Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Discovery S03E03 'People of Earth' - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I'm sorry, but "woke" is a ludicrous charge to level at any Star Trek show. Every single series has tried to be socially progressive in it's own way, going right back to The Cage with Number One and having a woman in a command position. From the interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura, the black and white Charons, the ethics of Data's right to self determination, the kiss between Dax and a previous hosts wife, the racism of twentieth century American in several DS9 episodes, the rise of jingoism and nationalism on Earth in Enterprise (& DS9 at the outset of the dominion), it goes on and on.

Dislike the Disco all you want, and I do have issue with how ham fisted some of this is in Disco, but if you're under the illusion that Star Trek has never been a show that engages with contemporaneous social issues then you may want to go back and rewatch these older series a bit more closely.

I have watched Star Trek all my live thanks very much. I posted the below earlier on in this thread not that read it.

“”Ah stop the whole arching plot is a complete joke written by woke idiots. Can you imagine riker doing what Burnham does, countermanding Picard or getting in a fist fight with Data.

There is a hatred of men which is constantly displayed throughout this show, they have emasculated Spock. The constant moving camera shooting dynamic is awful the “main” characters are pathetic, Tilly for example is written to appeal to snowflakes and burnham is no way likeable. This latest season is entirely contrived, badly, in my opinion to have two black characters as the leads in Star Trek, a woman in an iron man suite crashes into and disable a mans space ship come on.
    It’s is ground breaking when you consider that the original Star Trek had white guys “blacked up” to play sKlingons for example, an awful thing. But this puts everything that Star Trek has achieved into the garbage, Ben Sisko, Janeway, worf, le forge, all well written characters with a morale code that does not discriminate. Plus the many many episodes of there respective iterations that tackled numerous injustices.

Fine have a show with an agenda but write the damn thing so it at least does justice to the themes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh GOODY, another tedious diversion over that lazy 'effing reduction of "woke". What larks.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh GOODY, another tedious diversion over that lazy 'effing reduction of "woke". What larks.

If people actually looked up the definition instead of jumping on a high horse things might be a lot less tense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If people actually looked up the definition instead of jumping on a high horse things might be a lot less tense.

I know full well what it means. It's just a topic that's boring and repetitive. You're just the latest user stomping in ranting about emasculation or whatever. It's like the office bore who always manages to steer a conversation back to Soros, or Brexit or whatever bee is in their butt. This is the umpteenth segue into "grr Trek is woke" and it's dull. Any intellectual value is spent at this stage

Back to the season, the Dilithium being the issue is ridiculous

They could have used the Omega particle forming a massive stable lattice, in the galactic core, but destabilising crashing warp travel galaxy wide. They could have specified that its subspace interference also affected Transwarp etc...
    Would have stranded ships decades from help, causing same loss of fleets (and gradual death)

DSC spore drive would still give the massive advantage.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I know full well what it means. It's just a topic that's boring and repetitive. You're just the latest user stomping in ranting about emasculation or whatever. It's like the office bore who always manages to steer a conversation back to Soros, or Brexit or whatever bee is in their butt. This is the umpteenth segue into "grr Trek is woke" and it's dull. Any intellectual value is spent at this stage

No I’m saying to put out a terrible show that is based on one that has such a history is disappointing to say the least. Personally I regret coming back to this god awful forum as it’s so bitter and some times racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

DSC spore drive would still give the massive advantage.

Though with the absolutely massive disadvantage that Discovery is woefully underequipped for the 31st century. Two torpedoes and they were left essentially defenceless (I'll do a bit of a handwave at how powerful their shields can be to even handle that.....)

I hope at some point this season they attempt some form of upgrading the ship, within reason, otherwise there's going to be an awful lot of running going on at the merest hint of trouble.

Also, I love the repair robots. It does get around the Voyager reset problem quite neatly, even if it's a retcon to canon. They're just cool, maybe exocomp precursors?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Probably best not to feed the trolls on these threads tbh. "Where'd all teh white males go though" ZZZZZzzzzzzz.

Though with the absolutely massive disadvantage that Discovery is woefully underequipped for the 31st century. Two torpedoes and they were left essentially defenceless (I'll do a bit of a handwave at how powerful their shields can be to even handle that.....)

