Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s a 300nit screen so not near the higher end machines in that area. That said. I’d say it’s Unlikely your dell is twice as bright, unless it’s a top of the range XPS or similar Which would be incomparable price-wise. I personally think the brightness is fine although I do have it Set at max.

Its a dell latitude 7490, screen definitely twice as bright but so is the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Can anyone recommend an ebay seller I can get a Windows 10 key from? Can pm me if we are not permitted to post names here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Kolido wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an ebay seller I can get a Windows 10 key from? Can pm me if we are not permitted to post names here. Thanks.

Store.computeractive.co.uk

They look genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Has anyone found any decent sleeves for the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

MJ434 wrote: »
    Has anyone found any decent sleeves for the laptop?

I got this one-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0719QZBR1/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_TjI0EbKCFQ88F

Won't know fit wise til I get the laptop, but not too concerned. Quality is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

What's people's thoughts on below? Obviously not as good as original deal and probably a 6 week wait.

It's the ideapad 3, no dos software option. But can get the Ryzen 5, 8GB Memory and 256GB storage, IPS screen for around €550. Not sure if you'd get those specs at price point anywhere else..

Configuration Details
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.00GHz, 6 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software : Microsoft Office Trial
    Onboard Memory : 4GB DDR4 2667MHz Onboard
    Selectable Memory : 4GB DDR4 2667MHz SoDIMM
    Total Memory : 8GB (4GB Onboard+4GB SoDIMM) DDR4 2667MHz
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Optical Drive : None
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, 250nits, Anti-glare, No touch
    Display Solution : IPS Panel Solution
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Camera : 0.3M Camera with Array Microphone
    Color : Platinum Grey
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader Power Button
    Keyboard : Keyboard Grey English (UK)
    Wireless : Wireless 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Surface Treatment : IMR
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 45Wh
    Power Cord : 65W Wall Mount AC Adapter (2pin)-UK
    Language Pack : Publication-English

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xDerp

Has anyone installed Linux mint on theirs? I've a few driver issues, WiFi, touchpad, graphics are the ones I know about so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Its a very good laptop for the price of it. Touchscreen is good but I dont think the screen is that good - brightness and colour.

Screen brightness is set to 80% still my dell laptop screen is brighter at 40%.

The screen settings out of the box are awful imo.
    If you go onto the AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support and download the graphics driver, it allows you to customise the display settings - makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

Kolido wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058081930

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I bought my key off cdkeys.
    For a couple of more Euro I couldn’t be assed dealing with eBay.

• Advertisement

BikeRacer wrote: »
    The screen settings out of the box are awful imo.
    If you go onto the AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support and download the graphics driver, it allows you to customise the display settings - makes a massive difference.

be great if you could give more details on the customisation if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

be great if you could give more details on the customisation if possible

Once you download the driver from the link I posted, If you go to the start menu, you should now have a program installed called 'AMD Radeon Software'. Opening it will bring you to the homepage. In the top right corner, click on 'Settings', then 'Display'. It's here in the custom colour table you can make display changes.
    I've attached what mine are as an example, you may hate it so play around with it to find what you like.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Once you download the driver from the link I posted, If you go to the start menu, you should now have a program installed called 'AMD Radeon Software'. Opening it will bring you to the homepage. In the top right corner, click on 'Settings', then 'Display'. It's here in the custom colour table you can make display changes.
    I've attached what mine are as an example, you may hate it so play around with it to find what you like.

mighty, appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

Win 10 pro keys

https://touch.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-10-pro-keys/18678308
    7€.
    No affiliation
    Immediate Key post payment
    Less than 24hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s a 300nit screen so not near the higher end machines in that area. That said. I’d say it’s Unlikely your dell is twice as bright, unless it’s a top of the range XPS or similar Which would be incomparable price-wise. I personally think the brightness is fine although I do have it Set at max.
    Its a dell latitude 7490, screen definitely twice as bright but so is the price.

By any chance is one of you Ray Charles and the other Stevie Wonder? How do you cope with the screen brightness so high? My eyes would be melted out of my head!

bfa1509 wrote: »
    By any chance is one of you Ray Charles and the other Stevie Wonder? How do you cope with the screen brightness so high? My eyes would be melted out of my head!

Such high nits are most useful for when using outdoors in the daytime. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

sugarman wrote: »
    Good waste of €7. Dont need a key.

Don't need one, but like myself, lots of people like being able to use things like small icons, custom backgrounds, and don't want a watermark on thier screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

dos29 wrote: »
    Why?

You can use windows for free without a key and got almost toal functionality, you even get security updates, but you can't change backgrounds, can't use small taskbar icons, there are other minor limited functions, and there's a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen.

bfa1509 wrote: »

Nope, I usually keep the brightness low when indoors. Keep it at 40% on dell but on Lenovo anything hardly visible at that. So have to keep it at 70-80%.

Bright screen is quite useful when you are using your laptop outside. Dim screen is very hard to see when you are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for the insight. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its a very good laptop for the price of it. Touchscreen is good but I dont think the screen is that good - brightness and colour.

Screen brightness is set to 80% still my dell laptop screen is brighter at 40%.

Quite hard to find a Windows laptop with a bright screen. Tends to be all the expensive ones though.

https://www.laptopmag.com/benchmarks/display-brightness

But you need a bright screen if in a room with lots of natural light or outside.

Nope, I usually keep the brightness low when indoors. Keep it at 40% on dell but on Lenovo anything hardly visible at that. So have to keep it at 70-80%.

Bright screen is quite useful when you are using your laptop outside. Dim screen is very hard to see when you are out.
    Dell's own website specifies a max of 300 nits for the model you listed as per https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/latitude-14-7490-laptop/latitude_7290_7390_7490_tgb/display-specifications-for-latitude-7490?guid=guid-f85675db-145e-435b-ad73-923ecd9dc409&lang=en-us

This review found that the 300nits screen only got as bright as 278 nits: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-7490

Why do people make up obviously untrue stuff on the internet?

Dell's own website specifies a max of 300 nits for the model you listed as per https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/latitude-14-7490-laptop/latitude_7290_7390_7490_tgb/display-specifications-for-latitude-7490?guid=guid-f85675db-145e-435b-ad73-923ecd9dc409&lang=en-us

This review found that the 300nits screen only got as bright as 278 nits: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-7490

Why do people make up obviously untrue stuff on the internet?

If you haven't seen both the laptop side by side, how do you know its untrue? Not making anything up, telling this from experience since I have both laptops. I don't need to prove anything but will try to put up pics later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's possible they charged the screen spec during production. Some laptops use a couple of different suppliers for screens and you might get a different make depending on batch.

Some screens have different filters and coatings and different tech that might make them better than other screens. Same with mobile phone screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

xDerp wrote: »
    Has anyone installed Linux mint on theirs? I've a few driver issues, WiFi, touchpad, graphics are the ones I know about so far.

Not Mint but I have Fedora 32 on mine. Install went very smoothly and the WiFi, touchpad and graphics worked out of the box.

The only thing that doesn't work is the fingerprint reader because there's no Linux driver for it yet. Hopefully that will change soon:

https://fedoramagazine.org/coming-soon-fedora-on-lenovo-laptops/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Couple of things I've noticed since getting the laptop. I have the 4500u with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, USB-C charger.

You can change the amount of dedicated RAM allocated to the GPU to improve graphics performance. The setting is under UMA Frame Buffering in the BIOS. My laptop has 8GB RAM and it was set to 512MB. I upped it to 1GB. If I had 16GB I'd definitely up this to 2GB unless I was only every going to use the laptop for compiling. I've played Battlefield V, Forza 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on it and they all played beautifully.

Another thing I noticed is that in the manual it says that you can switch between the three CPU thermal modes (Intelligent Cooling, Extreme Performance and Battery Saving) by pressing Fn+Q. This does not work and I thought you could only change this setting through the BIOS. However if you download the Lenovo Vantage program, it has an option for switching modes without having to restart. There is also an interesting option in the VAntage program for the battery. You can enable rapid charge or an option that keeps the battery charged at 50-60% to prolong its life. This would be beneficial if you mainly used the laptop while connected to the mains.

The Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card is excellent. I was getting a near 1Gb/s connection was near my router and a steady 566Mb/s elsewhere in the house.

The May 2020 Windows 10 update didn't install automatically. Says that the laptop is not ready for it yet. I installed it manually via Windows update assistant and no problems so far.

The SD card is connected to the USB bus, so speeds for that are limited to USB speed.

The 256GB M.2 disk is extremely fast. I am getting 2300MB/s + 1500MB/s transfer rates.

If anyone has any questions, just holler.

If you haven't seen both the laptop side by side, how do you know its untrue? Not making anything up, telling this from experience since I have both laptops. I don't need to prove anything but will try to put up pics later.
    Because screens are produced on a binned production line.

Both devices are specced for 300nits, no combination of tolerances (e.g. 200nits vs 400nits) are ever going to exist in the real world, that's simply not how modern production lines work.

You're just waffling m8

Again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The deal in the OP seems to have expired. Could a Mod edit in the latest deal now being discussed?

Or is this more a general laptop deals thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement