Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hi all, i just applied for my second learner permit, i have two questions.

My I.B.T cert is expired i know ill have to very likely have to resit it but i have heard two conflicting things regarding this.

First i was told id only have to do a refesher course 1/2 day others have said i need to do full 2 days again. (I also know someone who did full driving test last year and the tester took his expired I.B.T cert no problem lad has full license now)

Any one know which it is ill have to do?

Second question

Is I.B.T still being done during lockdown? Do you have to buy / bring a headset of your own now?

For the test you'll need a valid IBT, that's the official word so while your mate was lucky if they ask to see your cert it should be valid. You won't need to sit the whole thing again assuming you have an A cert, resitting module 5 would be enough. You don't need to renew it now, just for the test. I'd suggest organising your ibt close to the test and see if the instructor will focus on test prep and give you a new cert rather than actually redoing the module. IBTs are privately run so it's best to contact an instructor to find out the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

zubair wrote: »
    For the test you'll need a valid IBT, that's the official word so while your mate was lucky if they ask to see your cert it should be valid. You won't need to sit the whole thing again assuming you have an A cert, resitting module 5 would be enough. You don't need to renew it now, just for the test. I'd suggest organising your ibt close to the test and see if the instructor will focus on test prep and give you a new cert rather than actually redoing the module. IBTs are privately run so it's best to contact an instructor to find out the requirements

I have an A cert did my previous IBT on a 750, my learner permit is for unrestricted access as was 25 when i got it, im 30 now lol.

Id be worried my insurance wouldn't be valid without IBT cert in date or does that matter?

How many hours is module 5? I still have my old IBT cert anyway to show IBT guy that I completed it before.

My no claims is expired too so im sure insurance company will laugh at me when i go to get quotes on gixxers and the like, I'll probably end up on a 250cc again like last time not ideal for full test tho.

I have an A cert did my previous IBT on a 750, my learner permit is for unrestricted access as was 25 when i got it, im 30 now lol.

Id be worried my insurance wouldn't be valid without IBT cert in date or does that matter?

How many hours is module 5? I still have my old IBT cert anyway to show IBT guy that I completed it before.

My no claims is expired too so im sure insurance company will laugh at me when i go to get quotes on gixxers and the like, I'll probably end up on a 250cc again like last time not ideal for full test tho.

You can still get cover.

At 30 insurance on a sensible 600 won't be ridiculous, if it was me I'd get something a bit older and just go TPFT to start with. I'm not sure how long module 5 is, 10ish hours I think, but as I was saying, try and find an instructor who will work around your scenario rather than wasting your time and money on doing the module by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

You can still get cover.

At 30 insurance on a sensible 600 won't be ridiculous, if it was me I'd get something a bit older and just go TPFT to start with. I'm not sure how long module 5 is, 10ish hours I think, but as I was saying, try and find an instructor who will work around your scenario rather than wasting your time and money on doing the module by the book.

I was 30 when I get the 800cc (its tuned down though to 53kwh) on my learners.
    was about 800 euro

goblin59 wrote: »
    I was 30 when I get the 800cc (its tuned down though to 53kwh) on my learners.
    was about 800 euro

With level of incompetence in the insurance companies in Ireland I'd say the restriction made no difference to the quote. The agents just tick a box: vfr800... Tick.

• Advertisement

With level of incompetence in the insurance companies in Ireland I'd say the restriction made no difference to the quote. The agents just tick a box: vfr800... Tick.

I had to be pretty insistent over the phone that it was 53kwh!
    only principle would cover me on it, but the BMW was a very good deal to buy.

I had to be pretty insistent over the phone that it was 53kwh!
    only principle would cover me on it, but the BMW was a very good deal to buy.

Only other thing to note is the value of the bike, how its stored/parked and the area you're in has a major impact. I had difficulty getting insured on a bike because it was not garaged and was worth more than 7k, I think that was the figure . That's why getting a cheaper bike will help keep costs down while building up NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Only other thing to note is the value of the bike, how its stored/parked and the area you're in has a major impact. I had difficulty getting insured on a bike because it was not garaged and was worth more than 7k, I think that was the figure . That's why getting a cheaper bike will help keep costs down while building up NCB.

That's very interesting. I am in the middle of shopping for a new bike but it wont be garaged...must be sure to lower my expectations and keep it below 7k.

That's very interesting. I am in the middle of shopping for a new bike but it wont be garaged...must be sure to lower my expectations and keep it below 7k.

get a ground anchor and disklock, it helps alot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

get a ground anchor and disklock, it helps alot

Got both of those all right. And 2 security cameras. I would not be able to sleep at night thinking that someone could just wheel the bike away.

• Advertisement

Got both of those all right. And 2 security cameras. I would not be able to sleep at night thinking that someone could just wheel the bike away.

I had to add the anchor and an approved gps tracker to get it insured so don't worry too much about the figure I gave you and speak to some insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2wheelsor42020

Am looking for some advice/experiences on the best bike to buy as a starter that is a 600cc, so can do the A test when it comes to. I have the IBT done and last hurdle is getting the bike now and getting some practice miles in. All advice welcome or if anybody knows of any decent bikes for sale or where is best to look would be great. Was thinking along the lines of bandits, fazer 600, hornet or maybe an ER6F?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

You have listed all good bikes there,

What style of bike are you into?
    What bike did you do your IBT Training on?

I done mine on a Fazer600 and it was a great bike, very easy to control at low speeds, etc.

I bought a CBR650F as I prefer a faired bike

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

Am looking for some advice/experiences on the best bike to buy as a starter that is a 600cc, so can do the A test when it comes to. I have the IBT done and last hurdle is getting the bike now and getting some practice miles in. All advice welcome or if anybody knows of any decent bikes for sale or where is best to look would be great. Was thinking along the lines of bandits, fazer 600, hornet or maybe an ER6F?
    TIA

I'd recommend sitting on as many bikes as possible at a dealers to get a sense of what you like and are comfortable on....lockdown permitting of course.

I did my training on an MT07 but that was out of my budget so got an FZ6 (2nd gen Fazer600) and I love it (but I haven't ridden any other 600s for context).

Very forgiving bike (imo) and easy to maintain with plenty of zip. Look out for any damage on the fairings as they are crazy expensive to replace (true for pretty much all bikes) if repair is not possible.

Suitable for A test as far as I know but check the VRC if it was restricted and the cert not updated as its a pain to get changed if bike no longer restricted (its a simple throttle stop to de-restrict). Good luck!

CBF600

4797f32159e8c26b1f62b00f254ede1d.gif

I did my lessons on a SV650, great bike! but really hard to find a good second hand one.

Make sure that you check the bike against the RSA list of bikes that are suitable for the A test.
    Mate of mine bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, but it has seriously low output for that engine size at 49kw so it isn't suitable for the A test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did my lessons on a SV650, great bike! but really hard to find a good second hand one.

Make sure that you check the bike against the RSA list of bikes that are suitable for the A test.
    Mate of mine bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, but it has seriously low output for that engine size at 49kw so it isn't suitable for the A test

I intend doing my test on an MT07, the instructor I have been going to uses them. I did find the bike a bit clunky or something though but it'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I did my IBT on a MT07, bought a SV650
    Love it.

Spotted someone on reddit said this evening to check your emails if you're on the waiting list that the RSA are sending out comms with a link to book a slot for the test.

Got 2 emails recently to say slots have become available.
    Both times I have logged in, and still nothing available.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Is everyone using this new RSA Website?

I registered on it last week and went to see what dates are available and it had slots available for wexford for next week?

In the end I couldn't put it through as the site was so slow it was dying every few minutes

• Advertisement

garlad wrote: »
    Got 2 emails recently to say slots have become available.
    Both times I have logged in, and still nothing available.

someone else is probably getting the same emails, I imagine the waiting list is first come first serve.

someone else is probably getting the same emails, I imagine the waiting list is first come first serve.

Probably this, if you're keen to get a slot I'd adjust my notification settings for their emails and make sure its set to push notifications.

Probably this, if you're keen to get a slot I'd adjust my notification settings for their emails and make sure its set to push notifications.

Got an email at 8:03 this morning. Logged in at 08:06.
    Nothing available

garlad wrote: »
    Got an email at 8:03 this morning. Logged in at 08:06.
    Nothing available

Maybe try logging in at 8am each morning ahead of the emails.

Maybe try logging in at 8am each morning ahead of the emails.

Have you called up the help line?
    I think I got mine over the phone, they just called up and said are you free this time and I said yes, send me the schedule over the email and I'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

No emails for myself, booked Aug 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Taylor365 wrote: »
    No emails for myself, booked Aug 2020.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2wheelsor42020

robbie_63 wrote: »
    You have listed all good bikes there,

What style of bike are you into?
    What bike did you do your IBT Training on?

I done mine on a Fazer600 and it was a great bike, very easy to control at low speeds, etc.

I bought a CBR650F as I prefer a faired bike

Thanks for the help. Yeah i'm a fan of the faired bikes myself but am not too concerned on that atm just trying to get a suitable bike for myself to get some good miles on. I did the ibt on a bandit 600 and found it quite good and comfortable so was thinking of getting similar if I can find a well looked after one out there somewhere.
    I'd recommend sitting on as many bikes as possible at a dealers to get a sense of what you like and are comfortable on....lockdown permitting of course.

I did my training on an MT07 but that was out of my budget so got an FZ6 (2nd gen Fazer600) and I love it (but I haven't ridden any other 600s for context).

Very forgiving bike (imo) and easy to maintain with plenty of zip. Look out for any damage on the fairings as they are crazy expensive to replace (true for pretty much all bikes) if repair is not possible.

Suitable for A test as far as I know but check the VRC if it was restricted and the cert not updated as its a pain to get changed if bike no longer restricted (its a simple throttle stop to de-restrict). Good luck!

yeah I'd be in the same boat as you when you were starting as I don't want to spend too big on my first bike for obvious reasons at the same time.

Thanks for the help. Yeah i'm a fan of the faired bikes myself but am not too concerned on that atm just trying to get a suitable bike for myself to get some good miles on. I did the ibt on a bandit 600 and found it quite good and comfortable so was thinking of getting similar if I can find a well looked after one out there somewhere.

yeah I'd be in the same boat as you when you were starting as I don't want to spend too big on my first bike for obvious reasons at the same time.

I was happy to take a chance, as I knew the bike I imported could have been sold pretty quickly if I didn't like it as there weren't many in the country, the only other one was going for 2k more than what I paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Bigserious1

Anyone need a free lucky Learner Vest around Dublin?

Advertisement