Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

At this stage, I don't think there will be any championship going ahead this year even behind closed doors.

There's no way that restrictions will be eased to such an extent to allow mass gatherings of 50 plus people for non-essential activity by the start of June.

The current restrictions are in place until the 5th of May and at the moment it looks far far likelier that this will be extended as opposed to eased at that date.

Also when the restrictions are first eased, there will likely be a very gradual very slow easing of restrictions and the odds of them being eased to such an extent that matches could take place this year have to be vanishingly small. I would say matches (especially intercounty) would be well down the list in terms of restrictions being eased, probably close to the very bottom of the list [non-essential, risk of injuries and requiring medical staff, travel involved]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Exams are scheduled for late July though? Surely if exams can go ahead, games can, even if behind closed doors.

The Leaving Cert is currently schedued for late July, depending on how things develop and with July being very much a best case scenario.

Also in terms of how essential/vital the Leaving Cert is in terms of keeping the basic fabric of sociey in place it ranks a fair bit above the championship. The fact that is the Junior Cert has been pretty much binned is far more relevant.

For intercounty games to go ahead, you pretty much have to back at a situation where there are no restrictions whatsoever on travel anywhere in the island. There are intercounty players who have day jobs as doctors, as pharmacists, working in hospitals, working in shops, working as guards, in the army. Do you want to tell these people they aren't allowed play because the work they are doing is too valuable or do you want a situation where these people are forced to weight the risks ? A friend of a friend works in Santry Sport Clinic and normally they deal with mainly sport injuries but they have switched track and are providing some sort of back-up/cover for the HSE at the moment. How smart would it be to have ambulances and medical staff at games when the whole medical sector is under pressure? There has been a fair bit of talk about the possibility of a 2nd/3rd wave of infections come winter time and the possibility of a surge then. Would it not be wiser to try and let medicial staff on the front-lines rest/recuperate/take it some bit easy if things do quieten down some bit so the risk of burn-out is reduced as much as possible.

Overall to me it looks like a risk/reward problem and from what I can see the risk is far too high compared to any potential rewards. I'd almost go as far as to say that the GAA have made a mis-step here [if they announce provisional dates] and should have said there's serious restrictions in place and huge uncertainty about when the restrictions will be lifted, so we're going to wait until we know more before we proceed. I can definitely see the likeliest situation being where they announce provisional plans and then in a few weeks when the restrictions aren't relaxed, announcing those provisional plans are out the window and not being sure whether or not to have another Special Congress or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

This pretty sums up the response to anyone suggesting we should plough on behind closed doors.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

In fairness that’s American journalism so going to the extremes is the only way they know how to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Exams are scheduled for late July though? Surely if exams can go ahead, games can, even if behind closed doors.
    Late July or August is the timeframe and as Boom__Boom said that is based on a 'best case scenario'. Theirs no comparison in the logistics of both events either.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert is currently schedued for late July, depending on how things develop and with July being very much a best case scenario.

Also in terms of how essential/vital the Leaving Cert is in terms of keeping the basic fabric of sociey in place it ranks a fair bit above the championship. The fact that is the Junior Cert has been pretty much binned is far more relevant.

For intercounty games to go ahead, you pretty much have to back at a situation where there are no restrictions whatsoever on travel anywhere in the island. There are intercounty players who have day jobs as doctors, as pharmacists, working in hospitals, working in shops, working as guards, in the army. Do you want to tell these people they aren't allowed play because the work they are doing is too valuable or do you want a situation where these people are forced to weight the risks ? A friend of a friend works in Santry Sport Clinic and normally they deal with mainly sport injuries but they have switched track and are providing some sort of back-up/cover for the HSE at the moment. How smart would it be to have ambulances and medical staff at games when the whole medical sector is under pressure? There has been a fair bit of talk about the possibility of a 2nd/3rd wave of infections come winter time and the possibility of a surge then. Would it not be wiser to try and let medicial staff on the front-lines rest/recuperate/take it some bit easy if things do quieten down some bit so the risk of burn-out is reduced as much as possible.

