Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

State exams Nov 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

km79 wrote: »
    So.............how are these exams going to go ahead if the country heads the way it is going by mid November ..............”subject fo public health advice “...........

I think they'll be going with re-predicted grades for repeats. So teachers will have to do some serious reflection and get it right this time.
    We already have the calculated-grades software so that's not going to cause any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Treppen wrote: »
    I think they'll be going with re-predicted grades for repeats. So teachers will have to do some serious reflection and get it right this time.
    We already have the calculated-grades software so that's not going to cause any issues.

I don't think so. How are teachers going to predict grades based on predicted grades? They wouldn't be marking any other direction other than up. Also I suspect legal challenges would be mounted if the exams don't take place.

The vast majority of schools will only have 1-2 students at most sitting any exams. Given that we already have full classrooms for 6 hours a day, I can't see why they would cancel the exams when it's likely to be one student and an examiner in a room in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rosita

I don't think so. How are teachers going to predict grades based on predicted grades? They wouldn't be marking any other direction other than up. Also I suspect legal challenges would be mounted if the exams don't take place.

The vast majority of schools will only have 1-2 students at most sitting any exams. Given that we already have full classrooms for 6 hours a day, I can't see why they would cancel the exams when it's likely to be one student and an examiner in a room in most cases.

Pretty sure the comment about predicted grades was tongue in cheek - on the other aspect, judging by the reaction to the results originally I'd say there'll be many schools with nobody doing the LC and a a minority with nearly every student doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

Anyone know if the plan is to still run with them even if the schools are closed / there's some form of industrial action?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

8k71ps wrote: »
    Anyone know if the plan is to still run with them even if the schools are closed / there's some form of industrial action?
    Having an excuse not to run them is exactly what the government is looking for, but given that the official line continues to be that schools aren’t going to be closing, it’s hard to see how they could justify keeping schools open all day for hundreds of students but can’t keep them open in the evenings so that a handful of former students can sit exams.

• Advertisement

8k71ps wrote: »

Can't imagine how industrial action would affect them. SEC are separate from schools/DES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Can't imagine how industrial action would affect them. SEC are separate from schools/DES.
    They are hoping that teachers will supervise in their own schools. I can't imagine those appointed will pass a picket in their own centres if strike is planned, or even muted, for weekends.

They are hoping that teachers will supervise in their own schools. I can't imagine those appointed will pass a picket in their own centres if strike is planned, or even muted, for weekends.

Teachers are paid as contract workers for the duration of the exams. They are not working for the SEC in a teaching capacity. Pickets on schools would be during school hours. They are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Teachers are paid as contract workers for the duration of the exams. They are not working for the SEC in a teaching capacity. Pickets on schools would be during school hours. They are two different things.
    To be fair, that depends on the picket. If it’s a 24 hour strike, there might be no picketing going on in the evening but entering the premises is still passing the picket.
    If it’s one of those pointless lunchtime protests, then it wouldn’t matter.

There won't be nuthin done about any ballot till after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Going to be doing the aide job for this. I know literally nothing about it only the start date. Done the calculated grades aide but entirely different.

Anyone with experience want to outline what it entails? Thanks if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Going to be doing the aide job for this. I know literally nothing about it only the start date. Done the calculated grades aide but entirely different.

You will be doing EVERYTHING
    Including opening and closing the school

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EX-82108748.pdf

Thanks for that. Doesn't actually sound too bad to be honest. We've only a handful doing it anyway.

Thanks for that. Doesn't actually sound too bad to be honest. We've only a handful doing it anyway.

Only a handful in most schools I’d say
    Only a handful in all 3 schools in my town
    And yet all 3 schools will have to be opened
    Daft

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Going to do this in school as the usual Exam Aide but I am splitting the role. We only have 5/6 sitting the exams - some doing 1/2 subjects and others doing all but it is too much to be asked, I feel, of an Exam Aide. The first week, for example, I'd only have one evening off and there all day Saturday and Sunday. The exams run late into the evening after a long day of teaching and with other commitments etc. it is challenging. Also, did you see about the collection of the exam paper boxes on the Sunday - days in which exams are scheduled to take place? How are we to be in 2 places at once? I have emailed them for clarity but was sent back the circular and told the answer is within it.

SEC paying an Exam Aide, an SEC superintendent who doesn't supervise, a supervisor and an attendant. I think it is such squandering of money tbh. The Exam Aide and the SEC Superintendent sitting there, doing some paperwork but mainly all their own work while a supervisor sits in and supervises potentially one student? Also... no Post Office will be open at the conclusion of exams, so when does the SEC superintendent return the completed exams? I think the plans were put in place when they expected there to be much more sitting them but they need to look at the amount of personnel involved I think? Localised exam centres should have been used really.

