Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

martyos121 wrote: »
    Game Dev Tycoon is another quality mobile game if you haven’t already tried it Zero, strikes a perfect balance between fun and simulation and pretty much everything is customisable. Not free but it’s given me plenty of hours of entertainment, and it’s very replayable too.

Looked it up, actually sounds like a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nah, i had a look at that and hitman go before, not my cuppa. I'm remembering why i deleted fallout shelter so many times before, the thing is addictive as ****. Just one quick check on resources, of might as well do a quest, try make a baby and make more resources....

TMI?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    TMI?

TMI would be having a system in place where when a new female arrives at my vault, i send her straight to the living quarters and make her wait for whatever male i can spare at that moment to introduce her to Vault life. She's all happy with the situation but still feels dark :(

The downside is having a bunch of kids strolling around being useless as i can't put them to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    TMI would be having a system in place where when a new female arrives at my vault, i send her straight to the living quarters and make her wait for whatever male i can spare at that moment to introduce her to Vault life. She's all happy with the situation but still feels dark :(

The downside is having a bunch of kids strolling around being useless as i can't put them to work.

For the first few words of that I was about to ring the police and report Fritzel the second....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For the first few words of that I was about to ring the police and report Fritzel the second....

An overseer has to make tough decisions to make the Vaultv great. I say that but I'm in a bad way now. Too many mouths to feed, can't generate food fast enough. I've flown too close to the sun..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can you eject the kids? They seem like the problem here...

Can you eject the kids? They seem like the problem here...

I haven't tried but i need to watch them closely because the second they come of age, they are put straight to work to generate sweet sweet resources..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of mobile games, whoever made "AFK Arena" sure has pumped a tonne of money into YouTube ads. Multiple formats, and even paid Elijah Wood or Markiplier to star in a bevvy. They're before nearly every vid I've watched and ye gods guys, back it up a little.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Speaking of mobile games, whoever made "AFK Arena" sure has pumped a tonne of money into YouTube ads. Multiple formats, and even paid Elijah Wood or Markiplier to star in a bevvy. They're before nearly every vid I've watched and ye gods guys, back it up a little.

OMG you're playing AFK Arena too, check out my latest waifu, she's a defender type but also serious **** fodder for before I cry myself to sleep at night.

Those adverts are like a double whammy of annoying. I mean being advertised PoS mobile gacha game before every video is bad enough but the veins in me head stand out because of the AFK Arena name where it's obviously been named by a marketing team that has no ****ing idea what AFK actually means but it sounds cool and the 'Gamerz' use it and they were probably chinese with only a basic grasp of english.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Off topic - but its possible to get YouTube premium for €1.30 per month using revolut. Its a genuine game changer. no more ads, and the ability to have clips play when your phone screen is off improve the whole experience immeasurably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Is Elijah Woods expensive?

I’ve been playing a game called Sniper Strike. I’d normally just stop when the lives run out rather than play the adverts but I got hooked on the game even though it is too easy.

Anyways my question is about the adverts.

They are are all for app me chat claim you can will real and significant amounts of cash. Bunch of toases dancing about acting like they won the lotto.

I ignored them knowing there is a catch - you win pennies and lose them regularly or something - but I saw so many that I got curious as to how Apple would allow apps like that and why PayPal don’t object to the use of it in the adverts.

Some of apps are indeed on the App Store but none claim you can win real money and none of the preview windows show them as slot machine games. They seem like endless runner games or just puzzle games.

I thought Apple test all the apps before approving them for the store - would they not object to apps that do not do what is advertised? Doesn’t Apple have rules about in app adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Off topic - but its possible to get YouTube premium for €1.30 per month using revolut. Its a genuine game changer. no more ads, and the ability to have clips play when your phone screen is off improve the whole experience immeasurably.

how is this possible checked the app and cant see it

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

recyclops wrote: »
    how is this possible checked the app and cant see it

Its not via revolut itself. It is by using revolut as a payment method, but setting your location (via VPN) and billing address to India when signing up. You then pay indian price.

I do think it could cause problems with your Google account itself - if you want to then purchase stuff on the play store and similar.

What is on YouTube that is worth paying for?

I’m not being snarky - honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

What is on YouTube that is worth paying for?

I’m not being snarky - honest question.

Not much but Youtube Premium includes Youtube Music so no more need for spotify, deezer etc. as well as no ads and media playback while your phone screen is locked.

For the small price through a vpn it's worth it.

Not much but Youtube Premium includes Youtube Music so no more need for spotify, deezer etc. as well as no ads and media playback while your phone screen is locked.

For the small price through a vpn it's worth it.

I’ve never used those music services or Apple Music but we were subscribed to Amazon Music for a few months and I thought that was very good. Every album and song I looked for was there.

I was actually going to trial Apple Music before to see how it compares to Amazon before picking between them.

I had not considered any others. What is good about YouTube Music? And why do you need a VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You could just use Youtube Vanced, if you are on android. Same effect (no ads, will play videos with screen off).

Is Elijah Woods expensive?

yes, he has a ferocious cocaine hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

as well as no ads and media playback while your phone screen is locked.

I get that functionality from Newpipe app. Popup player, audio only, download options, no ads and even a skip-silence feature which is great for podcasts.

• Advertisement

yes, he has a ferocious cocaine hobbit.

You can’t say something like that.

“Hobbit” is an unacceptable nomenclature

Wouldn’t bring a junkie mean he is cheap?

You can’t say something like that.

“Hobbit” is an unacceptable nomenclature

Wouldn’t bring a junkie mean he is cheap?

https://tenor.com/XGfE.gif

I didn’t miss the joke but apparently you missed both of mine

https://images.app.goo.gl/C3UBm2PYEVmk8wbd9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really impressed with the oddball indie gem Paradise Killer. Wonderfully eclectic mix of influences, a delightfully garish art style, and an absolutely stellar soundtrack. It’s a strange open world detective game / walking simulator / visual novel all blended together in a way that works surprisingly well. Had initially dismissed it as another Phoenix Wright / Danganronpa type (and I really disliked Danganronpa) based on screenshots, but it’s a different beast entirely - albeit with obvious inspiration from such games. Always excited to see open world games that do things a little bit differently, so this has been right up my alley. It has smart, eccentric writing and world-building to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've seen the Elijah Wood ads but I've also seen those awful, awful amateur-y ads with terrible actors for the same game.

It's weird, they're running ads with a big Hollywood name and proper CGI but also running amateur hour ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I noticed the tile for Far Cry 3 on my XB1 has changed. Vaas is gone and replaced by someone out of Watch Dogs Legion:

e1d5qh8.jpg?2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I noticed the tile for Far Cry 3 on my XB1 has changed. Vaas is gone and replaced by someone out of Watch Dogs Legion:

e1d5qh8.jpg?2

Yes, apparently "Dedsec" has hacked all the ubisoft games and also hacked their prices. Not a bad advertisement, even if the sale doesn't approach the usual holiday sales.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, apparently "Dedsec" has hacked all the ubisoft games and also hacked their prices. Not a bad advertisement, even if the sale doesn't approach the usual holiday sales.

HA gg Ubi.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I've seen the Elijah Wood ads but I've also seen those awful, awful amateur-y ads with terrible actors for the same game.

It's weird, they're running ads with a big Hollywood name and proper CGI but also running amateur hour ads too.

Is Elijah Wood “a big Hollywood name”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Is Elijah Wood “a big Hollywood name”?
    yes

Advertisement