Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vuelta a España stage 10: Castro Urdiales to Suances (185km)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

MPFGLB wrote: »
    YOu are missing the point ...I accept the season is unusual

My point is if Roglic rode for INEOS he would get lambasted because INEOS cant have top performances and be given the same leyway that other riders are given ...not on social media and not by some here

even when they do stuff that is extraordinary .
    Roglic flying now is extraordinary given what he has ridden so far this season
    Fair enough. I find the raised eyebrows after every good performance (whatever the team) tiresome

I don’t think Roglic is too extraordinary here fwiw. Just the best rider by some distance over a middling field. The only question was how would the loss in the TDF affect him

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Rode a very hard Dauphine , a really really hard Tour , Worlds, LBL and now with all these riders who were not top at the Tour and he is leaving them behind

Good job he doesnt ride for Ineos I suppose

He’s not leaving them behind really though , it’s a few seconds. There are lads who you’ve barely ever heard of only couple minutes down. Lance and the boys would be 10 mins up on all but podium at this stage in a Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

retalivity wrote: »
    Sammy B last man home just behind his temmate 12mins down.

Expect RTE to lead with that.

That doesn't bode well for tomorrow and Sunday :(
    Ackermann was only ~6 minutes behind Roglic, so a fit & healthy Sam shouldn't have struggled as much as he did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

That doesn't bode well for tomorrow and Sunday :(
    Ackermann was only ~6 minutes behind Roglic, so a fit & healthy Sam shouldn't have struggled as much as he did today.

He was saving a bit back for Sunday’s breakaway and solo assault on L’Angliru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Inquitus wrote: »
    Stage results:

QCkb8Xp.png

EllwsEAX0AYBa2Y?format=jpg&name=medium
    Is it just me or does Roglic looks like when you buy your Mark Wahlberg on "Wish"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Paddigol

My point is if Roglic rode for INEOS he would get lambasted because INEOS cant have top performances and be given the same leyway that other riders are given ...not on social media and not by some here

It's been done to death at this stage. When TJV come out with the sort of pontificating crap we got from Sky for years you'll find people wishing them ill just as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't even try compare this to Dennis winning the Cima Coppi. And a JV doctor isnt currently trying to rob laptops our of courtrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't even try compare this to Dennis winning the Cima Coppi. And a JV doctor isnt currently trying to rob laptops our of courtrooms

To be fair its not Ineos's fault yer man has gone off the deepend!

He was very consistent last season also from Tirreno til Lombardy

He's been getting panned in the Belgian (social) media since the World's road race as apparently he's the reason van Aert isn't world champion or the tour of flanders winner. So it's nice to see him back winning, especially in Liège.
    It's some reaction to his tour loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Roglic is an incredible athlete, not just physically but mentally too. A lot of riders would not have come back from that defeat in the tour, he's a class act, they way he congratulated Podgacar having lost the ITT in the tour is exemplary. I have nothing but respect for him. and then to win LBL just a few weeks later, top top attitude, and a gent to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Chivito550 wrote: »
    He said it was the right call, as he was never going to get away with that with camera angles everywhere these days. He said, that carry on happened all the time in his day, and they got away with it due to lack of camera angles.
    Didn't he say something similar during the Tour?
    Something about if there had been high resolution slow motion multiple cameras and helicopter cameras in his day, he and most of his sprinting rivals would still be paying the fines! :D

Is there a real case to be made here for keeping La Vuelta in this spot in the calendar going forward? With the Tour and Giro going back to their usual spots.

Usually we have worlds and Lombardia and the races in the run up to it to finish out the year. If it was in this spot it might attract a more competitive field?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Is there a real case to be made here for keeping La Vuelta in this spot in the calendar going forward? With the Tour and Giro going back to their usual spots.

Usually we have worlds and Lombardia and the races in the run up to it to finish out the year. If it was in this spot it might attract a more competitive field?

They should be in the off season by now. Usually the season starts again with the Tour Down Under in January.

It's too risky with the weather as well. They're getting away with it this year. But you'd imagine if it was on at this time every year, there would be a high risk of snow/storms every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Inquitus wrote: »
    To be fair its not Ineos's fault yer man has gone off the deepend!

No but he is one story in a long list which is why Ineos get jumped on quicker than other teams when a rider performs above expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

TGD wrote: »
    Did Kelly give a view on the disqualification yesterday?

https://twitter.com/TippFMSport/status/1322116419295784961?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No but he is one story in a long list which is why Ineos get jumped on quicker than other teams when a rider performs above expectation

Hey its not like Astana haven't had any stories like Fuglsang and Lusenko and Dr Ferrari in the Danish press recently or Vino and the pay off not to mention his uncle and the blood bags

Or TJV and their Robobank aluminerie ....lots of stories there that out do missing laptops

Sky/Ineos are the only ones getting heat as in a British parliamentary enquiry which are a dime a dozen ..and because they take more scrutiny

But scratch many teams even MS and Trek and you will find stories as bad as any jiffy bag

Jesus such ridiculous arguments to beat Ineos up.There is none so blind as those who will not see

If you argue Roglic is flying because he is so good when most riders who rode the Tour at top level have stopped due to fatigue (Dumoulin ,Landa, Porte ) but Dennis cannot be good even though he came second to Bernal in the Tour de Suisse 2019 with several mountain stages and beating climbers then that is just the kind of bias crap I cannot listen to as there is no point

And I am not even an Ineos fan

I am out of here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Interesting one there on the stage gaps. Some teams/riders protested today because the commissiers changed the stage ruling from a flat to a hilly stage without telling anyone

On a flat stage there must be a 3 second gap between last rider in group and first in next group for it to be counted. For hilly stages the gap is only one second

They went with one second. INEOS and EF not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

If you argue Roglic is flying because he is so good when most riders who rode the Tour at top level have stopped due to fatigue (Dumoulin ,Landa, Porte ) but Dennis cannot be good even though he came second to Bernal in the Tour de Suisse 2019 with several mountain stages and beating climbers then that is just the kind of bias crap I cannot listen to as there is no point

Had a look at the current GC standings. As far as I can tell you have to go down to Vlasov in 15th place to find someone who wasn't in the Tour de France. So basically Roglic is better than other cyclists who also rode the Tour.

Advertisement