Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damage to graves

Options
  • 26-10-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure if this is the place to post this. I’m not looking for monetary compensation or anything, just p***ed off about this and a reminder to everyone on here to regularly check family or friends graves and report any damage or thefts to the local authority.

I visited my brother and grandfather’s grave yesterday and noticed damage to the kerbing. I last visited the grave early October and there was no damage visible that day. There’s been no burials in the cemetery in recent years, and the grass looked like it was recently cut. I’m of the opinion that this was caused by a lawnmower, but other people I’ve shown it to reckon someone filed down the edges. This is a local authority owned graveyard and the plot was purchased in 1972. Kerbing is later 36 years old.

My address is listed on the headstone so if this was caused by lawnmower and the groundskeeper or whoever had of contacted me and said he hit the grave, I would have looked at it and disregarded it. What has me pissed off here us the fact that nobody contacted me. If I ever damaged a kerb on a grave, I (and I’m sure most people on here) would do whatever possible to contact the family and let them know.

If the other theory is correct that someone filed the edges of this kerb without permission, they had no right to go near it.

I have emailed the county council but don’t expect to hear back from them for a number of days, if at all. This is a screenshot from an overhead video I took. It looks worse from a distance and is noticeable upon entering the cemetery.

To everyone reading this, please visit your family and friends graves more regularly and report any damage to the local authority.

Advertisement