Overall to me it looks like a risk/reward problem and from what I can see the risk is far too high compared to any potential rewards. I'd almost go as far as to say that the GAA have made a mis-step here [if they announce provisional dates] and should have said there's serious restrictions in place and huge uncertainty about when the restrictions will be lifted, so we're going to wait until we know more before we proceed. I can definitely see the likeliest situation being where they announce provisional plans and then in a few weeks when the restrictions aren't relaxed, announcing those provisional plans are out the window and not being sure whether or not to have another Special Congress or what.

That's exactly how I see it as well but until I saw it spelled out I didn't fully appreciate the impact on the players professions and day to day careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The only way there will be a GAA championship this year would be if the captains of each team played each other in the 2005 PlayStation 2 video game ‘Gaelic Games Football

A game so woefully bad that not even the inclusion of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh could redeem it

Actually, can somebody arrange this? It could be gas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Akrasia wrote: »
    The only way there will be a GAA championship this year would be if the captains of each team played each other in the 2005 PlayStation 2 video game ‘Gaelic Games Football

A game so woefully bad that not even the inclusion of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh could redeem it

That game was poison. Still couldn't wait to own it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Gas for who? The last time i played computer was back in the early 80s on an Atari or something like that. Never liked them. Waste of time. So terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Theres a new in development for the last number of years by an indie games developers Mojospin Studios titled 'All Star Gaelic Football'. Not sure what the status of the game is

There is a new AFL game out which is similar but think its a much bigger target audiance than GAA. Sadly think we may never see a new GAA video game

Imagine a football manager style GAA management simulator. Now that would be solid stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gas for who? The last time i played computer was back in the early 80s on an Atari or something like that. Never liked them. Waste of time. So terrible idea.

did you never hear of a joke?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Theres a new in development for the last number of years by an indie games developers Mojospin Studios titled 'All Star Gaelic Football'. Not sure what the status of the game is

There is a new AFL game out which is similar but think its a much bigger target audiance than GAA. Sadly think we may never see a new GAA video game

Imagine a football manager style GAA management simulator. Now that would be solid stuff

You can't really transfer in the GAA so it would be a tough sell really and be pretty limited.

I'd still by it.

That Mojopin game has been floating around a while.

http://gaelicview.com/all-star-gaelic-football-video-game-launch-kickstarter/

Nothing since 2018

http://www.mojopinstudios.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojopin/all-star-gaelic-football-video-game-for-console-an/posts/2161302

An Aussie Rules game being developed is the only way we'd get a Football game as well given the mechanics and cost savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You can't really transfer in the GAA so it would be a tough sell really and be pretty limited.

I'd still by it.

Nothing since 2018

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojopin/all-star-gaelic-football-video-game-for-console-an/posts/2161302

An Aussie Rules game being developed is the only way we'd get a Football game as well given the mechanics and cost savings.

http://www.tailteanngames.com/3.products.php

we had a hurling management game years ago but it turned out impossible. Too much emphasis on training

pgj2015 wrote: »
    did you never hear of a joke?

No. Why have you got one?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.tailteanngames.com/3.products.php

we had a hurling management game years ago but it turned out impossible. Too much emphasis on training

I missed that.

---

Chalky, back down.

Back down from who or what?

Back down from who or what?

The blow-in who has 10 posts in the GAA forum who is trying to wind ya up.

The blow-in who has 10 posts in the GAA forum who is trying to wind ya up.

Haha not at all man. No ones winding me up. Honestly i never check other posters post counts.

Have to say though im increasingly doubtful we'll see any action this year. The hope has been kind of sucked out of me by all the media. I felt good last week but the omens are not looking good.

Haha not at all man. No ones winding me up. Honestly i never check other posters post counts.

Have to say though im increasingly doubtful we'll see any action this year. The hope has been kind of sucked out of me by all the media. I felt good last week but the omens are not looking good.

Ah, I had to have a look before I said something. I misread his name as "PTH2009" and thought it was an off-personality interjection!!!

---

I've long given up on any sport this year. So if we get anything I'll be happy.

So glad the 5 was locked and loaded last year.

Ah, I had to have a look before I said something. I misread his name as "PTH2009" and thought it was an off-personality interjection!!!

---

I've long given up on any sport this year. So if we get anything I'll be happy.

So glad the 5 was locked and loaded last year.

For sure yea. Was fantastic. The good feeling is still pretty fresh for me. Winning an All Ireland is not just for that night or weekend or week. It bloody lasts for months and makes the winter so more bearable. And to cap it off me Da is from Tipp and i love the hurling as well and been to over 20 All Ire hurling finals. So couldn't really get much better GAA wise for me. But you could be right there may be absolutely nothing to look forward to this year. But we'll keep Sam for another year if thats the case ha. He loves it up here in the capital.

For sure yea. Was fantastic. The good feeling is still pretty fresh for me. Winning an All Ireland is not just for that night or weekend or week. It bloody lasts for months and makes the winter so more bearable. And to cap it off me Da is from Tipp and i love the hurling as well and been to over 20 All Ire hurling finals. So couldn't really get much better GAA wise for me.

Wait? You're mixed blood? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SLATTSY!!!! STONER!!!! PROUDDUB!!! C'MERE!!!!

But you could be right there may be absolutely nothing to look forward to this year. But we'll keep Sam for another year if thats the case ha. He loves it up here in the capital.

One of the few Corkmen who does!

• Advertisement

Wait? You're mixed blood? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SLATTSY!!!! STONER!!!! PROUDDUB!!! C'MERE!!!!

One of the few Corkmen who does!

Ha yea i am mixed blood alright. Nowt wrong with a bit of country blood it's good to mix the genetic blood lines up. I guess you are where you're from though and i'm 100% city slicker proud Dub in just about every way. With a soft spot for Tipp of course ha.

Ha yea i am mixed blood alright. Nowt wrong with a bit of country blood it's good to mix the genetic blood lines up. I guess you are where you're from though and i'm 100% city slicker proud Dub in just about every way. With a soft spot for Tipp of course ha.

I have to go a long while back to get out of the city, to Fermanagh of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd still by it.

Nothing since 2018

If I'm not mistaken the game back in 2005 or 2007 was as a result of a AFL game development that was then adapted for GAA

By the way can you play PS2 games onna PS4, because I still have the game but not the PS2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dobman88 wrote: »
    3 week extension so that brings us up to May 5th.

Forget about a championship this season lads

I'd tend to agree.

Regardless of official government recommendations or policy people will continue to social distance for their own safety and you cannot run a major sports competition with social distancing.

The league won't return either.

So Mayo are still league champions, yahoooo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'd tend to agree.

Regardless of official government recommendations or policy people will continue to social distance for their own safety and you cannot run a major sports competition with social distancing.

And Meath are still division 1. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd tend to agree.

Uh oh
    GAA release statement
    Nothing until at least July
    And
    They intend to play league games that affect promotion relegation etc

No surprise the GAA have released statement saying their wont be any intercounty games before start of July at the earliest. Im just glad they didn't come out and cancel the whole year as some thought they might. This still gives us some hope. They are rightly waiting to see how things develop. The season could still be played anytime in Aug - Dec. All we can do is wait and hope. But at least no crushing blow today that the year is a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

No surprise the GAA have released statement saying their wont be any intercounty games before start of July at the earliest. Im just glad they didn't come out and cancel the whole year as some thought they might. This still gives us some hope. They are rightly waiting to see how things develop. The season could still be played anytime in Aug - Dec. All we can do is wait and hope. But at least no crushing blow today that the year is a washout.

The crushing blow came yesterday when they announced social distancing is here to stay

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    The crushing blow came yesterday when they announced social distancing is here to stay

Come on Vinnie have some bit of hope. The GAA didnt cancel the season today. Im so deserate for good news this is as good as it gets today. We'll worry about social distancing in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Come on Vinnie have some bit of hope. The GAA didnt cancel the season today. Im so deserate for good news this is as good as it gets today. We'll worry about social distancing in July.

How the hell can you have a contact sport like ours with social distancing? Sooner people realise that barring a miracle we aint having a cship this year the better. GAA should have more or less said so today instead of giving people false hope

Advertisement