Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-01-2020, 11:42   #1
Irishder

Rosslare Ferry to Europe

Beat FM are reporting a new ferry company are very close to signing a deal to start a service from Rosslare to Europe.

It would be great for the region if this was reinstated.

Does anyone have any more details?
Advertisement
28-01-2020, 11:46   #2
gouche

Brittany Ferries i believe.

One ship doing alternate routes to Santander and another French port.
(2) thanks from:
28-01-2020, 12:04   #3
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouche View Post
Brittany Ferries i believe.

One ship doing alternate routes to Santander and another French port.
moving out of Cork?
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 12:10   #4
gouche

I don't know.
There's a thread in the Cork City forum suggesting that is the case though.

Ger Carthy, an independent general election candidate for Wexford, let it slip yesterday on Facebook about the new company coming into Rosslare.
All things point to it being Brittany Ferries but no formal announcement yet.
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 12:43   #5
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouche View Post
I don't know.
There's a thread in the Cork City forum suggesting that is the case though.

Ger Carthy, an independent general election candidate for Wexford, let it slip yesterday on Facebook about the new company coming into Rosslare.
All things point to it being Brittany Ferries but no formal announcement yet.
seems likely, can't imagine BF running identical services from Rosslare and Cork. New Ross bypass will make Rosslare a bit more reachable from Munster.

That would leave Ringaskiddy with no ferry services yeah?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-01-2020, 23:50   #6
AwaitYourReply

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
seems likely, can't imagine BF running identical services from Rosslare and Cork. New Ross bypass will make Rosslare a bit more reachable from Munster.

That would leave Ringaskiddy with no ferry services yeah?
I would wish Rosslare & Wexford every success if it manages to attract new business although; my only concern would be if it came at the expense of the Port of Cork and the greater Cork/Kerry and the south-west tourism region as a whole.

Brittany Ferries (BF) is currently the only car/passenger ferry operator between Cork to Roscoff, France and it also operates it's Cork to Santander, Spain and services depart from the Ringaskiddy Ferryport terminal in County Cork.

Port of Cork also benefits from the cruise liners business with 100 visits while Bantry Bay hosted 10 during the year 2019. Most cruise liner visits to the Port of Cork are hosted at a dedicated cruise terminal in the harbour town of Cobh, Co. Cork.
29-01-2020, 13:37   #7
satanta99

Cork to Santander is being changed to Rosslare to Bilbao.

Midweek Cork to Roscoff is also moving

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Maj...cc3ab6f0f0b-ds

No plans to move the main summer Cork to Roscoff service on the Pont Aven
29-01-2020, 19:07   #8
Eric Cartman

rosslare to bilbao intriuges me , driving holiday to sunny spain and only an hour and a bit down the road to the port.

It would be nice if BF did a bit more to make the ship more well equipped than the kind of ferry you get to hollyhead. But sure opens up some great travel possibilities.
(2) thanks from:
29-01-2020, 23:16   #9
AwaitYourReply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
rosslare to bilbao intriuges me , driving holiday to sunny spain and only an hour and a bit down the road to the port.

It would be nice if BF did a bit more to make the ship more well equipped than the kind of ferry you get to hollyhead. But sure opens up some great travel possibilities.
The service is primarily targeting freight as this is where it generates most of it's revenue I would imagine hence; the basic facilities. I'm quite sure if Brittany Ferries noticed a growing passenger demand over a prolonged period of time they would probably look at sourcing an alternative vessel as trends change over time. As ferry operators they probably need to ensure that they have an incoming revenue stream during the off-season when there are few tourists travelling these routes. If the route was to become very popular with passengers going forward Brittany Ferries are bound to analyse it and respond accordingly to the demand as they have done before with Cork Roscoff as the vessels used on that route have got bigger as demand has grown over the years.

Back in 1994 I recall using Brittany Ferries MV Duchess Anne (formerly the "MV Leinster" for the B+I Line which I think was originally built at former Verolme Dockyard in Rushbrook, County Cork) on the Cork to St. Malo route however; when the ship was subsequently sold, the route ex-Cork was closed only after about 2-3 seasons which was a shame at the time.

I think Brittany Ferries also came to an arrangement with a former ferry operator called, "Swansea Cork Ferries" which ran ferry services between Cork and Swansea in South Wales for a number of years.

Around the middle of the '90's decade, cheap air fares from airlines like Ryanair became a reality which would have negatively impacted the ferry sector's leisure business.
Advertisement
30-01-2020, 08:59   #10
Macy0161

I'd say it could do quite well, as lots are use to the drive to Rosslare, which is even handier from the east coast now. Poor timing for this summer season, as most would've booked by now.

We looked at BF to do Spain or the south of France (with our tent), but Cork was just too far this side. It will make our options for 2121 more interesting!
30-01-2020, 13:37   #11
Yakuza

Send a message via MSN to Yakuza
I did it last year (and have already booked again for this year) and while the drive to Ringaskiddy isn't too bad, having to drive 100 km fewer is welcome (even if the last 50 or so isn't motorway). Bilbao is roughly equidistant from my ultimate venue in Spain so that's not the end of the world either, but I'd welcome an earlier departure time (like say 4 or 5pm from Ireland) so we don't have to spend 36 hours on the boat which is fairly basic.
30-01-2020, 13:45   #12
cdaly_

The Cork-Santander schedule was interesting in that certain departures meant two nights on board while others were just a single night but a fairly late in the day arrival. I presume that doesn't change with a Rosslare-Bilbao route.
30-01-2020, 15:14   #13
Yakuza

Send a message via MSN to Yakuza
Depends on the departure time. Santander to Cork takes 27 hours, leaves at 1700 Spanish time and gets in at 1900 Irish time. It takes ~36 hours on the way down as it leaves Cork at 2230, so taking the 27 hours would be 0230 Spanish time. This is not allowed due to noise considerations, so they slow down on the way to Santander to arrive at 0800

If the ferry were to leave at, say, 4 pm there wouldnt be the same issue (though it might be an issue for the return trip).

I called them a few minutes ago, no official word yet but they expect the schedule to be materially unchanged from the existing one.

Last edited by Yakuza; 30-01-2020 at 15:46.
Thanks from:
30-01-2020, 18:15   #14
Irishder

What days are they sailing rosslare - roscoff. Hopefully Friday and returning Saturday. I miss the booze cruise
30-01-2020, 23:54   #15
AwaitYourReply

According to the Brittany Ferries freight website the average crossing time is X 26 Hours
Some departure and arrival times may vary up to 1 hour due to tidal conditions.
Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change.
2 departures per week ex-Rosslare
2 departures per week ex-Bilbao
Departure/Arrival dates & times not yet published
Timetable coming soon...

Source:
https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.c...ao-to-rosslare
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image