Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Village87 wrote: »
    Why did Cody drop him ?

I understood that maher left the panel of his own accord.. I rate him highly as a hurler..similar to Leahy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭robwen

Heard we have a new video analyst, has a very impressive CV. Hopefully he'll be listened to when highlighting the flaws in our game, which I assume he should be able to show them with ease after some of the displays from the last few years

Who is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

robwen wrote: »
    Who is it?

Ian Costigan from what I heard, not sure if he is bringing a team with him or doing it by himself, I suppose that depends on the budget the county are willing to spend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Ian Costigan from what I heard, not sure if he is bringing a team with him or doing it by himself, I suppose that depends on the budget the county are willing to spend on it.

Ian has done work for the Shamrocks over the last two years, I presume other clubs also..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

ClubFirst wrote: »
    Ian has done work for the Shamrocks over the last two years, I presume other clubs also..

Yeah he has worked for lots of teams in several sports and even sporting bodies. Very well respected from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Congratulations to TJ and Eoin Cody this evening.

A worrying note in Codys chat with Marty was him saying he was tipping away doing his own training not knowing if he was doing the right thing before getting the call for a challenge match. Here's the player from the 2019 U20 panel with the most obvious potential to move up to senior in 2020 and there's no continuity plan there. Farcical if true. Hopefully he just mis-spoke

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

Congratulations to TJ and Eoin Cody this evening.

A worrying note in Codys chat with Marty was him saying he was tipping away doing his own training not knowing if he was doing the right thing before getting the call for a challenge match. Here's the player from the 2019 U20 panel with the most obvious potential to move up to senior in 2020 and there's no continuity plan there. Farcical if true. Hopefully he just mis-spoke

Think your overreacting there. He said he was doing his own training before being called up to the squad. Said he didn’t know if that was enough because he had never played senior inter county before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Give him a break probably the first time he gave interview i say the word nervous would have been a problem. Well done to both TJ, Eoin.

In what possible way could you interpret my post as a criticism of Eoin Cody?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Takeyourpoints

Something a lot of people have been calling out for over the lockdown is that the GAA does work regarding how people are dealing with the situation and how it might affect their mental health. It's great to see that Kilkenny GAA have been posting videos of how various people from different walks of life have been dealing with lockdown. This seems to be a running series that they're doing with a different person talking in each post. These can all be found on the Kilkenny GAA twitter and Facebook and, while they won't help everyone, it can help some people to see how people have dealt with lockdown and adapted their lives. It's something small, but it's a step in the right direction and fair play to the likes of Eoin Murphy for getting involved.

Unfortunately as I'm a relatively new user I can't post a link but maybe someone else can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Rosita

greenspurs wrote: »

You can tell by his philosophical attitude to the parallel universe outcomes of the 2019 All-Ireland final that he's not a native anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KK36

Great discussion on the Kilkenny Radio GAA show last night with the new Coaching Officer Kieran Muldowney about Development Squads. He talked about some very good plans they have. Have to say it all sounded very good and very positive. There were some really good ideas in it. DJ Carey, Paul Murphy, Richie Power, Aidan Fogarty all getting involved.

KK36 wrote: »
    Great discussion on the Kilkenny Radio GAA show last night with the new Coaching Officer Kieran Muldowney about Development Squads. He talked about some very good plans they have. Have to say it all sounded very good and very positive. There were some really good ideas in it. DJ Carey, Paul Murphy, Richie Power, Aidan Fogarty all getting involved.

Can this be listened back to do you know?

Edit: Found it

Listened to it. At least there is a bit of thought going into it but I'd question who these early to mid 20 year olds are that are being entrusted with the 13 and 14 year olds. Also slightly disappointed to hear that the squads picked at the end of U14 are the U15 squad and there's no plan for that squad to be open bar "lads that are performing for their clubs and schools" but maybe that will work differently in practice.

Fresh ideas though which are always welcome so best of luck to those involved.

Listened to it. At least there is a bit of thought going into it but I'd question who these early to mid 20 year olds are that are being entrusted with the 13 and 14 year olds. Also slightly disappointed to hear that the squads picked at the end of U14 are the U15 squad and there's no plan for that squad to be open bar "lads that are performing for their clubs and schools" but maybe that will work differently in practice.

Fresh ideas though which are always welcome so best of luck to those involved.

But isnt that how it should be ?
    Senior players are picked on how they play for their clubs, then on how they are going in training with the seniors?
    How else should/could they be chosen?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

But isnt that how it should be ?
    Senior players are picked on how they play for their clubs, then on how they are going in training with the seniors?
    How else should/could they be chosen?

