Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

So im looking at building my own machine and i have a summary of parts:

Processor: (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    Memory: (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
    Graphics: Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
    Storage Drive: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW

I assume id be good with those? I know the exact specs are not available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Could you stretch to a RT8 2080 Super? That's what I upgraded to recently

Is it not the same thing?

Whats the cost of that one as i cant find a link to it!

Is it not the same thing?

Wgars the cost of that one as i cant find a link to it!

No, definitely not. The models for RTX go 2060, 2070 and 2080 in order of specification. The higher the number the better.

Then there are variations of each. The Super variant is an overclocked version with higher performance.

The best card is currently the RTX 2080 Ti but that is crazy crazy money. The price of a good computer on its own!

So I went with the RTX 2080 Super. This one to be precise:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2080-GAMING-X-TRIO

The new version of flightsim is hopefully going to rely on the graphics card more instead of nearly all CPU so it's going to be a requirement to have a good card. Especially if you want the eye candy of lights, rain, shading etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

So im looking at building my own machine and i have a summary of parts:

Processor: (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    Memory: (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
    Graphics: Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
    Storage Drive: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW

I assume id be good with those? I know the exact specs are not available

Would it cost much more to upgrade to a i7-9900k? Flight sims seem to be more reliant on CPU speed than gfx cards.

Edit: Sorry I just saw Johns post. Interesting to see it’ll be more reliant on the gfx card.

• Advertisement

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Would it cost much more to upgrade to a i7-9900k? Flight sims seem to be more reliant on CPU speed than gfx cards.

Edit: Sorry I just saw Johns post. Interesting to see it’ll be more reliant on the gfx card.

That's just an assumption from me but probably an accurate one from the screenshots with all that gorgeous lighting, particles and shading.

It's a good point about the i7 CPU. I missed that in the OP. If you can then go for it but if it were either a better graphics card or an i7 then I'd go with the former.

thats a massive price!!!!!! :D

You can always upgrade the graphics card later on to be honest. No need to have it on day 1

John_Mc wrote: »
    Could you stretch to a RT8 2080 Super? That's what I upgraded to recently

I went to the 2070 Super from the 2060.

Its coming on Monday :D:D:D:D:D:D

Need a new Joystick and Throttle next.

Has anyone bought the Autopilot panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Few of the screenshots released yesterday:

DA40_7_Ryanbatc.png

COPENHAGEN_FalconUAV-2048x1118.jpg

DeshmindER.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It'll be pretty weird being able to land in that level of detail on the terrain, almost GTA-like...

that is absolutely amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

The latest discovery series is now available and focuses on airports...Here is the video

Jump quickly to 1:25 and you will see Donegal Airport, it looks absolutely amazing, link here

Absolutely incredible stuff. Hopefully they release the tools they're using to model the airports in their SDK. I'm sure they will

I cant wait, My FSX Steam edition has been very buggy and crashing, even on the new PC. Once i got not enough memory but i had it absolutely maxed out on every setting and i forgot to change it back and i was in Zurich which was payware and Aerosoft A320 so i was pushing the boundaries.

I hope they improve the physics of the aircraft. Standard Flight Sim aircraft are awful to control. I flew a fixed simulator in Dublin some years back and i was told it was as realistic as it got control wise and i couldn't believe how bad the standard FS 737 was.

I cant wait, My FSX Steam edition has been very buggy and crashing, even on the new PC. Once i got not enough memory but i had it absolutely maxed out on every setting and i forgot to change it back and i was in Zurich which was payware and Aerosoft A320 so i was pushing the boundaries.

I hope they improve the physics of the aircraft. Standard Flight Sim aircraft are awful to control. I flew a fixed simulator in Dublin some years back and i was told it was as realistic as it got control wise and i couldn't believe how bad the standard FS 737 was.

FSX is 32bit so the most memory it can use is 4GB for everything. It doesn't matter how much available RAM you have, once you exceed 4GB you get an out of memory error.

There's a discovery series video where they discuss flight handling and it looks like they've seriously improved it. You'll no longer get that flying on rails feeling which will be excellent.

Ahhhh! makes sense!

Cheers for that!

I really Hope Aerosoft release the A320 and A330 for FS20. The Blackbox A330 is terrible for FSX. Tho even the PMDG is a hard act to follow after Aerosoft's A320/1. Its hands down the best Aircraft available.

I wasted 40 euro on the A330/A340 from Black box. its quite plain and you cant import flight plans, you have to manually import them...

I really Hope Aerosoft release the A320 and A330 for FS20. The Blackbox A330 is terrible for FSX. Tho even the PMDG is a hard act to follow after Aerosoft's A320/1. Its hands down the best Aircraft available.

I wasted 40 euro on the A330/A340 from Black box. its quite plain and you cant import flight plans, you have to manually import them...

No it's not, not by a long shot. The Flightsim Labs is the only study level version of any airbus aircraft (and is priced accordingly).

Aerosoft will never produce anything on PMDG or FSL level of fidelity and that's fine for some. They look pretty but the underlying functionality simply isn't there.

No it's not, not by a long shot. The Flightsim Labs is the only study level version of any airbus aircraft (and is priced accordingly).

Aerosoft will never produce anything on PMDG or FSL level of fidelity and that's fine for some. They look pretty but the underlying functionality simply isn't there.

Maybe i need to check out newer releases. I have the 777-200 from years ago and some buttons wont work on the FMC such as the RTE button.

Also, Operations Centre wont appear anywhere on my computer. I have re-installed it so many times and never anything so i'm just left with the PMDG House colours.

• Advertisement

Maybe i need to check out newer releases. I have the 777-200 from years ago and some buttons wont work on the FMC such as the RTE button.

Also, Operations Centre wont appear anywhere on my computer. I have re-installed it so many times and never anything so i'm just left with the PMDG House colours.

Of course you need to compare the latest releases of PMDG to the latest release from Aerosoft.

PMDG up until recently were the standard setters for flight sim realism but they have a few challengers now such as Flight Sim Labs (the founder of which came from PMDG), Majestic and Leonardo.

Aerosoft target a different type of user, who doesn't want to have to spend 30 mins preflight to get going and that's fine for many. They look nice but aren't that realistic.

Have you ever actually used Airbus X from Aerosoft?

You can go straight into it or go Cold and Dark and it takes a good 20 minutes before you can push back.

Have you ever actually used Airbus X from Aerosoft?

You can go straight into it or go Cold and Dark and it takes a good 20 minutes before you can push back.

I used the previous version and have read the reviews.

Have you used the FSL A320? What I'm saying is the general consensus on both products. It's not just my opinion. The difference in pricing between the two tells you everything you need to know.

I used the previous version and have read the reviews.

Have you used the FSL A320? What I'm saying is the general consensus on both products. It's not just my opinion. The difference in pricing between the two tells you everything you need to know.

I'm sure its only available for P3D.

The latest version of Airbus X is fantastic. Its a pity they nly released the A330 for p3D

It's understandable that they didn't. FSX is dead now and has been for a few years.

Quite frustrated with FSX lately. id say i can complete 1 in 4 flights without crashing the sim, i was doing a sector from Moscow SVO to Amsterdam and half way through decent the sim crashed. Its not so bad with anything other than the Aerosoft Airbus as the FMC totally resets after you load a saved game in the Aerosoft and it never works right if you program it again mid air.

Seriously considering changing to P3D, even if FS2020 is released on schedule its going to take 6 months i guess before PMDG and Aerosoft have their flagship expansion packs for A320/A330 B737,777 and 747 available. Might just get the Academic Version of P3D and a A320/A330 to tide me over until next year.

Quite frustrated with FSX lately. id say i can complete 1 in 4 flights without crashing the sim, i was doing a sector from Moscow SVO to Amsterdam and half way through decent the sim crashed. Its not so bad with anything other than the Aerosoft Airbus as the FMC totally resets after you load a saved game in the Aerosoft and it never works right if you program it again mid air.

Seriously considering changing to P3D, even if FS2020 is released on schedule its going to take 6 months i guess before PMDG and Aerosoft have their flagship expansion packs for A320/A330 B737,777 and 747 available. Might just get the Academic Version of P3D and a A320/A330 to tide me over until next year.

Why haven't/wouldn't you move to P3D from FSX?

I'm pretty sure MS are working with the developers and 50 of them already have the SDK so we're not looking at very long to get the payware addons working in MSFS 2020.

Why haven't/wouldn't you move to P3D from FSX?

I'm pretty sure MS are working with the developers and 50 of them already have the SDK so we're not looking at very long to get the payware addons working in MSFS 2020.

Well i only got a PC 2 weeks ago, i havent has FSX in a few years as i was on Imac but i have a dedicated FS machine now.

What is the standard scenery like on P3D?

Well i only got a PC 2 weeks ago, i havent has FSX in a few years as i was on Imac but i have a dedicated FS machine now.

What is the standard scenery like on P3D?

If you have a new PC then it's definitely worth installing P3D. The standard scenery is about the same but the lighting and graphics are better and the performance is much smoother because they've taken FSX and improved it over time.

For example, it's now 64 bit instead of 32 bit. This is a huge step up as you are no longer limited by 4GB of virtual address space (not matter how much RAM you have).

If MSFS wasn't just around the corner I'd be recommending Orbx Global and landclasses but it's not worth the money for such a short period of time.

There really is no reason not to upgrade.

• Advertisement

yeah i think ill go for it. NO point in taking off if it wont let me land!

Advertisement