LW2018 wrote: »
    Going to do this in school as the usual Exam Aide but I am splitting the role. We only have 5/6 sitting the exams - some doing 1/2 subjects and others doing all but it is too much to be asked, I feel, of an Exam Aide. The first week, for example, I'd only have one evening off and there all day Saturday and Sunday. The exams run late into the evening after a long day of teaching and with other commitments etc. it is challenging. Also, did you see about the collection of the exam paper boxes on the Sunday - days in which exams are scheduled to take place? How are we to be in 2 places at once? I have emailed them for clarity but was sent back the circular and told the answer is within it.

SEC paying an Exam Aide, an SEC superintendent who doesn't supervise, a supervisor and an attendant. I think it is such squandering of money tbh. The Exam Aide and the SEC Superintendent sitting there, doing some paperwork but mainly all their own work while a supervisor sits in and supervises potentially one student? Also... no Post Office will be open at the conclusion of exams, so when does the SEC superintendent return the completed exams? I think the plans were put in place when they expected there to be much more sitting them but they need to look at the amount of personnel involved I think? Localised exam centres should have been used really.

100%
    Crazy crazy crazy waste of money . 3 schools in our town . Handful from each. All 3 schools opening, need staffing , electricity , heating

Regarding the time off and late evenings etc
    Also correct BUT if you apply for it you are agreeing to it .
    I do wonder what there plan is if nobody in a school applies for it . I know I wouldn’t even consider it tbh

Hadn’t even spotted the EA also needs to recruit supervisors ??????
    I can see schools struggling to get anyone

100%
    Crazy crazy crazy waste of money . 3 schools in our town . Handful from each. All 3 schools opening, need staffing , electricity , heating

Regarding the time off and late evenings etc
    Also correct BUT if you apply for it you are agreeing to it .
    I do wonder what there plan is if nobody in a school applies for it . I know I wouldn’t even consider it tbh

Hadn’t even spotted the EA also needs to recruit supervisors ??????
    I can see schools struggling to get anyone

I've said I'll oversee it and do some of the evenings as the school's EA... I know I will have a number of different supervisors over the 3 weeks but there's nothing else that can be done. Some might want to upskill for the CV so I'm happy to share the EA role with them but for school organisational purposes I think no more than 2 EAs are desirable. Such squandered money that could go into so much more! Keeping schools open that late, holding up the cleaning staff from finishing their duties etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see some change to the plans on the SEC's behalf when school's struggle to get the personnel required. I know it is handy for a bit of extra Christmas cash for people so that might be helpful but they are long days for staff - especially with no chance to correct work during the invigilation of the exams??

From previous invigilation when the post office started to act the maggot I stored completed exams with the exam papers in the Garda station.

Is the EA expected to recruit superintendents from existing staff? That's ridiculous no? Can't see many candidates emerging from our place.

And how does one go about "sharing" the role also? Gonna be a long two weeks on my own doing it but could do with the cash. We've only a handful doing it so I'm not sure if we will be required to be there for every might yet.

• Advertisement

Is the EA expected to recruit superintendents from existing staff? That's ridiculous no? Can't see many candidates emerging from our place.

And how does one go about "sharing" the role also? Gonna be a long two weeks on my own doing it but could do with the cash. We've only a handful doing it so I'm not sure if we will be required to be there for every might yet.

Yep I read the circular earlier
    Exam aide has to sort it all pretty much
    The sec appointed superintendent seems to do damn all !

Have you received the matrix of students sitting it and the exams they are taking? It came to schools last Thursday. That'll tell you how many nights you have to be in for... and a Sunday trip to collect the week of exam papers too - tight enough turnaround to get supervisors together

Have you received the matrix of students sitting it and the exams they are taking? It came to schools last Thursday. That'll tell you how many nights you have to be in for... and a Sunday trip to collect the week of exam papers too - tight enough turnaround to get supervisors together

No, haven't received anything yet only got the call the other day. Will find out Monday I think. My only concern is the hiring superintendents part, I don't think many if any at all will do that in our place.

No, haven't received anything yet only got the call the other day. Will find out Monday I think. My only concern is the hiring superintendents part, I don't think many if any at all will do that in our place.

