Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFL Season 2019 Discussion

• 16-04-2019 12:16pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit late starting this...

2019 up and running. Good to see some of the underdog teams starting well early and competing. Be great if they can sustain it. Some of the big sides or favourites struggling early too. Long season, still very open!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

To add to the first post of the season, nearly at the end now. Finals spots look fairly secure with just one spot up for grabs. Hard to call, Tigers are making a good surge at the right time and conversely, Geelong have looked poor lately. Eagles and Brisbane have been quite consistent in their play throughout. If NicNat comes back in, could be a huge boost for the Eagles.

So, the Grand Final is here, Richmond are there to no ones big surprise, however the Giants getting there is somewhat unexpected, particularly given their injuries coming into the finals. I had thought they had better sides in seasons past, but they have really come through at the right time this year. 2 big wins away with huge defensive stands at the end of the game.

I think Richmond will have enough to win this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I reckon GWS have one more big one left.
    De Boer to take out Dusty, Toby Greene back in will be big and if they can get Williams Whitfield & Davis up too.

I agree; if they do it, it'll have been built on their defence.
    This could be the game the Tigers really miss Rance.

Regardless, it should be a great game.

I reckon GWS have one more big one left.
    De Boer to take out Dusty, Toby Greene back in will be big and if they can get Williams & Davis up too.

I agree; if they do it, it'll have been built on their defence.
    This could be the game the Tigers really miss Rance.

Regardless, it should be a great game.

Grimes has really stood up to the plate since Rance went out. Has been superb. Even the way Geelong targeted Henderson on him just to nullify his effect.

Greene back is a big bonus, even if he is an utterly detestable player.

What an anticlimax of a final. Giants opened the scoring and just did nothing at all after that. Some beating. One of the worst finals in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

bruschi wrote: »
    What an anticlimax of a final. Giants opened the scoring and just did nothing at all after that. Some beating. One of the worst finals in a long time

I think even Tiges fans, as much as it was fun to relax and celebrate early, wanted bit more of a contest.
    I was in the GWS section and were shell shocked from about half way through second quarter, although I have to say they stuck fat and kept supporting their team to end. I found a bit of respect for their fans after the game tbh.

It will be interesting to see the the response next year from Giants. Defeats like that can either make or break teams. Adelaide imploded after 2017. Port did same after 07. They will either use the anguish to build a new resilience or will become irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I predict GWS to finish outside the top 8, Richmond to win again maybe...
    Think Collingwood and Geelong will be strong again also

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I think even Tiges fans, as much as it was fun to relax and celebrate early, wanted bit more of a contest.
    I was in the GWS section and were shell shocked from about half way through second quarter, although I have to say they stuck fat and kept supporting their team to end. I found a bit of respect for their fans after the game tbh.

It will be interesting to see the the response next year from Giants. Defeats like that can either make or break teams. Adelaide imploded after 2017. Port did same after 07. They will either use the anguish to build a new resilience or will become irrelevant.

Easy to get to know their supporters when there is only 5 of them! :D:pac:

Freo are another team who imploded after a GF too. Happens quite a bit really. Could even throw the doggies in there too after winning, which I suppose brings back the question did a team just get a great finals run and exceeded their true level?

Top 4 I think will be quite similar again, Richmond, Wet Coast and Collingwood I expect to be up there. Brisbane I'd like to see maintain their improvement, but it will be hard. How will Geelong bounce back? That core of their team is getting old, do they have enough coming through to support them? Will Melbourne or Essendon fulfil potential they have through their squads? And then the sleeping giants of Hawthorn and Sydney, it wouldnt take much for either to start being back competing at the top 4 again.

A crap end to the season is making it more intriguing to get the new season going again. For now, we just have the mindless trade period and the dance offs. Tim Kelly will be the biggest one. What will WCE give up for him I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

https://www.vipbox.lc/richmond-tigers-vs-carlton-blues-1-live

First game of the season this morning, nice to see some live sport . Guessing it will be gone by next weekend.

Advertisement