Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-05-2020, 11:59   #1501
dePeatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Jenkins View Post
You say you live north of the town? Out near Glasson I assume. What you would have heard, would have been from Carnagh firing range owned by the Army. Most likely popping out a few mortars.
Yes near Glasson, not Carnagh as I am well used to the direction that comes from and the sounds they make. Seems to have stopped now.
Advertisement
24-05-2020, 21:16   #1502
horseofstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloc Party! View Post
Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks
Burgess Park which is beside the golden island and the river Shannon is a good place for a walk or run.
Thanks from:
25-05-2020, 07:48   #1503
White lighting

Quote:
Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks
What area of the town have you recently moved too and i will suggest a few places mose suitable to where you are living.
27-05-2020, 02:52   #1504
Bloc Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White lighting View Post
What area of the town have you recently moved too and i will suggest a few places mose suitable to where you are living.
Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I’m only about 5 minutes of a walk from golden island.
27-05-2020, 11:26   #1505
White lighting

Quote:
Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I’m only about 5 minutes of a walk from golden island.

You should be able to get a kick around in Jim's Field as its known down past Dunnes Montree on the left hand side. Every day while driving home i see people out playing and running in Iona Park on the west side of town either.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2020, 23:47   #1506
Ceirseach

Builders on site at boat club. Demolition next week I hear.
Thanks from:
29-05-2020, 07:45   #1507
dePeatrick

Well done to Athlone for giving Gemma O'Doherty the reception she deserved yesterday. Her speech was drowned out by chants of 'Go home Gemma'
31-05-2020, 15:46   #1508
Zubeneschamali

Boat club knocked
Thanks from:
01-06-2020, 16:07   #1509
horseofstone

When are the shops in the town centre shopping centre reopening does any one know ? And also Athlone library?
Advertisement
01-06-2020, 16:38   #1510
Prominent_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofstone View Post
When are the shops in the town centre shopping centre reopening does any one know ? And also Athlone library?
Clothes shops are meant to open the 29th I think, and most of the others are already open!
02-06-2020, 11:39   #1511
Mearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubeneschamali View Post
Boat club knocked

And will arise.
10-06-2020, 07:02   #1512
Randy Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dePeatrick View Post
Well done to Athlone for giving Gemma O'Doherty the reception she deserved yesterday. Her speech was drowned out by chants of 'Go home Gemma'
A better reception would have been people simply not turning up. She gets off on getting a reaction
(4) thanks from:
11-06-2020, 11:25   #1513
dePeatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Archer View Post
A better reception would have been people simply not turning up. She gets off on getting a reaction
Absolutely agree, But when I saw the crowd I diverted and drove down slowly by it, I would not normally do this but I think the total lack of live entertainment under lockdown made me curious, same for the people who joined it I think.

Best option ignore her completely, second best is boo her.
(2) thanks from:
15-06-2020, 13:42   #1514
veryangryman

Saw some work on the Greenway at the White Gates happening today. About fing time but good to see. Maybe the Greens getting the gig helped (although its likely more to do with the lockdown ending/reducing)
16-06-2020, 21:30   #1515
dePeatrick

Anyone interested in playing Petanque? A small group of us started playing in Burgess park last year and have resumed again today. We have spare sets of balls etc. Very easy learn and your level of fitness does not matter.

No we're not this good but we can dream

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion