Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting out my house in france

• 01-06-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I need some advice

I have owned a house in france for 20 years, We stay in it each july, and one of two occasions a year.

we rent it to too people we know for a week each

my neighbour ,out there who is a pernickety sort,now tells me there are rules on letting out, tax implications ,insurance ,Town hall stuff.

Google could not help me, so I am on here. The google answers that I got were all for long term lets,but I am fairly sure that one section said, that if my turnover is under 5,000 euro per annum, I need not trouble the French tax authorities.

Any info/ thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Is it available in August? Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would engage with a french accountant/lawyer, worth it for the avoidance of any doubt...not worth risking advice on an open forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would engage with a french accountant/lawyer, worth it for the avoidance of any doubt...not worth risking advice on an open forum

I agree, the French love their bureaucracy. I would get some informed legal/financial advice. Would be well worth the cost in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Wine and dine your local mayor might not be a bad idea, so I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

We have a property in France that generates less than 5k a year in rental and we certainly do receive tax bills. I think they are off set by some of the other associated costs. Water, electricity, grass cutting etc. Its handled by a local accountant and and absolute minefield I will never ever understand how it all works. But I know there are heavy fines if you don't have the returns back in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thank you Jeff
    my total income will be under 1,000

re earlier suggestions about lawyers, this is a bigger minefield in itself. there are several ex pats websites who can answer most questions.

Thank you

Advertisement