Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your setup?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

francois wrote: »
    I am intending to, and I have the turntable, need the stylus though

I read quite recently, that if 78 shellacs are played at all with incorrect stylus it damages the record, reason being the later needles are so thin they move around in the groove and it actually tears them up after a while.

Even an old 78 record player from the 70's may not be suitable, its the needle that's important.

Even with all that above in mind, the shellacs apparently have a limited playing lifespan, may be good idea to digitise once you source the player.

I am in the same boat currently, nothing to play them on safely and about 100 or so records.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Still have my 1210s from 1994, never given a spot of bother - just the usual stylus replacements etc over the years... only used these days for playing records, haven't mixed in a long time but do very much have the goo on me again of late - Vestax mixer been on the blink for a while, will either need to get that fixed if possible or invest in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭francois

I read quite recently, that if 78 shellacs are played at all with incorrect stylus it damages the record, reason being the later needles are so thin they move around in the groove and it actually tears them up after a while.

Even an old 78 record player from the 70's may not be suitable, its the needle that's important.

Even with all that above in mind, the shellacs apparently have a limited playing lifespan, may be good idea to digitise once you source the player.

I am in the same boat currently, nothing to play them on safely and about 100 or so records.

Some of the recrods are very rare, my grandfather was a musicologist, and there are field recodings from Africa and South America, I had to go into a deep dive into the French National Library music section to find out about some of them

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Music room currently doubling up as a work from home office, the pink binders in 1 of the pics are a rake of 78 shellacs from my French grandfather which I'm in the process of cataloging on Discogs

Yeah my music room has suffered the consequences of covid and become my home office too - I have used on and off for years to work from home at times but never permanent like now!

Some of the recrods are very rare, my grandfather was a musicologist, and there are field recodings from Africa and South America, I had to go into a deep dive into the French National Library music section to find out about some of them

From what I can ascertain, it is possible to modify a belt driven turntable to operate at 78 rpm, it means opening it up and building layers around where the belt pulls, increasing the actual speed of the turntable.

From further research I believe a correct Needle and stylus can be obtained to fit standard record players.

I have two belt driven Gemini turntables, one of these I am thinking will be sacrificed for this project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

From what I can ascertain, it is possible to modify a belt driven turntable to operate at 78 rpm, it means opening it up and building layers around where the belt pulls, increasing the actual speed of the turntable.

From further research I believe a correct Needle and stylus can be obtained to fit standard record players.

I have two belt driven Gemini turntables, one of these I am thinking will be sacrificed for this project.

If you're in Cork I have two basic belt drive Numark decks you could have for free if you wanted

If i get anywhere with the modification project of turntable i will surely help you out with digitising the collection making the turntable available to you chief.
    mordeith wrote: »
    If you're in Cork I have two basic belt drive Numark decks you could have for free if you wanted

Thank for offer chief, i have two Gemini belt driven turntables, i will attempt to do a Frankenstein job on one of those, i just need to find a bit of time to get into it, i have done the basic research and all seems possible, just need to push on with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Good luck. If you hit a wall a lot of the newer consumer turntables have a 78 option too. They are not that expensive either.

iamstop wrote: »
    Good luck. If you hit a wall a lot of the newer consumer turntables have a 78 option too. They are not that expensive either.

The only thing about turntables with modern needles is they will damage the shellac records.

You need a combination of the 78 rpm speed with correct needle wide enough for the groove so as to not damage record.

The only thing about turntables with modern needles is they will damage the shellac records.

You need a combination of the 78 rpm speed with correct needle wide enough for the groove so as to not damage record.

Correct. We addressed this earlier in the thread so I felt in unnecessary to reiterate. But, yes. Correct needle for the correct groove type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DanT88

How do?

Interested to see what gear most people on here use these day. There is so many options these days so just curious what format people are using.

Vinyl
    CDJs
    Serato
    Rekordbox
    Some controller
    USBs
    something else?

I have two (over 20 yrs old) Technics 1210s and just yesterday got a Pioneer DJM900NXS mixer (love me dub echos!).
    Before that I was using a (over 20 yrs old) Technics SH-DJ1200 mixer.
    I still only spin vinyl. Been tempted to dip the toes in the Serato vinyl controller type system but so far still just vinyl.

I use Pioneer XDJ-700 and KRK Classic 5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

PXL-20201205-205117673-MP.jpg

My setup...

Love it. Decks on the inside, CDs outside. Proper order

I finally took out the camera and the fish eye lens.

Here is my basement:

Records.jpg

I finally took out the camera and the fish eye lens.

Here is my basement:

Records.jpg

Its like a fu**ing record shop!!

Nice inheritance for the kids, can you dodge inheritance tax on a music collection being left to you? :)

Can you dodge inheritance tax on a music collection being left to you? :)

Actually I have no idea. I had never even thought of that. Don't have any kids to date, so maybe that is why.

Actually I have no idea. I had never even thought of that. Don't have any kids to date, so maybe that is why.

Need a coded lock on that door when you do have any!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Haven’t had a meaningful spin in probably 12 years since I went away pretty much full time for work around then, which transitioned into being settled at home and no time for decks!!

The setup was a set of Technics 1210’s and a Zone42 playing Serato scratch live…

Had CDJ’s knocking about the odd time too but always preferred the turntables…

Been itching to have a mix of some sort lately so picked up a few very cheap macs (iMac & MacBook Air) on eBay & Amazon as the last ones sh1t the bed… and low and behold I can’t install Scratch Live on them as the OS on the Mac’s is too new… so said I’d have a look at Serato DJLite which seemed to work quite well on the Mac’s in offline mode… Picked up a very basic Hercules Starlight controller for it for about €85 and suddenly I’m back in business.. having some great little mixes at my desk… I got the smallest one as it means I can travel easily with it…

Fecking delighted I am. It’s a very simple little controller but it packs a punch….

Even if I could get Scratch Live working again (my scratch box is the SL1 which is incompatible with Serato DJ Pro), the practicality of setting up turntables is very unlikely as I’ve never even had them set up in this house and we’re here 10 years!!!

Advertisement