Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

Yeah I much prefer it. Yesterday was my 4 round since I was back and the first time I had to wait on a tee due to being behind a very slow group of ladies. They lost 2 and half holes on the group ahead. It was the first time we had got near any other groups.

I'd imagine clubs will use the use the 4ball option for weekend comps given they could get another 20+ people out each day.

I'd like to get back to 4 balls but I wouldn't like to go back to the 8 min gaping. It's not enough. 12 mins would be good. We haven't been held up yet with the 14 min gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fourballs will be permitted from 8th June. A couple of weeks earlier than originally planned.

https://www.golfnet.ie/News%20Listing%20Assets/Protocol_Phase2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I'd like to get back to 4 balls but I wouldn't like to go back to the 8 min gaping. It's not enough. 12 mins would be good. We haven't been held up yet with the 14 min gap.

8 mins is grand if everyone is on the speedy end of the spectrum, but thats not always going to be. So its too tight really. 14 gaps just build in such a buffer that you really shouldnt be held up, as it allows for the field concertinaing to the slowest out there. 12 would be good I agree and think a lot of boys who normally moan about slow play would like it as they would feel they are waiting less. Course busy today, but a few slow. Just nice actually, and club had a nice active buzz about it - good vibe, between the good weather and people just happy to be back swinging again. Its certainly good for the mood after the lockdown lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

GUI have just released statement that no competitions are going to be allowed to take place until Phase 3 (June 29th)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

To: Club Communication Officers
    FAO: Committees, Management, Staff, Members

Please note: This relates to golf clubs in the Republic of Ireland only. Clubs in Northern Ireland are copied for information purposes.

UPDATE: COMPETITIONS NOT PERMITTED IN PHASE 2

On Wednesday 3 June, at their most recent meeting, the Expert Group on the Return to Sport decided, on public health grounds, that no competitive sport should take place during Phase 2 of the Irish Government’s Roadmap for the Re-Opening of the Economy and Society.

Following further engagement with Sport Ireland, the GUI and ILGU can confirm that this sport-wide measure means that competition activity in golf clubs in the Republic of Ireland during Phase 2 of the roadmap is not permitted.

Although we had indicated to Sport Ireland some weeks ago that we had intended on including competitions from Phase 2, the Expert Group has been considering Protocols on a Phase by Phase basis and this week’s meeting focused on Phase 2.

We are glad to confirm that the Expert Group has approved the Unions’ proposal to allow four-balls in Phase 2.

As has been the case since the beginning of the public health emergency, we will continue to engage intensively with Sport Ireland and the Government and we will continue to update and inform golf clubs on any new developments as this fluid situation evolves.

A revised Protocol for Phase 2 is attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Poker Face wrote: »
    GUI have just released statement that no competitions are going to be allowed to take place until Phase 3 (June 29th)

Makes no sense at all to change stance and not allow closed club competitions

Surely they are just referring to inter-club golf??

HighLine wrote: »
    Surely they are just referring to inter-club golf??

No unfortunately they are not. Hard to understand the reasoning behind it. We were going to submitting our scores using phones so it makes no difference to players safety.

Poker Face wrote: »
    No unfortunately they are not. Hard to understand the reasoning behind it. We were going to submitting our scores using phones so it makes no difference to players safety.

Shocked at that. We have been working hard in the background getting our club ready for competitive golf (and a small bit of income) and they release this last minute statement. When the Government are relaxing restrictions. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

What's the reason for this. It just doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    What's the reason for this. It just doesn't make sense.

No competitive sport apparently.

No logic to it as we can have guests with members, play the same game but heaven forbid if you have a scorecard with you

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

After all the good news with the relaxation of other restrictions this makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Just a couple of observations and just supposition on my behalf. This move may be to deflect criticism around lots of golfers going beyond the 5 k limit and or its a move by the governing organisation to be in line with the lack of competitive sport in all other sporting codes.

Something stinks with this lads. To leave it to friday evening with competitions due to start on Monday is very amateurish.

Something stinks with this lads. To leave it to friday evening with competitions due to start on Monday is very amateurish.
    Why do you think they changed

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Just a couple of observations and just supposition on my behalf. This move may be to deflect criticism around lots of golfers going beyond the 5 k limit and or its a move by the governing organisation to be in line with the lack of competitive sport in all other sporting codes.

Horse racing is one of the most competitive sports there is, what a joke

Why do you think they changed

Your guess is as food as mine. The fact they waited until friday evening to announce it says a lot about them as an organisation. Clubs have been planning for competitions next week including digital scorecards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just read the text on the GUI website.

Nothing to do at all with scorecards or 5km limits or whatever.

Return to Sports Ireland or whatever some committee is called has decided that competitive sport (as in blanket sport not just golf) is not permitted during phase 2. GUI and ILGU then have decided that this means there are no comps allowed.

What a load of dickie. There is no other word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Just read the protocol and it says competions allowed if conditions in appendix 2 are adhered to. Appendix 2 is all about junior golf. Wtf

Totally agree, if it was anything to do with player safety then why can you have 4balls now and also bring guests to the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Nothing to do with player safety. Its just bureaucrat bullsh1t. As if the fkn virus wasn't bad enough we now have to put up with outright nonsense too. Thats another 3 weeks with no income for the clubs. Its absolutely braindead.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Gui getting lambasted on their Facebook page.

Their only response "it wasn't our decision."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not again PLEASE. There was no criticism other than by you

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Rage!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

slingerz wrote: »

No logic to it as we can have guests with members, play the same game but heaven forbid if you have a scorecard with you

Horse racing is competitive isn't it? This decision is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

If they knew on Wednesday why wait to tonight.

I’ve seen the amount of work that has gone into preparing clubs for competitions in line with risk minimisation. It’s not wasted work but didn’t need to be so rushed and stressful if not comps until the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm hoping this is just a misinterpretation with a bit of better safe than sorry thrown on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

It appears they were forced into this decision by Sports Ireland and I reckon other sports were concerned about the growth of golf plus golf been allowed competitions when most other sports can’t even play and the GUI caved into them.

Personally, I think this will be the end of protocols in golf and hopefully the GUI involvement In this process and clubs will now go their own way which was already happening.

Clubs are business and have to look after there members and financial interest.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not again PLEASE. There was no criticism other than by you
    Ok Gypsy 79, not sure why you posted above i have not criticized merely surmised the reasons for the backtrack. I agree its a load of me long lad and am mad to get playing competitively at this stage. Sure we can play together in Kilkea and set the world to rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

slingerz wrote: »

Run your own comps between a group of members, easily set up, Revolut entry, photo cards and send to designated WhatsApp group..I've details in another thread

Advertisement