Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2020, 20:00   #31
thenightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zell12 View Post
Buses are sparsely occupied the last two days.
Cannot see the bus companies continuing in business long with such low usage

My bus was slightly less crowded on Friday morning so I managed to get a seat by myself with no one in front or behind me and open a window (no others were open, inexplicably). In the evening it was standing room only as usual. This bus is hourly as it is, and my employer has told us its business as usual. The driver on the evening bus was wearing what appeared to be gardening gloves too.

Be interesting to see what it's like in the morning.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 22:13   #32
dartboardio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironicname View Post
People like you need to be forced into compliance rather than make sensible personal choices.

Sad that the minority are going to make what's coming worse for the majority who are taking every precaution they can.

Look, I'm seeing people get absolutely abused on forums like this, or Facebook even, just for taking a walk on the beach with their family.

At the moment the numbers are rising, but yes it is still relatively low risk in ireland.

People are free to go for their walks in the park or on the beach, because when or if a lockdown is announced, they will be couped up in their homes for weeks on end.

So kill me for saying go out for that walk or day out, right now while you can.

While taking all precautions, hand washing, keeping distance..
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2020, 22:38   #33
gmisk

Due to get the Enterprise next Saturday morning.

Just wondering if anyone has been on it recently...is it busy etc.
15-03-2020, 23:30   #34
Ironicname

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio
Look, I'm seeing people get absolutely abused on forums like this, or Facebook even, just for taking a walk on the beach with their family.
Fair enough. I didn't say that though.

Quote:
At the moment the numbers are rising, but yes it is still relatively low risk in ireland.
No it's not. Relatively low risk as in its not as bad as Spain or Italy at the moment but the risk is still high.

Quote:
People are free to go for their walks in the park or on the beach, because when or if a lockdown is announced, they will be couped up in their homes for weeks on end.
I never said they weren't.

Quote:
So kill me for saying go out for that walk or day out, right now while you can.
I never did.

Quote:
While taking all precautions, hand washing, keeping distance..
Or staying off public transport and not saying that it is business as usual and life goes on normally.

It doesn't at the moment. And waiting for the government to forbid you to do something is not taking every available precaution.
15-03-2020, 23:37   #35
Infini

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
According to the NTA, demand was 15-20% down on Friday.
Definately calling Bullshìt on that stat I saw empty seats on morning rush hour trains in the middle of town and numbers are down significantly would put it closer to 40-50% less people around, with pubs closing now I'm expecting a 50%+ dropoff in the next few days.

I'd expect public transport to scale back to a Saturday service after Paddys day with few exceptions there simply won't be any point or demand in maintaining a full weekday service till this all burns out in a month or 2 and no I dont expect this to blow over in 2 weeks but far longer than that.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 09:09   #36
Jem72

I'd guess that the use of public transport will drop significantly given that so many office workers are working from home. But cutting services is not the answer. The level of service needs to be maintained so that those who have to travel have enough space to implement some form of social distancing.

Given that this is an unprecedented situation the government will have to step in with some extra payments to cover the increased operational costs. The service is still necessary for those who absolutely have to travel but the priority should be to reduce traffic so that no more than 50% of seats are occupied. Cutting back services won't help this.

Personally, I don't think I'll chance getting public transport for the next few weeks. The level of crowding is completely out of kilter with what is being allowed anywhere else.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 09:14   #37
thenightman

Bus is a about 40% full this morning. Still a few familiar faces from the commute, but mainly older people going shopping. Disturbingly, was also 4 German tourists, cameras dangled around neck and all, from the hotel near me. Fairly selfish.
Thanks from:
16-03-2020, 10:08   #38
Infini

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman View Post
Bus is a about 40% full this morning. Still a few familiar faces from the commute, but mainly older people going shopping. Disturbingly, was also 4 German tourists, cameras dangled around neck and all, from the hotel near me. Fairly selfish.
I'd say those tourists are leftovers who just had the rotten luck of travelling as this all kicked off, I'll expect them all to dissapear in a week or so expecially since many EU countries are starting to close borders to slow down this virus. Little point in going on holidays now with everything closing down.
(3) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 10:21   #39
devnull

I can't see current levels of service lasting.

That's even without a full lockdown
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 13:39   #40
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Bus should be enforced to run at half capacity anyway if they are to continue running, ie one person to a 2 seater.
16-03-2020, 13:57   #41
thenightman

Forgot to mention, the driver had the little holes in the screen door to the cab stuffed up with bits of rubber glove. Assume that as he's still breathing, it isn't stopping anything.

Just goes to show bus drivers are worried for their health. I know there's been lots of praise (rightly) for emergency service workers, but bus drivers are unsung heroes too in my opinion.
16-03-2020, 15:05   #42
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman View Post
Forgot to mention, the driver had the little holes in the screen door to the cab stuffed up with bits of rubber glove. Assume that as he's still breathing, it isn't stopping anything.

Just goes to show bus drivers are worried for their health. I know there's been lots of praise (rightly) for emergency service workers, but bus drivers are unsung heroes too in my opinion.
Lots of folk out there, outside of the obvious ones, doing vital work to keep the country going.

People working in supermarkets, pharmacies, factories, agriculture, all steps of the supply chain, working in power plants, water treatment plants, ISP's and datacenters, etc., etc.

Things will get much worse if any of these fail. Hopefully this is a reminder to everyone of the vital work all these people play in our lives.

For the rest of us, the most "heroic" thing we can do, is stay at home if we can and stay out of everyone elses way.

For Bus Drivers, I wonder if they could jerryrig a complete shield for the drivers cab. Big plastic sheet might do the job. Perhaps temporarily cancel fare collection, turn it into something more like the Luas.

Which has me thinking, I assume they have suspended ticket checking on the Luas and Dart.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 15:45   #43
d51984

Dublin Coach finishing up tonight.
16-03-2020, 17:14   #44
dashcamdanny

Both Unions are advising members not to accept fairs on the Wayfarer machine. Just wave people by. Pointless really. Lots of drivers refusing to take orders from the union.

Half assed idea .
16-03-2020, 17:30   #45
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcamdanny View Post
Both Unions are advising members not to accept fairs on the Wayfarer machine. Just wave people by. Pointless really. Lots of drivers refusing to take orders from the union.

Half assed idea .
Just use disposable gloves. That's what drivers in UK are doing.

No reason to not accept fares.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion