Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've also been doubling down on PC releases and have been really good in that area, outside of the DMC 5 update bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd now be very surprised to see a disc based console next gen.

If so that means no sales from countries with bad internet... which is most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.gamesradar.com/far-cry-6-delayed-now-launching-between-april-2021-and-march-2022/?utm_content=buffer8ca06&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer_grtw

Far Cry 6 delayed. Was supposed to be mid-Feb 2021, now just between April 2021 and March 2022. Rainbox Six Quarantine now earmarked for same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If so that means no sales from countries with bad internet... which is most of them.

"most of them" don't account for most of the sales, at some point soon it won't be worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Penn wrote: »
    Far Cry 6 delayed. Was supposed to be mid-Feb 2021, now just between April 2021 and March 2022.
    Probably working on a much much much bigger super massively open world ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Probably working on a much much much bigger super massively open world ;)

Filled with towers and the same 3 missions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Filled with towers and the same 3 missions

:D

In fairness to Ubi, they removed the towers (apart from one) in FC5 which was a positive for me.

What I would like them to do is have a Far Cry game with main missions only. No side missions, climbing towers etc. It would be a nice change.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    :D

In fairness to Ubi, they removed the towers (apart from one) in FC5 which was a positive for me.

What I would like them to do is have a Far Cry game with main missions only. No side missions, climbing towers etc. It would be a nice change.

Or just remind Ubi that the Witcher 3 happened and side quests don't have to be **** anymore.

Honestly thay aren't the worst. They've taken the right approach with Assassins creed and RPG'ed it up and their open world games are at least embracing the fun of an open world rather than being po-faced dreck like the original Watchdogs even if they haven't hit the level of player expression that BotW did.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

Any word on GTA 6 / New Skyrim on PS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Teothican wrote: »

Quite a lot of unconfirmed info on this GamesRadar article about GTA VI, but as said, unconfirmed so take with a bag of salt. If true, it sounds like a proper successor to Vice City, and is indeed set in Vice City and some other location based on Rio de Janero. Another article speculating that it'll be 2023/24 before we see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wanna talk about Cyberpunk taking a long time, its been 2013 since GTAV was released...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Teothican wrote: »

No idea on GTA6, but the only news on Elder Scrolls 6 is that MS bought the company that makes it. The deal hasn't gone through yet, so people are still thinking that it'll come out on PS5, but I can't see it happening. Pretty sure the only reason that they haven't announced that it's exclusive to Xbox is because they're not legally allowed to make decisions for a company that they don't technically own yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wanna talk about Cyberpunk taking a long time, its been 2013 since GTAV was released...

And Skyrim was 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I'd now be very surprised to see a disc based console next gen.

Easy there Michael Pachter, their digital sales are uniquely high because their old games sell tons of copies for $5, their new games are skewed more towards physical sales and this is a company with one of the biggest digital sales

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Easy there Michael Pachter, their digital sales are uniquely high because their old games sell tons of copies for $5, their new games are skewed more towards physical sales and this is a company with one of the biggest digital sales

Even so, the current generation is already pushing past 60% digital. At some point, it will make more financial sense for Sony/MS to just go digital only.

Even so, the current generation is already pushing past 60% digital. At some point, it will make more financial sense for Sony/MS to just go digital only.

I think they'll need to enable some form of third party sellers before it fully occurs. Eg on pc, I can buy from plenty of sources and the keys will activate on steam etc. Allows for more competitive pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Poor Internet and data caps are a problem for an all digital console. I'm sure Internet will have improved in places over the next 5 or 6 years when we start taking about the next next gen. But there will always be a decent percentage of people with either slow Internet or restrictive data caps.
    The latest Call of Duty game is over 200gb in size I think I read somewhere. For some data plans in America that's 4 months data allowance.

Poor Internet and data caps are a problem for an all digital console. I'm sure Internet will have improved in places over the next 5 or 6 years when we start taking about the next next gen. But there will always be a decent percentage of people with either slow Internet or restrictive data caps.
    The latest Call of Duty game is over 200gb in size I think I read somewhere. For some data plans in America that's 4 months data allowance.

Even for disc installs, unless you never intend to play online you're not safe.

COD patches are huge and frequent, they've split the game now to allow you to only install the part you want but they're still huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In fighting game news:

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Reload+ went on sale for €3 & got a huge netcode update.

Result: https://steamcharts.com/app/348550
    It has surpassed Street Fighter V's current userbase.

If you like fighting games that are loud & stupid, please give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So there's yet another game on the way that's set in the Vampire: The Masquerade/World of Darkness universe. And naturally it's, uh, a battle royale game.

It'll be the debut of Swedish developers Sharkmob, due late 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got the Argos Gamer catalogue, some interesting stuff in there. Says you can

"Order Online. Go online to pre-order the latest games on PS5, Xbox Series X and Nintendo Switch. Argos.ie"

I can't see any preorder stuff on Argos Irish site though.

Some Next Gen Pricing:

AC Valhalla - 62.91 (same as current gen)
    AC Valhalla Gold Edition - 90.74
    Watch Dogs Legion - 60.49 (same as current gen)
    WD Legion Gold Edition 0 90.74
    NBA 2K21 - 72.59

PS5 - November 19th
    PS5 - 499.99
    PS5 Digital - 399.99
    All PS5 accessories will be available at rrp.

Xbox Series - November 10th
    Xbox Series X - 499.99
    Xbox Series S - 299.99

Probably copy/pasted, find/replace from the UK catalogue

CastorTroy wrote: »

Weird though as it's like an ad and specifically mentions the Irish store.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Weird though as it's like an ad and specifically mentions the Irish store.

ctrl+h
    argos.co.uk
    argos.ie

That would be my assumption anyway. Wouldn't say much proofreading was done.

Or I'd say more likely it pulls the values from database fields or somewhere that stores all the prices as well.
    So template is received with
    "Order Online. Go online to pre-order the latest games on PS5, Xbox Series X and Nintendo Switch. <site>"

But it is strange this isn't caught since it's well known you can't preorder on the Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wish the Argos IE site got the upgrade the UK site got years ago. Even if they disabled certain features, the design is antiquated at this stage.

Still, at least it has some function for browsing/reserving/checking stock & prices. When you compare some companies operating in both IE+UK you wonder why they even bother (e.g. B&Q, Homebase)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

One of the biggest problems with Argos is the staff always buy everything out when it comes to new consoles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will they allow any sort of pre-orders for the PS5? I've to try and get one for my nephews, and Argos is probably the only chance now.

Kiith wrote: »
    Will they allow any sort of pre-orders for the PS5? I've to try and get one for my nephews, and Argos is probably the only chance now.

Pretty sure someone mentioned their Argos employed GF/Friends/whatever had told them that Argos isn't getting much as it's all going to the UK.

Or that's some plausible deniability for when the Argos staff sneak off with the consoles before opening.

If they do have stock keep checking from the day before as the click and collect might show up then.

• Advertisement

Bit of an end of an era here, Sega has had to sell off their Arcade business, due to it being destroyed by Covid. I remember going into one in Tokyo, it was incredible, until that moment almost every other arcade I'd been in was basically a converted storeroom, and this dwarfed them all put together.

See here.

You'd wonder if Sega are still a target for MS to purchase with this news.

Advertisement