Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

No some start much later then that.

Im thinking of jumping on one of those night marking ins. 91---- staff numbers are getting marked in now. They look very handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmarian94

Darrenv25 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I completed the online written assessment last night, the invitation email stated I should have received an automated email reply when completed I haven't received this, should I get onto them to ask if it submitted or is this normal.
    Thanks
    Hi
    Any help with this assessment?
    I have mine on 19 January and I don't know where to found a few examples about reports
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Darrenv25

mmarian94 wrote: »
    Hi
    Any help with this assessment?
    I have mine on 19 January and I don't know where to found a few examples about reports
    thanks

Its the exact same as the practice test they sent you just longer, 7 or 8 fare calculations but the table us there for you to look at then 1 written report the practice is a wing mirror hit a bus stop and cracked the one I did on the actual assessment was a stone was thrown through an upper deck window and broke, then a couple of statements and 4 answers you arrange in a best to worst answer think there was 5 or 6 of them but that's it then handy enough took about 15/20 minutes to do

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

CloneeBohs wrote: »
    With the new restrictions, will my driving assessment be pushed back? Due on the 13th of this month

I would like ask you how long you wait for your driving asseasement? I waiting my long

With the new restrictions, will my driving assessment be pushed back? Due on the 13th of this month

Sorry I didn't say hello Hi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've done a few nights on the 39a, and the pressit box has driven me mad It's hard to keep on time when there are no passengers at the bus stops no cars on the road and all lights are green I tried ignoring the calls from the control and he sent the chief inspector to track me down and told me to wait in the bus stop....

No agreement in place....

It's actually getting to be like harassment and also a distraction.

Drive to the conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What's the medical like I've heard they're strict on bmi and I would be on a little on the overweight side more so because I am a big build. So wondering if I should lose a few before I'm eligible to apply.

GT89 wrote: »
    What's the medical like I've heard they're strict on bmi and I would be on a little on the overweight side more so because I am a big build. So wondering if I should lose a few before I'm eligible to apply.

Strict enough alright, if you can do it do so as it's a job where you will pile it on so easy it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

Soule26 wrote: »
    I would like ask you how long you wait for your driving asseasement? I waiting my long

I did my online test in July or August, got called for assessment in January

I did my online test in July or August, got called for assessment in January
    Good morning Cloneebohs thank you for your response I did my online text in October and i passed so I was wondering why is taking long to get invitations but now I know is long way to go

• Advertisement

Darrenv25 wrote: »
    Its the exact same as the practice test they sent you just longer, 7 or 8 fare calculations but the table us there for you to look at then 1 written report the practice is a wing mirror hit a bus stop and cracked the one I did on the actual assessment was a stone was thrown through an upper deck window and broke, then a couple of statements and 4 answers you arrange in a best to worst answer think there was 5 or 6 of them but that's it then handy enough took about 15/20 minutes to do

Thank you very much

I need an example of how you did that writing rapport. if you have some time to help me.
    I mean what you write etc
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm 6ft and was 15st at the medical, I was heavier than I thought I was. My blood pressure, sugar/cholesterol levels where all perfect though. Passed the medical and was told to try and lose a stone.

Then I got sent to school where the instructor went to Harristown for breakfast every morning and you get a free dinner in the slop house.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

No agreement in place....

It's actually getting to be like harassment and also a distraction.

Drive to the conditions.

Don't worry, Those annoying distractions will be gone when the routes are given to another company....

Can't keep to the time because it's quiet out.... be a lot quieter when the routes are being worked by another company.

LastStop wrote: »
    Don't worry, Those annoying distractions will be gone when the routes are given to another company....

Can't keep to the time because it's quiet out.... be a lot quieter when the routes are being worked by another company.

How would any other companies compete with db.

LastStop wrote: »

Its not as simple as just slowing down and a proper process has to be implemented. There is not point holding buses in busy bus stops as you stop other buses from picking up passengers safely. You cant stop in the middle of the road and you cant drive up the road a 10kph.

There is not proper agreed solution . This is a management problem. Not a driver one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Its not as simple as just slowing down and a proper process has to be implemented. There is not point holding buses in busy bus stops as you stop other buses from picking up passengers safely. You cant stop in the middle of the road and you cant drive up the road a 10kph.

There is not proper agreed solution . This is a management problem. Not a driver one.

It's not simple, but it also isn't as complicated as a lot of drivers make out. My tactic on a trip where I have far too much time is to leave the first stop 4½ minutes late (which is technically still 'on time' as far as the NTA is concerned). Every time I stop, I pull in really smoothly and as close to the kerb as possible, handbrake on, kneel the bus down, wait til people are seated before pulling away, etc. Wherever possible, make a bit of conversation with boarding passengers. If I need to pull in and wait a few minutes, I do it at a less busy bus stop and move off as soon as another bus needs to serve it. You're right, you can't drive up the road at 10kph, but you can safely do 30 through a built-up area. That's why it's important to have those four or five minutes in your pocket - because sometimes you have no choice but to drive at a normal speed.

It's an NTA problem. They shouldn't have introduced these rules without first of all doing something to alleviate the effect that private cars have on buses. At least then it would be possible to design consistent and reliable timetables. But it is what it is, and complaining about it just makes the job harder and more stressful than it needs to be.

