Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please: Winter Pike/Perch fishing, Midlands rivers/canals

• 05-01-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi!

As my boy is off school all week, we were hoping to do a bit of fishing, but I'd like to know we're not completely wasting our time (apart from the nice fresh air and nature) ...

We have some frozen deadbaits and enough spinners - Mepps etc - to pass a few hours.

Any tips for type of location, best method etc? We tried deadbsiting and spinning on our local stream for a few hours the other day with no success, but we have access to the Grand Canal - if it's not frozen over!

Any help appreciated. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd focus on the canal for spinning. Find the deeper holes, harbours and locks and see what's around. Should be plenty of pike and perch if you can tempt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for that. Might try the canal for a couple of hours at the weekend. We can try both methods, for a bit of variety.

Would you recommend changing location regularly if nothing happening? In the summertime I've sometimes spent nearly an hour spinning for pike in one location, and then just when I thought I was wasting my time I'd get a take out of the blue. The guy in the tackle shop said in winter the difficult part is finding fish (as opposed to choosing the right method or lure).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SonicTheGerHog

Hi Manuel, i would keep moving for sure. I've found the ledgering to work on the bottom for 30 mins in each spot until I find fish. The fish will be on the bottom for sure with this cold! I had never done ledgering before but if you google running lead rig you will see they are easy to set up

Advertisement