Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW ID.3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The mid range one gets me to mizen or malin head and most of the way home so hopefully won't really need a public charger unless I'm going to either.

To be fair thats impressive. And of course no excuse for folk now to buy into the EVs. If you can travel the length of the country and more on one charge, I'd be impressed ok.

But will it really do this? We all know predicted mileage and range from cars is usually way off true values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

VW have said that every dealership will have a rapid charger available to the public. Probably limited to the brand like the current Audi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

VW have said that every dealership will have a rapid charger available to the public. Probably limited to the brand like the current Audi ones.

The same as Nissan then. Their chargers aren't great BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ahh right was wondering seemed a bit to easy, deposit is gone once you order in September.

What do you mean by that?

You'll get the deposit back. Its not gone in Sep! :confused:

Its just not put against the car directly. You order from your dealer and pay them but you'll have the €1k back in your pocket to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I thought you could order it in September but had until April to cancel.

• Advertisement

Yea I thought you could order it in September but had until April to cancel.

I dont think thats right either. Sept is the official reveal in Frankfurt where you get to see the price and full spec. I dont think you will be placing your order in Sept. Early 2020 for the ordering and the ordering window will be open for 2 months to make up your mind.

"... and will invite you to place an order during our "priority ordering window" in early 2020."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah right so it could be up until April. We'll know what's on the horizon at that stage.

Does anyone know how many of the 200 are left?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

200 was a rumor I understood - I have seen nothing to confirm the figure of 200 so regard it as unsubstantiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I wonder will uncle Bjorn will get an opportunity to test the mid range launch spec in time before we are committed to purchase in January.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Irishjg wrote: »
    I wonder will uncle Bjorn will get an opportunity to test the mid range launch spec in time before we are committed to purchase in January.

Fully Charged might, they already got to test drive a very early one in south africa a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Irishjg wrote: »

Doubt it.....he is up the rear end of Tesla too much.....

The main markets are UK and Germany. Fully Charged and Top Gear got access last time so I would expect them to get first bash. Similar programs in germany got access as well so expect it to be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The main markets are UK and Germany. Fully Charged and Top Gear got access last time so I would expect them to get first bash. Similar programs in gerhttps://insideevs.com/news/345672/passenger-plug-in-electric-car-sales-in-europe-in-2018-by-country/#null/#4052533/many got access as well so expect it to be the same

Norway is the biggest market by far

You must not watch any Bjorn

The man is genuine and very unbiased, seems a top guy

[EMAIL="https://insideevs.com/news/345672/passenger-plug-in-electric-car-sales-in-europe-in-2018-by-country/#null/#4052533/"]https://insideevs.com/news/345672/passenger-plug-in-electric-car-sales-in-europe-in-2018-by-country/#null/#4052533/[/EMAIL]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I registered and paid deposit a few days ago, and apologies if I have missed posts on this elsewhere but has there been a discussion on why people would prefer ID.3 over Tesla 3?

For me:
    ID.3 reasons:
    - Lower price (guess)
    - I like being able to bring car to a local garage
    - I think VW can't mess this up, it's their full entry into EV market

Model 3:
    - Aesthetically nicer
    - Longer range (by a little)
    - Already proven (~100 produced now)

Question marks:
    - Which will have better tech? I really like how Tesla do it, hoping VW can match or beat it
    - Sexiness, I like the look of Model 3, the ID.3 looks very Golfy, I'm hoping final product is sexier
    - Government incentives off price/home charger install
    - Will golf clubs fit in the boot?

New cars bought in 2018 in Norway : 147k

New cars bought in Germany in 2018: 3.4 million
    New cars sold by VW in Germany in 2018: 640k

New cars bought in UK in 2018: 2.3 million
    No breakdown of total vehicles sold by VW in UK but they did sell 65k Golf's......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

New cars bought in 2018 in Norway : 147k

New cars bought in Germany in 2018: 3.4 million
    New cars sold by VW in Germany in 2018: 640k

New cars bought in UK in 2018: 2.3 million
    No breakdown of total vehicles sold by VW in UK but they did sell 65k Golf's......

Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The main markets are UK and Germany. Fully Charged and Top Gear got access last time so I would expect them to get first bash. Similar programs in germany got access as well so expect it to be the same

Have to say I am surprised at you slagging off Bjorn. He definitely loves Tesla cars but he is not backwards in highlighting their issues. When he picked up his Model 3 recently the first thing he did was walk around it pointing out all the panel gaps and paint defects. I'd love him to get a good run in an ID and do a review.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Have to say I am surprised at you slagging off Bjorn. He definitely loves Tesla cars but he is not backwards in highlighting their issues. When he picked up his Model 3 recently the first thing he did was walk around it pointing out all the panel gaps and paint defects. I'd love him to get a good run in an ID and do a review.

I am not slagging off Bjorn.

They made it clear in the recent test drives in South Africa the main markets are UK and Germany. That is why only 2 reviewers from these countries got the chance to test the ID....no other countries in the World got the option....even VW at the test said that UK and Germany are the biggest market for VW .....

The point of the ID is to sell to general public. Ask anyone on the street who isnt a electric car owner and they will have no idea who Bjorn is. Ask anyone who Top Gear is and they will know...

VW have numerous times given Bjorn eGolf to test. He will get an ID. But for initial launch he is hardly going to cover the target customers which VW want to cover.....

I have Bjorn facebook and the constant youtube videos about Tesla is very annoying.....nearly daily he puts up one about tesla sentry mode....if you are a new user and you look at that then automatically you will think he is very biased towards Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Have to say I am surprised at you slagging off Bjorn. He definitely loves Tesla cars but he is not backwards in highlighting their issues.

Only recently he was promoting independent Bosch accredited service centres to have your Tesla fixed as they were quicker and better value for money than the Tesla official service centres

He's got some free Teslas, but in my mind Nyland is 100% independent and honest. That's his USP and the reason he could chuck in the day job and become a full time youtuber

VW have numerous times given Bjorn eGolf to test. He will get an ID. But for initial launch he is hardly going to cover the target customers which VW want to cover.....

Stackmann referenced Germany and Norway as being the primary markets in europe with the largest volume of sales there.

Listen to the last 5mins of the press launch... he was fairly clear on it. He mentioned a few other markets as well but no mention of UK.

unkel wrote: »
    Only recently he was promoting independent Bosch accredited service centres to have your Tesla fixed as they were quicker and better value for money than the Tesla official service centres

He's got some free Teslas, but in my mind Nyland is 100% independent and honest. That's his USP and the reason he could chuck in the day job and become a full time youtuber

All valid but limited audience outside the electric car community

• Advertisement

I'd also guess that Fully Charged (and Top Gear too probably) got the nod because they're a global channel with a big following... nothing at all to do with being originally from the UK.

KCross wrote: »
    I'd also guess that Fully Charged (and Top Gear too probably) got the nod because they're a global channel with a big following... nothing at all to do with being originally from the UK.

They had 4 shows at the test. 2 from UK and 2 from Germany....

They had 4 shows at the test. 2 from UK and 2 from Germany....

Right, whats your point?
    They are global shows, not UK specific shows. They want to maximise their reach and they picked the shows/youtubers that would give them that max reach.

He clearly said Norway and Germany are the primary markets by volume.

Im sure that will change in time but for now its those two will lead the field.... according to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Has anyone had payment problems with the deposit? I had €1,000 pending in my account all week but now it’s disappeared, ie not pending and not charged. My order is still visible in My Volkswagen and I called customer care who also confirmed its valid but I’m worried something’s wrong. /insert Fry take my money gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mine went on May 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shabre

Shaybre - Volkswagen Connolly Sligo

Have been following these ID3 threads, disappointed to read that likely price could be €40k+
    I was ready to take plunge for Kona ev last year but baulked at €38.5k asking price (now €39.5k) from local Hyundai dealer. Was really hoping that VW would deliver 450 km range for €35k but this now looks very unlikely. Everyone I talk to says I would be crazy to pay €40k for an ev or for any car and to just hold on for a few more years till EVs become mainstream and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

Joe Duffy Volkswagen Navan (Meath)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Shabre wrote: »
    Shaybre - Volkswagen Connolly Sligo

Have been following these ID3 threads, disappointed to read that likely price could be €40k+
    I was ready to take plunge for Kona ev last year but baulked at €38.5k asking price (now €39.5k) from local Hyundai dealer. Was really hoping that VW would deliver 450 km range for €35k but this now looks very unlikely. Everyone I talk to says I would be crazy to pay €40k for an ev or for any car and to just hold on for a few more years till EVs become mainstream and affordable.

I'd say hold on until real prices are announced, then make your decision. At the moment all the posts regarding price are just informed speculation.
    By the time the ID is generally available it will have some fairly stiff competition in the shape of the Leaf62 alone and VW won't be able to price the ID too far above, even accounting for the supposed VW brand premium.
    Don't forget the SEAI grant too (it won't last forever - probably will be tapered away quietly over time).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silentreader

Frank Keane - Liffey Valley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shabre

pdpmur wrote: »
    I'd say hold on until real prices are announced, then make your decision. At the moment all the posts regarding price are just informed speculation.
    By the time the ID is generally available it will have some fairly stiff competition in the shape of the Leaf62 alone and VW won't be able to price the ID too far above, even accounting for the supposed VW brand premium.
    Don't forget the SEAI grant too (it won't last forever - probably will be tapered away quietly over time).

Yes will definitely wait and see until prices announced in Sept,. Hope those prices include local dealership cut as well

Advertisement