I hope at some point this season they attempt some form of upgrading the ship, within reason, otherwise there's going to be an awful lot of running going on at the merest hint of trouble.

Also, I love the repair robots. It does get around the Voyager reset problem quite neatly, even if it's a retcon to canon. They're just cool, maybe exocomp precursors?

I would imagine that Michael will have all kinds of upgrades to be performed.
    This is one instance where she would, within confines of a story, have all the answers. She's been there for a year (again 5 would have been better) and had time to realise that Discovery needs massive upgrades and figure out what the ship can actually handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Repair droids. Always put me in mind of Burn-E when I see tech like that.

Anyway liked the episode. Nice look between Saru and Burnham when the Earth captain warned they were in danger of waging war in the name of the Federation. The look just said "....again " :D
    But they managed to do what Starfleet are supposed to do. Broker peace and negotiations, that's very Star Trek.
    So it appears the subtitle for this season is "The Search for The Federation". I'm curious to see what happened to the Vulcans or the Klingons heck maybe the Ferengi are trading Dilthium like it's going out of fashion. Hopefully we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I worked with a bunch of people before for 2 years. I didn't love them as ****ing family. Jesus.

Aside from that, good episode. They need to get on with it though.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I worked with a bunch of people before for 2 years. I didn't love them as ****ing family. Jesus.

Aside from that, good episode. They need to get on with it though.

Yeah, but you went home after work every day presumably. Try serving on a military mission for two years, or serving on a sea vessel sailing the world. In those instances, your workmates are your family.

flazio wrote: »
    Yeah, but you went home after work every day presumably. Try serving on a military mission for two years, or serving on a sea vessel sailing the world. In those instances, your workmates are your family.

Ya navy personnel regularly break down crying on duty.

Ya navy personnel regularly break down crying on duty.

Yeah but Discovery is a science vessel, full of scientists. We know this because they keep saying it out loud, often during "tense and dramatic" military style confrontations.

Scientists, as everyone knows, are very excitable and emotional creatures.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Yeah but Discovery is a science vessel, full of scientists. We know this because they keep saying it out loud, often during "tense and dramatic" military style confrontations.

That must be why I failed to get beyond degree level in both my courses.

Damn this stoic nature...

There also known for their fist fighting and karate skills. 🀨

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tedious episode. Little to no attention paid to the spore drive, Earth has amazing defenses but cant scan outside the solar system to see a ship magically appear. The peace process was bizarre, getting the lad to lower his shields was also bizarre.

I am struggling to stay with it. Again, great premise but needs a bit of a turn soon. If the Burn is short for the Burnham effect, I am done though :pac:

Did Michaels mother use the name "Burnham" as well? I'm suspecting she's "The Burn". Something to do with her appearance in the future caused the Dilthium boom boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm glad to see there was a hint of tension between Saru and Michael at the end but really it's ridiculous how much leeway she gets and it's a shame because if they actually dealt with it head on it might make for some interesting story and character development.

I agree with previous posters that one year is far too short a time for her to have gone through these changes, should've been 3/4.

Not sure The Burn name could have derived from Burnham though, didn't she say in the intro that The Burn happened 700 years after they left the past?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see there was a hint of tension between Saru and Michael at the end but really it's ridiculous how much leeway she gets and it's a shame because if they actually dealt with it head on it might make for some interesting story and character development.

I agree with previous posters that one year is far too short a time for her to have gone through these changes, should've been 3/4.

Not sure The Burn name could have derived from Burnham though, didn't she say in the intro that The Burn happened 700 years after they left the past?

Girl meets boy by crashing her time travelling iron man suite into boys space ship, one can’t expect an substantial plot shake up at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

There's three things to like in this episode.
    1. Saru is the captain
    2. The memorial wall. The scene was awful but the wall itself is a nice touch.
    3. They're continuing whatever is going on with Detmer. It could turn out to be crap but it hopefully won't be a Burnham-centric plot line.
    But can somebody for the love of God (who needs a starship) pin a giant notice in the writers room of the general scale of galaxies.

The Nguyen thing is a perfect example of how bad they are at this. Titan is only hours away at impulse, even at the speeds we currently have the Star Trek style life support and artificial gravity would make the trip long but doable. And radios exist, they have done for over a thousand years in this time.