.anon. wrote: »
    It's not simple, but it also isn't as complicated as a lot of drivers make out. My tactic on a trip where I have far too much time is to leave the first stop 4½ minutes late (which is technically still 'on time' as far as the NTA is concerned). Every time I stop, I pull in really smoothly and as close to the kerb as possible, handbrake on, kneel the bus down, wait til people are seated before pulling away, etc. Wherever possible, make a bit of conversation with boarding passengers. If I need to pull in and wait a few minutes, I do it at a less busy bus stop and move off as soon as another bus needs to serve it. You're right, you can't drive up the road at 10kph, but you can safely do 30 through a built-up area. That's why it's important to have those four or five minutes in your pocket - because sometimes you have no choice but to drive at a normal speed.

It's an NTA problem. They shouldn't have introduced these rules without first of all doing something to alleviate the effect that private cars have on buses. At least then it would be possible to design consistent and reliable timetables. But it is what it is, and complaining about it just makes the job harder and more stressful than it needs to be.

Where did you see the 4 1/2 min gap for not being late? As far as i am aware, its 3 mins.. According to control that it. If you wait more that 3 without sign on, the route drops off the Real time signage.

If it is the company will get fined for late departure as well.

Any drivers stressing over this or even going out of their way is mad.

A covid timetable should have been set up for the way things are.

All duties without breaks so no interaction with others especially now as what we are been told it's more serious now then ever before.

Numbers travelling are way down, traffic much lower and so on.
    If a Driver takes it upon themselves to drive slower then a granny on a mobility scooter then that's just not on, it will turn people away from public transport and the other road users end up stressed and will take even more risks to get by.

Drive to the conditions and not a box above your head.

Kneeling the bus at every stop if not needed is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

Where did you see the 4 1/2 min gap for not being late? As far as i am aware, its 3 mins.. According to control that it. If you wait more that 3 without sign on, the route drops off the Real time signage.

If it is the company will get fined for late departure as well.

It's six minutes as far as I'm aware.

Any drivers stressing over this or even going out of their way is mad.

All duties without breaks so no interaction with others especially now as what we are been told it's more serious now then ever before.

If a Driver takes it upon themselves to drive slower then a granny on a mobility scooter then that's just not on, it will turn people away from public transport and the other road users end up stressed and will take even more risks to get by.

Kneeling the bus at every stop if not needed is just bizarre.

Your dam right.

If you were on your test or even out on Vanguard, and you slowly crept up the road, you would fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Lots of things should be done, but aren't. It is how it is. Relevant to the thread, I'd advise anyone considering bus driving as a career to try not to get too bothered about how things should be, because you'll end up finding the job a lot more stressful and annoying.

Missing the bus because it turned up early is more likely to turn people away from public transport. It gives people the false impression that drivers are a law unto themselves.

Kneeling the bus at every stop if not needed is just bizarre

What's bizarre about bringing the bus to the same level as the pavement when passengers are getting on or off? I would've thought stuff like that was just good practice.

Like it or not, the box above your head is part of the job now. It's not going to go away.

I'd imagine it would take too long to do up all new schedules just for covid then put these new bills through the unions. From my relatively limited knowledge of public transport scheduling it takes months to do up new schedules not weeks and by the time that's done traffic volumes will be closer to normal. Didn't GAI do up new timetables for covid and by the time they were implemented traffic was normal.

How's that working are drivers not handing over mid route anymore how does that work out? I'm guessing duties are shorter to compensate not having a break.

Hi guys

I had my assessment today and I have a few questions.

How long it takes to get an answer from them?
    Do I have to pass this assessment to go to the next step?

How long they will call you for medical?
    Thanks

I'd imagine it would take too long to do up all new schedules just for covid then put these new bills through the unions. From my relatively limited knowledge of public transport scheduling it takes months to do up new schedules not weeks and by the time that's done traffic volumes will be closer to normal. Didn't GAI do up new timetables for covid and by the time they were implemented traffic was normal.

How's that working are drivers not handing over mid route anymore how does that work out? I'm guessing duties are shorter to compensate not having a break.

No I was saying bring in something like that.
    We are still breaking and handing over in service.

No I was saying bring in something like that.
    We are still breaking and handing over in service.

Ah. I thought they had the canteens all set up for social distancing and had perspex up between the tables.

Ah. I thought they had the canteens all set up for social distancing and had perspex up between the tables.

They do but still does be way to many in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

mmarian94 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I had my assessment today and I have a few questions.

How long it takes to get an answer from them?
    Do I have to pass this assessment to go to the next step?

How long they will call you for medical?
    Thanks

Next step will be driving assessment and interview which will be held on the same day in Phibsboro

Medical will be the last stage before reference check and then the offer.

No idea of the waiting time because of this new lock down.

My new driving assessment date is the 3rd of February so it must be full steam ahead recruiting again

My new driving assessment date is the 3rd of February so it must be full steam ahead recruiting again

Hi
    That's good news and I wish you good look for the driv
    ing assessment and the interview

• Advertisement

Any last advice/words of wisdom before driving bing assessment and potential interview?

Advertisement