Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JVC soundbar with 6 months free spotify £59 - Currys UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Will they deliver to a parcel motel address? I know Argos UK's eBay store won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Will they deliver to a parcel motel address? I know Argos UK's eBay store won't.

Not sure...have ordered it anyways...lets see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is this soundbar any good? Relative to the TV’s own speakers? My new tv has pretty poor sound, I don’t need cinema level quality, just an improvement on what I have now?

ratracer wrote: »
    Is this soundbar any good? Relative to the TV’s own speakers? My new tv has pretty poor sound, I don’t need cinema level quality, just an improvement on what I have now?

Per reviews its better than the TV...Dolby Atmos claim might be big over the top tho...TV generally has 20W speakers and this one is 100W so you would see improvement straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Yamanoto wrote: »

Just got delivery email from DPD.

Thanks op

• Advertisement

willah wrote: »
    Just got delivery email from DPD.

Thanks op

I have used parcel motel so hopefully shud get tomorrow if they dont mess it

Anyone spotify code yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Thanks for posting OP. Just put in an order myself. I had been looking at soundbars the last few weeks and had also cancelled my Amazon music A/C with a view to switching over to Spotify so the timing was excellent. While this is no state of the art Soundbar it's gotten decent reviews. Which magazine gave it 61%.

With Spotify being €9.99 a month it' nearly like getting a soundbar for free.

I used An Post's AddressPal myself so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭ooter

Will this fit in to PM's lockers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I got a device from Curry's in Eniskillen that gave me 6 months free spotify back in October last year. However the code would not work when I tried to register as I was not in the UK. Maybe that has changed now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I see some reviews here, tempted..but dialogue clarity on the tv is most important to me and some reviews seems disappointed?

https://www.reevoo.com/p/jvc-th-d679b-2-0-sound-bar-with-dolby-atmos-1

Any basic TV channel comes out as muffled like the speaker is in a box. So say talk shows or the news reporters voices sound terrible.
    My TV (apparently like most other TVs) only outputs as PCM so wont play Dolby through it however I connected my freeview box via my Xbox and that comes out as Dolby (according to the annoying display on the front of the soundbar) however the muffled talk remains... when watching normal TV. Sounds great for games/movies played through the XBox though.
    If you're idle for 15 mins it goes into power saving mode making you fish out the remote to turn it back on. I haven't found a way to disable it and it's really annoying.
    The display randomly tells you what mode you're in by scrolling across the front which is distracting and annoying, especially you're watching something intensely with the lights turned down. Again, I can't find a way to turn it off.

• Advertisement

I see some reviews here, tempted..but dialogue clarity on the tv is most important to me and some reviews seems disappointed?

https://www.reevoo.com/p/jvc-th-d679b-2-0-sound-bar-with-dolby-atmos-1

Any basic TV channel comes out as muffled like the speaker is in a box. So say talk shows or the news reporters voices sound terrible.
    My TV (apparently like most other TVs) only outputs as PCM so wont play Dolby through it however I connected my freeview box via my Xbox and that comes out as Dolby (according to the annoying display on the front of the soundbar) however the muffled talk remains... when watching normal TV. Sounds great for games/movies played through the XBox though.
    If you're idle for 15 mins it goes into power saving mode making you fish out the remote to turn it back on. I haven't found a way to disable it and it's really annoying.
    The display randomly tells you what mode you're in by scrolling across the front which is distracting and annoying, especially you're watching something intensely with the lights turned down. Again, I can't find a way to turn it off.

I wouldn't consider this at all if it was going for rrp of around €150. You can get much better ones around the €200 mark. You'll come across the same quality sound problems unless your willing to fork out around €200 for a decent set from my research into soundbars.

ooter wrote: »
    Will this fit in to PM's lockers?

will not.....but i have had instances in past were PM puts oversize items in a bigger compartment in the lockers on right side. Else 7 EUR and collection from their DEPOT !

Should have used parcelwizard !

I got a device from Curry's in Eniskillen that gave me 6 months free spotify back in October last year. However the code would not work when I tried to register as I was not in the UK. Maybe that has changed now..

probably register with UK spotify !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

razorronan wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider this at all if it was going for rrp of around €150. You can get much better ones around the €200 mark. You'll come across the same quality sound problems unless your willing to fork out around €200 for a decent set from my research into soundbars.

Thanks Razorronan. If you have any suggestions please let me know, but I need something small as possible with no separate woofer..

Samsung 450 was dirt cheap on Amazon italy few days back...worth keeping an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

probably register with UK spotify !

I tried that but did not work as it knew i was in ireland from ip. Contacted curry's to complain and they referred to the small print which says UK only.

I tried that but did not work as it knew i was in ireland from ip. Contacted curry's to complain and they referred to the small print which says UK only.

VPN is ur friend !!

Mine has been delivered at PM so thats good news....lets see how PM scans and delivers it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

out of curiosity when did yours ship, mine said it would be delivered yesterday but heard nothing since, when i check the dpd link they sent me it says its going to their depot ( which is all of 2 min drive to parcel motel)

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    out of curiosity when did yours ship, mine said it would be delivered yesterday but heard nothing since, when i check the dpd link they sent me it says its going to their depot ( which is all of 2 min drive to parcel motel)

It was shipped on 27th...and delivered today...should get PM checkin alert in the evening and parcel tomorrow

EDIT - IS this what you have ? I just checked its delivered at their depot.

Delivered
    Dpd Antrim South
    28/5/2020 at 10:22

We will deliver your parcel to your registered Parcel Motel at Parcel Motel Oversized. When your parcel is ready for collection, you will receive a secure PIN number via text message and email.

Received as oversized- €7 charged !!

Just collected at parcel motel..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I'm guessing il be tomorrow so. Did ya have to drive to depot?

I'm guessing il be tomorrow so. Did ya have to drive to depot?

Yeah

Setup and running !....Sound is surprisingly good for the size...also no issues with vocal videos etc..news everything is grand...

No issues of standby after 15 mins either ! Using hdmi arc for connection. Goes to standby when TV off and turns on when TV is turned on. No need ro keep two remotes.

Has custom EQ which was a surprise ! Came with all the cables too.

Now wait for the spotify code

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Setup and running !....Sound is surprisingly good for the size...also no issues with vocal videos etc..news everything is grand...

No issues of standby after 15 mins either ! Using hdmi arc for connection. Goes to standby when TV off and turns on when TV is turned on. No need ro keep two remotes.

Has custom EQ which was a surprise ! Came with all the cables too.

Now wait for the spotify code

Is it any good for music? I guess there's a bluetooth so you can connect your phone?

rks wrote: »
    Is it any good for music? I guess there's a bluetooth so you can connect your phone?

Yes it has bluetooth as well..just tried movies and live tv..its OK considering the price.

Yes u can have not tried it yet. Dolby definitely works not sure about atmos tho

• Advertisement

Checked bluetooth....you can skip songs using the remote as well if of any use...contacted them on twitter re SPOTIFY code and being told it can take 14 days to get it.

Advertisement