Also millions died is comically low, I had to re-watch the scene with subtitles to be absolutely sure it wasn't billions, which is still low for a galactic event. Dozens to hundreds of millions of Starfleet personnel alone should have died given what we know about the Burn. To be absolutely fair this is an old issue, the Cardassians did nothing wrong on Bajor given the stated numbers, but it's glaring in this episode.

EDIT: And Discovery need a massive refit.

Girl meets boy by crashing her time travelling iron man suite into boys space ship, one can’t expect an substantial plot shake up at this point.

Stories throughout history are littered with ludicrous coincidences, this is a strange one to focus on and it's not even unique. I'm reminded of Farscape which featured a very similar coincidence and the resulting misunderstanding lead to a series long arc. Discovery emerging from the wormhole and crashing into a planet is the exact same thing. It's just a way of moving the story forward quickly.

Evade wrote: »
    There's three things to like in this episode.
    1. Saru is the captain
    2. The memorial wall. The scene was awful but the wall itself is a nice touch.
    3. They're continuing whatever is going on with Detmer. It could turn out to be crap but it hopefully won't be a Burnham-centric plot line.
    But can somebody for the love of God (who needs a starship) pin a giant notice in the writers room of the general scale of galaxies.

The Nguyen thing is a perfect example of how bad they are at this. Titan is only hours away at impulse, even at the speeds we currently have the Star Trek style life support and artificial gravity would make the trip long but doable. And radios exist, they have done for over a thousand years in this time.

Also millions died is comically low, I had to re-watch the scene with subtitles to be absolutely sure it wasn't billions, which is still low for a galactic event. Dozens to hundreds of millions of Starfleet personnel alone should have died given what we know about the Burn. To be absolutely fair this is an old issue, the Cardassians did nothing wrong on Bajor given the stated numbers, but it's glaring in this episode.

EDIT: And Discovery need a massive refit.

“Captain sensors indicate a massive cynical disturbance!

Stories throughout history are littered with ludicrous coincidences, this is a strange one to focus on and it's not even unique. I'm reminded of Farscape which featured a very similar coincidence and the resulting misunderstanding lead to a series long arc. Discovery emerging from the wormhole and crashing into a planet is the exact same thing. It's just a way of moving the story forward quickly.

Ya a ship crashing onto a planet is plausible but a person disabling a space ship by colliding with is not. Remember in series 2 were Burnham beat that cyborg girl in a fist fight come on, that scene was a kin to Riker punching data to the ground, the whole thing is ridicules. Yes it’s a tv show but they cancel a series like night flyers and continue with this bilge, please. Compare std to the expanse, or DS 9 or even the Star Trek with the quantum leap guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Evade wrote: »
    [*]The memorial wall. The scene was awful but the wall itself is a nice touch.

A nice touch, but a poor mans BSG memorial wall was my initial reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ben Sisko, worf, Geordie Leforge, janeway, all well written characters with morale codes that didn’t discriminate.

I don't understand what your point is other than the 2 supporting characters you named have actual character, unlike the cast of the current show.

My point is other than Pike (who was excellent) there have been no White Men who arnt protagonists. Every scene seems to be an "Avengers" moment of women power.

I don't understand what your point is other than the 2 supporting characters you named have actual character, unlike the cast of the current show.

My point is other than Pike (who was excellent) there have been no White Men who arnt protagonists. Every scene seems to be an "Avengers" moment of women power.

Stamets?

Stamets?

Needs to be straight or it doesn't count.

I think the criteria is straight, white, male, main character, decent rank, human, good guy.

The rest is just woke. Grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Too much Burnham. Better not be as others have said, that Burnham caused the Burn.

I think the cat is a Shapeshifter. Like the cat in TOS in that time travel episode. Could change between a cat and a woman.

Very much a meh episode. Universe seems totally ****ed. Earth gone back to the dark auld ways.

Not sure how the whole Trill symboinat surviving in a human??? Makes zero sense.

Did they steal the Raiders helmet from the Keepers in Mass Effect 2?

The tree was cool.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Needs to be straight or it doesn't count.

I think the criteria is straight, white, male, main character, decent rank, human, good guy.

The rest is just woke. Grrrr.

*Cough* Pike *Cough*

Advertisement