I think the SEC themselves will run into difficulty getting a superintendent on their behalf for each school. I’ll be in the same boat with my gang... between after-school study, grinds, families, personal commitments etc. and the fact that they’ll get about 30 euro after tax for the session will not appeal to them. I’ve no exams into week 4 luckily. We’ll see what comes of this week. Twice I’ve emailed the address in the circular and they’ve yet to come back to me so I don’t think they’ve this completed organised on their end. Still can’t work out the Sunday issue... collecting the exam paper box on a Sunday for the next week of exams ... is it very early in the morning to be in school to open up etc? Can’t be in two places at once! Will you be opening and locking up over the weekend exams and the late night finishes?

I think the SEC themselves will run into difficulty getting a superintendent on their behalf for each school. I’ll be in the same boat with my gang... between after-school study, grinds, families, personal commitments etc. and the fact that they’ll get about 30 euro after tax for the session will not appeal to them. I’ve no exams into week 4 luckily. We’ll see what comes of this week. Twice I’ve emailed the address in the circular and they’ve yet to come back to me so I don’t think they’ve this completed organised on their end. Still can’t work out the Sunday issue... collecting the exam paper box on a Sunday for the next week of exams ... is it very early in the morning to be in school to open up etc? Can’t be in two places at once! Will you be opening and locking up over the weekend exams and the late night finishes?

I called today over a small query and the woman was very helpful to be fair. I’m not sure about the Sunday query but I’m hoping my distribution centre isn’t too far away. A bit of help from management might sort it.

I won’t be opening and closing the building, facilities management will be doing this thankfully.

Am I correct in saying we can get the external superintendent to invigilate exams with only one student in it?

I called today over a small query and the woman was very helpful to be fair. I’m not sure about the Sunday query but I’m hoping my distribution centre isn’t too far away. A bit of help from management might sort it.

I won’t be opening and closing the building, facilities management will be doing this thankfully.

Am I correct in saying we can get the external superintendent to invigilate exams with only one student in it?

They got back to me eventually. The days of the collection of scripts means you have to appoint a different EA for those days. That’s what the email back to me said. We, as EA, appoint the superintendents for the exams who will be in the room with the students. Are you appointing an Attendant? I’ve keys for school so I don’t mind the opening element really. I’ve split the role though with another because I just can’t give over that many evenings and the split works perfectly.

They got back to me eventually. The days of the collection of scripts means you have to appoint a different EA for those days. That’s what the email back to me said. We, as EA, appoint the superintendents for the exams who will be in the room with the students. Are you appointing an Attendant? I’ve keys for school so I don’t mind the opening element really. I’ve split the role though with another because I just can’t give over that many evenings and the split works perfectly.

I've made a few calls now and they're been fairly responsive to be fair. OK so a different EA for them days. I've only one Sunday so not too bad that way. Yes getting one attendant I think, may aswell. Its only working out as 9 days in total for me, two at weekend. No sign of any further information will it be sent to the school?

I've made a few calls now and they're been fairly responsive to be fair. OK so a different EA for them days. I've only one Sunday so not too bad that way. Yes getting one attendant I think, may aswell. Its only working out as 9 days in total for me, two at weekend. No sign of any further information will it be sent to the school?

I’ve three Sundays to collect papers... the Sunday before the beginning of the exams... then the Sunday before week 2 and the Sunday before Week 3. I’ve no exams in week 4 but all final papers are collected for week 3 and 4. Going to look into an attendant too because they may as well benefit from it with payment... more info will come to school I’d say this week or early next week to finalise things. I think the depot for me is about 40 mins away. We’ll have to be given a letter to grant us access for the exam papers

I’ve three Sundays to collect papers... the Sunday before the beginning of the exams... then the Sunday before week 2 and the Sunday before Week 3. I’ve no exams in week 4 but all final papers are collected for week 3 and 4. Going to look into an attendant too because they may as well benefit from it with payment... more info will come to school I’d say this week or early next week to finalise things. I think the depot for me is about 40 mins away. We’ll have to be given a letter to grant us access for the exam papers

Sorry but what do you mean by "all final papers are collected for week 3 and 4"? I've no exam in week four either so just curious.

• Advertisement

Sorry but what do you mean by "all final papers are collected for week 3 and 4"? I've no exam in week four either so just curious.

We collect on the 15th for Week one exams, collect again on the 22nd for Week 2 exams and then on the 29th for the exams in Week 3 and Week 4 - we have none in week four either so it'll be less exam papers collected. It is counted as a day of Exam Aide work though (as far as I can work out) and you can claim for travel expenses too

Advertisement