Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AP Post - Whether to apply or not

• 28-10-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

There is an AP1 post advertised in my school. I have been teaching for many years now but only got my CID in my current school 3 years ago after a very long road of subbing and one year contracts. I am burnt out from it all and also find the job very stressful however with my situation I need more money for my future if possible.

I don't know whether to apply for the post or not as the extra stress would not be good for me personally however I would rise to the challenge if it came my way.

I have downloaded the application form and it really is a hard one to fill out with all the education jargon involved and examples requested.

Is it worth the effort? Should I be seen to be going for these so that I may get one in the future if not this one? I would also be afraid of making a fool out of myself in interview and then having to work with management etc afterwards and feeling foolish and maybe being looked at in a poor light.

Can someone in the know advise please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

There is an AP1 post advertised in my school. I have been teaching for many years now but only got my CID in my current school 3 years ago after a very long road of subbing and one year contracts. I am burnt out from it all and also find the job very stressful however with my situation I need more money for my future if possible.

I don't know whether to apply for the post or not as the extra stress would not be good for me personally however I would rise to the challenge if it came my way.

I have downloaded the application form and it really is a hard one to fill out with all the education jargon involved and examples requested.

Is it worth the effort? Should I be seen to be going for these so that I may get one in the future if not this one? I would also be afraid of making a fool out of myself in interview and then having to work with management etc afterwards and feeling foolish and maybe being looked at in a poor light.

Can someone in the know advise please?

Go for it. Yes it's worth the effort. No harm to show that you want to do more, and even if you make a balls of the interview, you can learn from it. It won't go against you in the future. No principal would look poorly on any colleague putting their name forward.

You mention stress, what would the ap most likely be? Year head?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seekingthetruth

Year Head I'm guessing but them I'm wondering if someone with another post (ap2) gets it instead would there post become available and then maybe I go for that too instead

Year Head I'm guessing but them I'm wondering if someone with another post (ap2) gets it instead would there post become available and then maybe I go for that too instead

Yeah you could. I don't know about your school, but with the amount of chopping and changing in schools these days, there are always posts up every 3 years or so. But go for the ap1, and then if that person gets it, they have to go interviews again, but this time you pretty much know exactly what the questions will be so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Depends on the post, and it also depends on the school, we have a 2 AP2 posts that are year head to 2 full year groups, that’s a huge amount of extra work. We have an AP1 post that has year head along with 3/4 other jobs. None of the posts in my school are worth it financially imo as a lot of extra work is required and after tax the extra money isnt that much !!

This will be a year head to one group post so good bit of extra money but its the stress Im worried about and long term - I have a lot of years left ahead of me and with the extra work and hassle but I want to get ahead in life too and have more money if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you're burnt out and stressed then that's a red flag.
    If you're not getting time off from your timetable (some schools do some don't) then it's going to get worse, maybe you might get an easier timetable next year!
    Depends on the school too though, you need support and good relationship from management , parents, teachers, guidance, learning support etc. for year head role.

9k for A post is 5 k after tax. Might stand to you for mortgage application or extra pension contribution etc!
    Or u could forego the stress and try and make that with exam correcting + invigilating, if your summers are free.

It's there any trusted yearheads you could have a chat with in the school? They could give you a peek behind the curtain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can you do grinds? Even declared at least the income is for a role you are already doing. If you are already stressed I would be cautious about adding even more stress to it. And A posts are not easy

This will be a year head to one group post so good bit of extra money but its the stress Im worried about and long term - I have a lot of years left ahead of me and with the extra work and hassle but I want to get ahead in life too and have more money if possible.

If you go into it for the money, you will be disappointed. It's for giving back to the school and the kids, and to up skill and move up the ladder. I've been ty coordinator and year head, neither was "worth the money". You have to want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

For me no it’s definitely not worth it. I would prefer to make extra money by superintending etc. Maybe someone who has a post could tell you what it’s worth after tax. I would say you would be lucky to come out with 4K net. For me I remember roughly I used to say deductions were about 62% for extra work but I know the way they deduct pension is worked out differently now.

