Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toilet draining slowly

• 24-10-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Changed the toilet in the ensuite the other day, the waste pipe comes out the side of the chimney breast where it drops down to ground level.

Pipe is connected to the toilet with a 90 degree bend, replaced that also as the rubber was worn on the old one.

However now when I flush the toilet the water rises to the top and then slowly drops down over about 40 seconds. If you put any tissue in it, it wont flush down just stays in the bowl.

Removed the toilet from the 90 degree bend and flooded the bathroom, checked the bend and the black pipe and all are clear.

Plunged the toilet to be sure and that is also clear (flushed it into a bucket while it was pulled out and it flushed perfect.

The shower is right next to it and the drain from that also goes into the pipe in the chimney breast just below the toilet waste pipe. Checked the shore outside when the shower was running and water was freely moving.

Slightly baffled and will be calling a plumber in but just wanted to check and see if I'm doing something stupid before calling one in.

Pics below, cheers!

Forgot to add when I flush the toilet it takes about a minute for it to hit the drain outside and when it does its only a small flow.

530429.jpg

530430.jpg

530431.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What drop angle is the black waste pipe at? Looks to be quite level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Ill check, we actually sloped it a bit more as it was level when we took off the old toilet.

Edit: Slope is about 10 degrees. Just doesn't look it in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

And there was no issue with the previous toilet?

When you flushed the toilet into the bucket was the white 90 degree bend fitted to it?

Another test would be to turn up the 90 degree bend temporarily on the end of the black pipe and see is it taking a bucket of water freely.

I came across a case once where a poorly vented waste pipe network was not evacuating the waste fast enough for efficient flushing, but the symptoms you describe would seem too profound for this theory.

I think that white 90 degree bend should be looked at for any evidence of obstruction. Is there any chance the seal is fouled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

had similar with a new loo under the stairs.

Started out fine, but over time the flush started filling the bowl.

As it was downstairs. and the waste pipe goes under the floor, then under the patio to the main sewer, there was no vent pipe. I lifted the plastic lid over the AJ (is that the proper term?) and flushed again, perfect! So, I figured it was to do with venting. Considered drilling a hole in the lid, but instead did a really good clean of the frame into which the lid sits - it had accumulated dirt and dust over time, and after all, it had worked properly when installed. This allowed sufficient air to pass through, solving the problem.

Now I keep that area free of the usual debris and no problem since.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    And there was no issue with the previous toilet?

When you flushed the toilet into the bucket was the white 90 degree bend fitted to it?

Another test would be to turn up the 90 degree bend temporarily on the end of the black pipe and see is it taking a bucket of water freely.

I came across a case once where a poorly vented waste pipe network was not evacuating the waste fast enough for efficient flushing, but the symptoms you describe would seem too profound for this theory.

I think that white 90 degree bend should be looked at for any evidence of obstruction. Is there any chance the seal is fouled?

Didnt have the bend on the toilet when flushing it into the bucket.

Will give the bucket of water into the white connector a go and see what happens, suppose that would be a way to confirm a blockage.

No issues at all, just was old and filthy so hence the change, the old toilet was a 10ltr, new one is a dual flush 6ltr one.

If you do the half flush it goes down fine, its just when you hold the button for the full flush it fills to the top and slowly lowers again, but any tissue in the toilet stay and just rises to the top with the water.

I can hear the water going through the black pipe.

This is the pan connector, we only bought it the other day and seals seemed fine, snug fit into the black pipe:
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/floplast-sp103-90-connector-white/15330

• Advertisement

Just an update, removed the black pipe from the main pipe in the chimney and low and behold between the toilet waste pipe and the shower drain pipe was completely blocked with toilet paper. Low enough to not see it through the black pipe but high enough to not affect the shower drain pipe.

Basically right in the middle, invisible.

Removed it all and now the toilet flushes like a dream.

Advertisement