Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 19:47   #91
Dohvolle
Registered User
 
Dohvolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
The Rosslare run has a long deviation to clear Lands End. Cork is a more direct sailing in that regards.
Not half as bumpy either. Lands end can be nasty depending on conditions. Cornwall can shelter you from a lot, but once you pass it you are exposed to everything the Atlantic is throwing at you, in relatively shallow water.
Dohvolle is offline  
Advertisement
03-02-2021, 15:19   #92
embraer170
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
The Rosslare run has a long deviation to clear Lands End. Cork is a more direct sailing in that regards.
I don't think there is a huge difference in distance between Cork and Rosslare.

Cork also has the issue of a rather slow sailing into the port after you pass Roches Point.
embraer170 is offline  
03-02-2021, 18:14   #93
kub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,070
The Brittany Ferries Armorique is currently making her way across The English Channel from Ouisterham and is due into Rosslare at 16:00 tomorrow to start up these new services.
kub is offline  
03-02-2021, 20:23   #94
Dohvolle
Registered User
 
Dohvolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by embraer170 View Post
I don't think there is a huge difference in distance between Cork and Rosslare.

Cork also has the issue of a rather slow sailing into the port after you pass Roches Point.
Normally a half hour or so from the point to the ferryport, depending on conditions. It's about 7nm plus manoeuvring into berth.
Dohvolle is offline  
Thanks from:
04-02-2021, 12:34   #95
roundymac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,659
No bad weather problems either unlike Rosslare where a puff of wind makes them run for cover.
roundymac is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2021, 12:56   #96
Dohvolle
Registered User
 
Dohvolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundymac View Post
No bad weather problems either unlike Rosslare where a puff of wind makes them run for cover.
Its a very rare situation when a ship can't enter Cork Harbour. That said, it can be lumpy enough inside the estuary, but you have shelter from most winds on 3 sides.
Watch out for the Southeasterly though.
Dohvolle is offline  
04-02-2021, 18:34   #97
Flipperdipper
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohvolle View Post
Not half as bumpy either. Lands end can be nasty depending on conditions. Cornwall can shelter you from a lot, but once you pass it you are exposed to everything the Atlantic is throwing at you, in relatively shallow water.
Both routes are basically the same until you clear Lands End then it's up to wind direction and sea conditions as to whether or not you have a bumpy crossing. One route is not necessarily rougher or smoother than the other.
Flipperdipper is offline  
04-02-2021, 21:07   #98
Dohvolle
Registered User
 
Dohvolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipperdipper View Post
Both routes are basically the same until you clear Lands End then it's up to wind direction and sea conditions as to whether or not you have a bumpy crossing. One route is not necessarily rougher or smoother than the other.
It can get you by surprise once you leave the shelter of Lands end. Last time I did it we went from painting on deck to hanging onto our mattress below deck in the space of 5nm. Never so pleased to see the Wexfurt coast.
Dohvolle is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet