Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Comments

Will probably be in the market for something soon, just waiting for my yoke to completely pack it in. Anyway looking at Volvos around 2006 and the insides just look lovely. Not too worried about fuel economy or performance tbh, have a slight preference for diesel as I've gotten used to doing 80% of my typical daily driving with just my left foot. :pac: Anyway is there anything to look out for with the particular engines, diesel or petrol, they used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Will probably be in the market for something soon, just waiting for my yoke to completely pack it in. Anyway looking at Volvos around 2006 and the insides just look lovely. Not too worried about fuel economy or performance tbh, have a slight preference for diesel as I've gotten used to doing 80% of my typical daily driving with just my left foot. :pac: Anyway is there anything to look out for with the particular engines, diesel or petrol, they used?
    Your LEFT foot???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You'll go a good bit newer than 2006 for a 2 grand Volvo and there are some beautie's come up for sale on a fairly regular basis.

They're the type of car that tend to crop up and have had one careful owner, fsh and low mileage. Great cars in my humble opinion.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Your LEFT foot???

Aye, set off in first, into 2nd, stay in that in traffic til I'm about 200m from home.

You'll go a good bit newer than 2006 for a 2 grand Volvo and there are some beautie's come up for sale on a fairly regular basis.

They're the type of car that tend to crop up and have had one careful owner, fsh and low mileage. Great cars in my humble opinion.
    I love their style and “Swedishness” but Volvo got passed around like an abused child for an entire decade until the Chinese bought them and turned them into a fashion brand. There are people much more knowledgeable than me on here but I’d avoid any Volvo after Ford bought them.

• Advertisement

Aye, set off in first, into 2nd, stay in that in traffic til I'm about 200m from home.
    Ok, gotcha, as in you never have to touch accelerator. My bad.

I love their style and “Swedishness” but Volvo got passed around like an abused child for an entire decade until the Chinese bought them and turned them into a fashion brand. There are people much more knowledgeable than me on here but I’d avoid any Volvo after Ford bought them.

Ford bought Volvo so they could use Volvo technology and engineering in their premium models not so they could use Ford engineering in Volvo models.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ford bought Volvo so they could use Volvo technology and engineering in their premium models not so they could use Ford engineering in Volvo models.

Ha ha yea right:D Try telling that to an owner of a 1.6 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa-with-built-in-bike-rack/26314831

NTY2Y2ZhMGVkOWFhM2M3ZGI4MDcwNTIwMjkzNWVkZDO40w2gI38ZpS3RuDiSgMqjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA0MzE3MjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Don't think I've ever seen one of these in person before, but remember the ads when they were new

Tax and test into next year anyway, €1999 (too much, but still)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ha ha yea right:D Try telling that to an owner of a 1.6 diesel.

Try reading my post again, "Premium Models" does not include a 1.6 diesel.

• Advertisement

Hard to know tbh, I think Ford thought it would give them a toehold in premium territory but instead they dragged Volvo down to Ford levels and then sold out. I’m probably wrong.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa-with-built-in-bike-rack/26314831

NTY2Y2ZhMGVkOWFhM2M3ZGI4MDcwNTIwMjkzNWVkZDO40w2gI38ZpS3RuDiSgMqjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA0MzE3MjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Don't think I've ever seen one of these in person before, but remember the ads when they were new

a cool feature but when no other manufacturer copied it, you know it’s a dead end.

Hard to know tbh, I think Ford thought it would give them a toehold in premium territory but instead they dragged Volvo down to Ford levels and then sold out. I’m probably wrong.

Volvo is a tried and trusted brand, their fleeting association with Ford did nothing to diminish the reputation, quite the opposite in my opinion.

Google is your friend, everyone can be an expert.

Drive a 10 or 12 year old well maintained Volvo and find out for yourself.

Volvo is a tried and trusted brand, their fleeting association with Ford did nothing to diminish the reputation, quite the opposite in my opinion.

Google is your friend, everyone can be an expert.

Drive a 10 or 12 year old well maintained Volvo and find out for yourself.
    I’ve owned proper rear drive Volvo’s, I’ve driven pre Ford and post Ford Volvo’s. You can feel the difference

I’ve owned proper rear drive Volvo’s, I’ve driven pre Ford and post Ford Volvo’s. You can feel the difference

Thanks for sharing Andrew, that's what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Corolla, even worse :pac:

How very dare you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Putting shopping into my mates missusususs one last week and I thought the inside panel in the boot looked off. Then I discover an air compressor behind it. Shows the ingenuity of Opel when they wanted to bother rather than give us the Insignia.

Try reading my post again, "Premium Models" does not include a 1.6 diesel.

What exactly is a Ford premium model? Please don't tell me a Chav Vignale Mondeo diesel is a premium model.

No you're not, it's exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

1999 nissan micra

795 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21987966

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    1999 nissan micra

795 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21987966

Way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Way overpriced.

I dunno really, very very hard get a clean tested one for anything less than 500.

Rust has killed off loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I dunno really, very very hard get a clean tested one for anything less than 500.

Rust has killed off loads of them.

^^ this, I was looking for a nice clean 3 door for herself for a while - couldn't find one worth buying at all.

then I made the enormous mistake of buying a 08 bluesmokegenerator mini for bangernomics money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Way overpriced.

Nop if it is a clean example ;)

Cheensbo wrote: »
    ^^ this, I was looking for a nice clean 3 door for herself for a while - couldn't find one worth buying at all.

then I made the enormous mistake of buying a 08 bluesmokegenerator mini for bangernomics money :(

Love the scratched out bit...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Had an 05 V50 until a few months ago, petrol. Loved it & serviced regularly etc, electric gremlins set in one day & she never recovered, dash went dead & wouldn't turn over at all Ended up scrapping it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-jaguar-x-type/26376343

OTI2YjhkOWU3Yzc2MjM5MjUxYmIxYWNlMTFiNDQ0Nzkb4HIjG7XMi3-FZfcgvdDwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA5ODc2MjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cheap tax diesel X type with NCT til July 2021, €1950

Still a good looking car and especially in facelift guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And the owner had the good taste to not put a leaping cat on the bonnet.

Those later X Types look quite smart. Outside at least.

The double din unit really smartens up the interior on them IMO

dvd-jaguar-navigation-map-s-xj-xj8-xjr-x-type-satnav-europe-update-select-your-dvd-pack-2-dvds-98-p[ekm]499x330[ekm].png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The critics and purists will say its a Mondeo with a fancy body etc. but that X Type looks fantastic and your average Joe Soap won't see past the exterior. Would have one over your common as muck A4, 520d any day of the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement