end of technology as WE know it.
    Co2 taxes are not going to do a single thing imo to solve this problem and its hair brained ideas like it that have things piling up on the next generation.
    I dont know if that was Bill Gates solution im guessing not as it does sound ridiculous.But here is a funny comment from a person on youtube i thought was worth posting :)

"We had to put up with Al Gore, now it's this guy. They are really grasping at straws because of the climategate! What's also ****ed up he's preaching and he's one of the biggest producers of Co2 emitters. Just think of all the energy his business burnt up. What a jackass fraud! I guess us evil Co2 peasant need to be dealt with."

Wasn't worth it, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Where are people being killed and sterilized?

What about every single other energy source available to us? Solar, wind, nuclear, tidal, hydroelectric, geothermal etc. Sure, it's going to be hard to wean the entire planet off oil, but the end of technology as we know it? Not a chance.

• Advertisement

Kepti wrote: »
    Where are people being killed and sterilized?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/14/opinion/l-sterilization-in-india-127183.html?pagewanted=1

The link isn't about killing.

Advertisement