No grinds as when I leave work I dont want to be doing the same thing I have been doing all day in my evenings and weekends, I see on the application form that now seniority is gone out the window for posts as well..... that to me says unless you are willing to be constantly doing stuff in extra curricular and are a complete "yes" person to everything you are ever asked to do then you wont go anywhere.... Eventually people who are in the school much shorter than me will start getting posts....
    I have done loads in extra curricular for years up until last year

• Advertisement

No grinds as when I leave work I dont want to be doing the same thing I have been doing all day in my evenings and weekends, I see on the application form that now seniority is gone out the window for posts as well..... that to me says unless you are willing to be constantly doing stuff in extra curricular and are a complete "yes" person to everything you are ever asked to do then you wont go anywhere.... Eventually people who are in the school much shorter than me will start getting posts....

That was a pretty big presumption to make. If you have a jaded attitude about the job already I really wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Eventually people who are in the school much shorter than me will start getting posts....

Yes, because they are suited to the position, have impressed with their application form and have performed well in interview. The removal of seniority levels the playing field, it's not a negative.

Ok I will wait and see what happens with future posts and I do see both of your points well

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

From everything you have said I would not in your situation
    Your motivation seems to be for the money . It won’t be worth it
    You are already stressed and verging on burn out but want to take on more work and more responsibilities (and there is a lot ) ?

I feel like you are also applying because you feel like you should be applying due to less senior members of staff going for it . Again that is not a good motive . Some people are suited to these rules and motivated to them . Some are not. That was one of the reasons seniority was removed . To avoid people who didn’t even want them ending up in the role for 15/20 years .

Do not apply for this one and do not let it bother you who gets it . Have a really good think over the next while about whether you ever want one in case another comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

... that to me says unless you are willing to be constantly doing stuff in extra curricular and are a complete "yes" person to everything you are ever asked to do then you wont go anywhere...
    Correct.
    Moody_mona wrote: »
    Yes, because they are suited to the position, have impressed with their application form and have performed well in interview. The removal of seniority levels the playing field, it's not a negative.
    Incorrect. It allows the principal to select people he/she wants to keep because they’d be difficult to replace, or because they don’t kick up much of a fuss.
    In our place, several senior teachers were passed over, in spite of more experience, and more done in the school, in favour of teachers who’d be difficult to replace and either had itchy feet (one gone since anyway) or had unsecure contracts and were likely to be snapped up by other “easier” schools if they weren’t given a reason to stay.
    It created no end of ill-feeling in the staff room, and the ones who got them know exactly why and are doing the absolute minimum in their new roles (for the most part) because they know that management are scared of losing them.

I agree with you RealJohn and tbh I do feel that seniority is a massive contributing factor to positivity in the work place and just to be clear my competition for the AP post would have far more seniority than me so I would certainly feel the pressure on that part plus how do you work with colleagues if they've been in the school far far longer and get passed over if want a post and have done loads over the years... its a really hard one...

I do want to go for it though and ok if I don't get it this time then hopefully in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I agree with you RealJohn and tbh I do feel that seniority is a massive contributing factor to positivity in the work place and just to be clear my competition for the AP post would have far more seniority than me so I would certainly feel the pressure on that part plus how do you work with colleagues if they've been in the school far far longer and get passed over if want a post and have done loads over the years... its a really hard one...

I do want to go for it though and ok if I don't get it this time then hopefully in the future

I know of cases where younger/newer teachers have gotten posts over far more senior members of staff and it has caused a toxic work environment to be honest. Not nice at all.

But then again what can you do. A level playing field seems fair to me. It's just that older teachers are less likely to go and them leadership and management courses that will get them posts imo.

Posts aren't for everyone anyway.

And to be fair, some older members of staff are brutal too. The removal of seniority was a good thing,it's fair, it's even. Anyone who takes the hump because someone younger than them got the job and therefore contributes to a toxic atmosphere can then only look in the mirror for why they didn't get it.

That being said, as with any career, sometimes a feckkn eejit gets it and slips through the cracks. They always get found out eventually and move on, I've seen it happen several times, just like I've watched eager younger staff burn themselves out after a year or 2 of it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That's gone the last two years.

If you only got your CID 3 years ago, you are not in your school that long anyway. Seniority is attached to your school, so this system gives you an advantage not a disadvantage. Your experience can't be taken away from you though.

Don't do it just for the money, if you have a post, you are expected to do the duties. If you are already burned out extra work on top of your current hours probably aren't worth it. If the year head position is in a school with excellent discipline where things run like clockwork then it mightn't be an issue but if there are ongoing issues you will have a lot of work coming your way.

The money is useful but there are other ways of making money, some of which have been mentioned on here.

If you go for it, a principal won't think any more or less of you, there will be plenty of people in for the job, some who already have a B post so it will be no surprise and some who you wouldn't put in charge of licking envelopes but want to move up the managerial ladder nonetheless.

Seniority is attached to your school, ...
    This is not the case. One of the successful candidates in our last round of posts was barely in the school a wet week and either got the same marks for seniority as someone who’d been there 6 or 7 years, or got more (since I’m not sure who is who on the list, aside from the person who got top marks).

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    This is not the case. One of the successful candidates in our last round of posts was barely in the school a wet week and either got the same marks for seniority as someone who’d been there 6 or 7 years, or got more (since I’m not sure who is who on the list, aside from the person who got top marks).

How long ago was that? Was it an ETB school, where seniority can carry? Seniority was also given out in bands, so you could end up in the same band as somebody even if you had more experience than them because the bands were determined by the person with the greatest seniority who applied for the job.

E.g. 20 marks going for seniority, split into bands of 5 marks. The person with the greatest years of experience applying for the job has 24 years completed. The bands are created based on that person's experience as follows:

19-24 years: 20 marks
    13-18 years: 15 marks
    7-12 years: 10 marks
    0-6 years: 5 marks

So a person with 13 years is getting the same mark as the person with 18 years.

How long ago was that? Was it an ETB school, where seniority can carry? Seniority was also given out in bands, so you could end up in the same band as somebody even if you had more experience than them because the bands were determined by the person with the greatest seniority who applied for the job.
    It was an ETB school but to the best of my knowledge, the guy didn’t come from another school in the same ETB (though I’m not 100% on that).
    I know how the bands work though, and I still fail to see how the person in question could have wound up in the top band (if they did), and I think it must have been them because anyone else wouldn’t have been in the same band as the person I know was in the top band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Out of curiosity, what are some courses one would have to complete in order to get an AP2 post? Might be something I'd consider down the line.

I've heard of people get them with little to nothing done and relatively new to teaching (no CID) . Then heard of people being refused with every course done under the sun.

Out of curiosity, what are some courses one would have to complete in order to get an AP2 post? Might be something I'd consider down the line.

I've heard of people get them with little to nothing done and relatively new to teaching (no CID) . Then heard of people being refused with every course done under the sun.

That can unfortunately come down to the principal choosing a favourite in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

That can unfortunately come down to the principal choosing a favourite in some cases.

Is there a case to be made i wonder for a minimum entry requirement for posts? Even something like a patrons course in leadership (I did one last year and boy was it some brainwashing effort) might encourage people to look at the role seriously rather than simply getting it because they live next door to the principal/ chair of BoM

I wouldn’t waste my time. As rainbowtrout said, if the principal wants to give it to someone else, they will. If they want to give it to you, they will. Short of having a nightmare of an interview, or the principal not caring who gets it, you’ll either have it or not before you walk into the interview.

RealJohn wrote: »
    I wouldn’t waste my time. As rainbowtrout said, if the principal wants to give it to someone else, they will. If they want to give it to you, they will. Short of having a nightmare of an interview, or the principal not caring who gets it, you’ll either have it or not before you walk into the interview.

I'd disagree with that. I mean you might get one or 2 dictators but on the whole I've seen far more positively surprising decisions than not. You have external people on the panel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Yes, posts are in the gift of the Principal. Of course its dressed up in all sorts of 'openness' but if the P doesn't want you, then you won't get it. None of the older teachers in my school have posts, it leads to all sorts of issues. Namely, inexperienced teachers in over their heads & the school suffering as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

As some contributors on here have stated ,"if your face fits with the Principal" the job is yours even before you go to interview.
    The other fact to note is that some interview boards,especially ETBs have the same lackeys on all the time and do NOT be fooled by the "outsiders" on the interview board,as those so called "outsiders" are lackeys from a nother ETB.I can list names (but cannot or I'd be in bother!) Its shocking the in bred nature of some institutions.I know when I was working overseas my CV was what mattered and then the interview whereas in good old Ireland ,as someone on here has already stated,if you happen to live next to the Principal or the Chair of the BoM your CV and interview do not matter much.
    (In fact the only reason you get an interview is to keep these lackeys in expenses and if you research a little bit you will find some of these are on a Golden Pension and have had a very full career with the ETB and will still not feel like giving anything back for goodwill.Last I heard the undertaker was putting false bases in coffins so that theses boys (and some girls also) can take their untold richess with them1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It depends on the needs of the school above all else.

Advertisement