Basically current system means 24 players picked for Tony Forristal in August are the same 24 at training next March.

I personally think 90+ players should be playing trial matches in January/February (no club or schools games for players at this age).

Current system means that you have maybe 50 guys (A&B) are brought in at 14 and benefit from the S&C coaching etc until u17 when minor managers run trials, this means that the guy who blooms at 15/16 never gets a chance to take part in S&C etc and comes into minor trials at a disadvantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KK36

Basically current system means 24 players picked for Tony Forristal in August are the same 24 at training next March.

I personally think 90+ players should be playing trial matches in January/February (no club or schools games for players at this age).

Current system means that you have maybe 50 guys (A&B) are brought in at 14 and benefit from the S&C coaching etc until u17 when minor managers run trials, this means that the guy who blooms at 15/16 never gets a chance to take part in S&C etc and comes into minor trials at a disadvantage

I listened to it back again and from my understanding the numbers at 13 and 14 are huge, which is as it should be and much more than 24. The reduction to 50 only happens at the end of U14/start of U15. That means a lad has 2 years to get on the panel which is plenty.

I loved the idea of coaching specific items at stations. It sounded really good. Also, the idea of focusing on the skills at U13 and U14 and making the players really good at them before introducing tactical play is sound thinking too. Overall, it sounded interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

KK36 wrote: »
    I listened to it back again and from my understanding the numbers at 13 and 14 are huge, which is as it should be and much more than 24. The reduction to 50 only happens at the end of U14/start of U15. That means a lad has 2 years to get on the panel which is plenty.

I loved the idea of coaching specific items at stations. It sounded really good. Also, the idea of focusing on the skills at U13 and U14 and making the players really good at them before introducing tactical play is sound thinking too. Overall, it sounded interesting.

But 2 years are age 13,14 is not plenty.. for adolescents a summer up the field combined with a bit of a growth spurt can turn a chap from middle of the road into a fine hurler.

I personally think the net should be cast wide every few months.

I’ve seen guys at 15/16 who play midfield or centre forward for the club because needs must who are actually excellent corners backs or wing backs (whatever).. if you went to their club match you might think yeah he’s a decent bit of stuff but nothing hectic.. at a higher level (trial/school) etc these guys can show their ability clearer!

I certainly agree that the ideas seem good! I just think we can be quick to overlook real talent, and this is reflected in how many bolters we seem to get at u20

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

But 2 years are age 13,14 is not plenty.. for adolescents a summer up the field combined with a bit of a growth spurt can turn a chap from middle of the road into a fine hurler.

I personally think the net should be cast wide every few months.

I’ve seen guys at 15/16 who play midfield or centre forward for the club because needs must who are actually excellent corners backs or wing backs (whatever).. if you went to their club match you might think yeah he’s a decent bit of stuff but nothing hectic.. at a higher level (trial/school) etc these guys can show their ability clearer!

I certainly agree that the ideas seem good! I just think we can be quick to overlook real talent, and this is reflected in how many bolters we seem to get at u20

But he did insist panels are always open and lads like that will raise flags.standards of county squads should be really high they also spoke about not being a training ground for basic skills as they said they are not there to teach a lad to rise the ball.

Well done to all our camogie girls who won awards to night Denise Gaule getting player of the year.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Well done to all our camogie girls who won awards to night Denise Gaule getting player of the year.

Undoubtedly all fully deserved their awards last night. But it is becoming a bit of a farce they may stop calling it a alstar team .picking players in any position just to get them on the 15 same as the mens.Aoife doyle best corner forward buy a mile missing out.

Undoubtedly all fully deserved their awards last night. But it is becoming a bit of a farce they may stop calling it a alstar team .picking players in any position just to get them on the 15 same as the mens.Aoife Norris best corner forward buy a mile missing out.

That is what it was originally set out for the player in the position as you have said got the award not a player that had to be facilated for a position, heard Eddie keher talking about it a couple of weeks ago on national radio he said if a player was good enough they should be facelated on the team.

Undoubtedly all fully deserved their awards last night. But it is becoming a bit of a farce they may stop calling it a alstar team .picking players in any position just to get them on the 15 same as the mens.Aoife Norris best corner forward buy a mile missing out.

Aoife Doyle ...

Aoife Doyle ...

Mixed up the piltown women -:)

Good to see a player like Paul Murphy getting a piece wrote about him in the Irish independent , he served us well and all the best to him in his retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone interested there's a good interview with John Mulhall here.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-010-john-mulhall-ex-kilkenny-kildare/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement