Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dermaplaning.

• 28-05-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on this? Are there any genuine benefits to it, or is it really just a fancy term for shaving your face? I'd be semi-interested, as I have lots of peach fuzz and it seems like the ideal way to get rid of it, but I don't want to waste my money getting it done if an auld Bic razor in the bathroom would do the same job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I certainly wouldn’t be relying on running a blade over my face to rejuvenate my skin, personally. It’s gimmicky. With any blade you’re removing the hair over the surface of the skin. No different to shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The claims are that it's not just removing the hair, but the top layer of skin also, to reveal the new, youthful layer underneath. I have my doubts tbh.

Anybody actually had it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It does remove the layer of skin and that wouldn’t be a good thing! Wouldn’t have it done but researched it as I was initially going to train in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    The claims are that it's not just removing the hair, but the top layer of skin also, to reveal the new, youthful layer underneath. I have my doubts tbh.

Anybody actually had it done?

I've been doing this at home for the past two years. I probably do it maybe once a month, it completely removes the fuzz and does remove quite a lot of dead skin too.

My skin is sensitive for a couple of days after with some redness and the occasional nick so you have to be careful to use very basic skincare for a day or two afterwards. No harsh serums or acids just a basic moisturiser or a nightly sudocreme mask.

I can't tell if it's been any good for making me look younger etc but my make up goes on so well and smoothly after and there's no stubbly or dark regrowth of the fuzz at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Has anyone bought one of those face razors? I remember a couple of years ago, Joanne Larby, talking about a particular brand she used to buy in some English chemist chain but it seems to have exploded in the last few months.
    I got sucked in and bought one for €25.00 with a built in light, but I'm not sure what exactly I expected it to do.
    Anyone any experience with them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have done it for the last couple of years. I bought razors in Sephora the last time I was in there and also from Amazon. I am mid 40s now and my peach fuzz (the downy hair you can see when you turn your face sideways) is really bad. It's dropping oestrogen levels I think (oh yay!). But I hate the peach fuzz, it makes me feel like I have a golden halo on my face. Using the razor does exfoliate, the amount of dead skin cells that come off onto the razor is mental. That being said I absolutely would not bother just for the exfoliation. Once the fuzz is off my foundation sits much better. It is not sitting on the flippin hair anymore. The hair has not grown back any different but after a few days you have a bit of stubble which of course is what every woman dreams of feeling on their cheeks. I think it is great though. There are a few expensive tools out there but the cheap ones work just fine from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

I have done it for the last couple of years. I bought razors in Sephora the last time I was in there and also from Amazon. I am mid 40s now and my peach fuzz (the downy hair you can see when you turn your face sideways) is really bad. It's dropping oestrogen levels I think (oh yay!). But I hate the peach fuzz, it makes me feel like I have a golden halo on my face. Using the razor does exfoliate, the amount of dead skin cells that come off onto the razor is mental. That being said I absolutely would not bother just for the exfoliation. Once the fuzz is off my foundation sits much better. It is not sitting on the flippin hair anymore. The hair has not grown back any different but after a few days you have a bit of stubble which of course is what every woman dreams of feeling on their cheeks. I think it is great though. There are a few expensive tools out there but the cheap ones work just fine from what I can see.

How often do you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Every 3 weeks maybe. It takes less than a minute so it's not exactly an arduous addition to my beauty routine.

Advertisement